App Review Dr.Web Security Space - Prevention Protection - ransomware test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Thanks for test :)

do you know the name of those ransomwares which DrWeb faild against them?
one of them was Cerber, i don't know why its faild against cerber ! i will ask , usually when DrWeb add a ransomware or i don't know any kind of malwares to its database, also know that malware's behavioral algoritm...

i'll track this question down with supports :D

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

one of them was Cerber, i don't know why its faild against cerber ! i will ask , usually when DrWeb add a ransomware or i don't know any kind of malwares to its database, also know that malware's behavioral algoritm...

sorry, I don't know exactly because I executed 3-5 samples at a time so it's not easy to find out which one encrypted the files. I have to watch the video again, pause, find the sample, upload to VT, not easy actually

but don't worry, it's very rare that you catch 0-day ransomwares. Usually you are protected by signatures

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
but don't worry, it's very rare that you catch 0-day ransomwares. Usually you are protected by signatures
and lets don't forgot that in real world i'm using DrWeb data loss prevention too ( its something like Webroot rollback but its diffrenc is DrWeb rollback eny changes on files in less than 1 sec.. ):rolleyes:

Dont know?

cruelsister tested it & find it good. She may know if BB can be tested by disabling realtime protection. Hope she give the info here.
i'll mention her here,
@cruelsister

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Can you test Quick Heal?
Would love to see this one, too :)

Thank you @Evjl's Rain for the comprehensive test :)
Dr. Web has some long way to go in terms of ransomware...

@Mr.Pr I've tracked down (might have missed some):
Cerber, which surprised me
Locky (no secret, Dr. Web failed every time I tested it)
Spora
.Lock (seems to be a brazilian one)
JackPot
Ishtar

Not in the HUB :D Have seen a few ransomwares being missed by Dr. Web signatures after days, with major detections, too (in vid reviews). But actually you're right :)
Good news that Dr. Web works flawlessly alongside VoodooShield :)

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
I've tracked down (might have missed some):
Spora
JackPot
Ishtar
thanks Ben :D

anybody knows these ransomwares are able to bypass SD ? because if they can then i cannot test them in my host machine ( i'm using SD on my host machine )
by the way i need to execute them, find their .exe files which can infect a system that already protected by DrWeb, then sent those samples for DrWeb and ask them what is going on with their BB..

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014

anybody knows these ransomwares are able to bypass SD ? because if they can then i cannot test them in my host machine ( i'm using SD on my host machine )
by the way i need to execute them, find their .exe files which can infect a system that already protected by DrWeb, then sent those samples for DrWeb and ask them what is going on with their BB..
With pleasure :)

I haven't seen anything bypass SD from the time I've been using it (28.02.2016 till now on), have been testing Q360 TS and CIS 8 before I moved on to Dr. Web.
The worst thing I noticed was all my work lost inside the SD layer because of BSOD (forced restart) or a malware causing a restart not blocked by the AV. A backup and the absence of any vital data that might find it's way into dark places on the net are a must of course, as is a VPN.
As for the samples, you could ask @Evjl's Rain either for a link to the samples pack or ask for the unique SHA256 to search for the files on HybridAnalysis / Reverse.it (both use the same login as they belong together).

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014

so parham is kaheymal Dr.Web and he tell sherover do't worry :D

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Would love to see this one, too :)

Thank you @Evjl's Rain for the comprehensive test :)
Dr. Web has some long way to go in terms of ransomware...

@Mr.Pr I've tracked down (might have missed some):
Spora
JackPot
Ishtar

Not in the HUB :D Have seen a few ransomwares being missed by Dr. Web signatures after days, with major detections, too (in vid reviews). But actually you're right :)
Good news that Dr. Web works flawlessly alongside VoodooShield :)
yes Dr.Web really weak against Locky ransomware and win lock malware...I confirmed :)
Kaspersky catch them with just system watcher :D

W

Wave

You don't need to worry about malware bypassing Shadow Defender, the chances of it happening are very slim. However, it is not safe to use Shadow Defender for malware testing on your main system... Problems such as identity theft can still occur, and if you have VPN running then malware will still be able to intercept it's functioning and disable it remotely. For example, the changes are reverted by Shadow Defender, however programs can still manipulate the memory of other programs and prevent things from functioning properly - since it can do this, it can still perform actions such as steal information (data theft) from other software and access other information related to browser history, etc.

It is much safer for you to work with a Virtual Machine, where the VM is designed to only be used for malware testing - no personal information stored on it, no personal important documents, etc.

for example i can say Norton still cannot block ctb-locker ( not that the old one ) with its SONAR ! why is that? no one knows
this time i will not let it go till i got an answer :confused:
Norton Sonar works based on monitoring the execution flow of the program being executed and monitored - sadly they just are unable to create an identification system for CTB-Locker; it's more difficult than you think and a lot of testing has to be done when developing these sort of behavioral components since the last thing you want is to end up a bunch of false positive detection's flagging up on your customers systems. A better alternate would be for them to implement a proper anti-ransomware component which: identifies suspicious file modification attempts, and blocks off the Master Boot Record from modification via a device driver to prevent ransomware samples like Petya or general bootkits.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.