App Review Dr.Web tests (daily updated)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Samples found by @Der.Reisende 19.12.2017 - #20

My newest video:
Samples found by @Der.Reisende 22.12.2017 - #20

I made a few improvements in the second video:
- Timestamps
- Higher scaling
- I made more cuts but I didn't speed up the video

(Translation: (this is a spoiler!)
1. I let the firewall disabled because it is by default unchecked in the installer.
2. The task manager got blocked.
3. The files got encrypted.)

Do you have any tips for me? :^ The videos are unlisted because I still test some things.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Samples found by @Der.Reisende 19.12.2017 - #20

My newest video:
Samples found by @Der.Reisende 22.12.2017 - #20

I made a few improvements in the second video:
- Timestamps
- Higher scaling
- I made more cuts but I didn't speed up the video

(Translation: (this is a spoiler!)
1. I let the firewall disabled because it is by default unchecked in the installer.
2. The task manager got blocked.
3. The files got encrypted.)

Do you have any tips for me? :^ The videos are unlisted because I still test some things.

Second video was a pleasure to watch, you hit it right regarding the speed, and cut it perfectly IMO.
I also like the timestamps, and providing the key findings of the test (like file encryption).

What preset are you using for Dr. Web? No idea whether using the highest preset - "paranoid" - will change the outcome by much?
PC_Preventive1.JPG PC_Preventive1_1.JPG PC_Preventive1_2.JPG
There is such a setting for Scan Mode in SpIDer Guard, too.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
What preset are you using for Dr. Web? No idea whether using the highest preset - "paranoid" - will change the outcome by much?
It may sound strange, but I like it better when an antivirus fails the test. Of course I'm testing fair and I like it when I see that Dr. Web score good.
Therefore, all the settings I use are standard and defined by Dr.Web (preventive protection is on optimal mode). If I would test with the paranoid mode then Dr.Web would pass the test every time. My goal is to find weak points.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Dr.Web Lite been a real pleasure so far on my old tablet with no notable slowdown or annoying ads.
This is a huge advantage of Dr.Web products. The interface for the desktop is clean, easy and fast to use (mobile probably also). For example, if you want to disable real-time protection in other anti-virus software, you have to confirm that you really want it at least 5 times. With Dr.Web it goes without problems and with 3 clicks. This is one of many goals that Dr.Web wants to achieve or has already achieved.
Dr.Web for mobile is very light. That's why it has the suffix "Light".

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
The next video with the latest samples of @Der.Reisende. Please be critical and criticize everything that annoys you. This is the only way to improve quality. Even if it you want to criticize little details. Thank you!

Very nice test, thank you for sharing!
Maybe I missed it, but I would suggest to use TCPView for Windows
There have been some samples in the pack calling out. Some might not trigger firewall alerts if injecting to legit services (related to all packs, not only this one).

EDIT: It‘s interesting that ZAL did not detect the running processes vbc.exe, systeminfo.exe by the time of my tests.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Dr. Web was one of my greatest purchase mistakes. 10 licenses, 3 years, Security Space 11 or whatever.

It's firewall is intrusive and lackluster, not supporting the 650Mbps speed I have. Dr. Web adds latency and slowdowns overall to every machine, even my Ryzen 7 box has noticeable delays after installing it. False positives and random blocking of things without notifications are very annoying.

That's a license that will unfortunately - never be used.

Reactions: AlanOstaszewski

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
It's firewall is intrusive and lackluster, not supporting the 650Mbps speed I have. Dr. Web adds latency and slowdowns overall to every machine, even my Ryzen 7 box has noticeable delays after installing it. False positives and random blocking of things without notifications are very annoying.

That's a license that will unfortunately - never be used.

I don't want to say anything about the firewall. I always leave it disabled in the test.
I can only agree with the second part. This software has no signatures from trusted applications and that's very sad and not good. That's the worst thing about Dr.Web. I spoke to two Dr.Web employees about this. They forwarded it. The support is first class.
But you are a user with completely different requirements. Dr.Web is testing vxCube (this is a product that you could find interesting). Hopefully it'll be out next year. It would I think solve all problems we're facing with false positives.
But I am more concerned about the video than the test result. What do you think of that? :)

Reactions: Der.Reisende

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Here's a few video pointers/tips. As there is no deeper " introduction " other then the 3 parts written in the background it can be hard to follow what happens and why. It could help to some extense try add something that highlight the mousepointer more as even I have a hard time follow where it goes and I even use the fullscreen and the HD option to see better.

IMO use a English OS and software versions as it's just a virtual machine anyway and for you it shouldn't matter but for most that watch and possible wants to learn it's many time everything even if the GUI is the same.

Keep it up! (y)

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
First of all, I want to thank you.
As there is no deeper " introduction " other then the 3 parts written in the background it can be hard to follow what happens and why.
I want to add a voice-over in German and English subtitles to my videos in the future. This should help you. So far I'm trying to add descriptions as much as I can.

It could help to some extense try add something that highlight the mousepointer more as even I have a hard time follow where it goes and I even use the fullscreen and the HD option to see better.
One question: Do you look at your mobile phone or your computer? I don't know if you're watching reviews from other YouTubers, but the elements on the screen of them are much smaller than mine. I have applied a scaling factor of 150%. This should be sufficient. I'll make the cursor bigger and change the color.

IMO use a English OS and software versions as it's just a virtual machine anyway and for you it shouldn't matter but for most that watch and possible wants to learn it's many time everything even if the GUI is the same.
I do this on my to-do list!

Keep it up! (y)
Thank you!

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Here's a few video pointers/tips. As there is no deeper " introduction " other then the 3 parts written in the background it can be hard to follow what happens and why. It could help to some extense try add something that highlight the mousepointer more as even I have a hard time follow where it goes and I even use the fullscreen and the HD option to see better.

Keep it up! (y)

Yes an English version would be nice. Some tolls other use are Wireshark and Comodo's Killswitch which cruelsister uses found here
KillSwitch - The Main Interface | Comodo Cleaning Essentials V.10.0 | The Security Products

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I watch this on my pc monitor thats a 24 inch screen and I normaly see everything good but the pointer itself is hard to follow when it's " white " only and moves around the screen. Not your fault but there are ways to highlight any mousepointers and for video reviews/presentations it's sort of crucial to make it more easy to watch what happens and you do alot with the pointer.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I watch this on my pc monitor thats a 24 inch screen and I normaly see everything good but the pointer itself is hard to follow when it's " white " only and moves around the screen. Not your fault but there are ways to highlight any mousepointers and for video reviews/presentations it's sort of crucial to make it more easy to watch what happens and you do alot with the pointer.

The whole video in German is not understandable to me. I had no idea what was going on. I also test malware but don't make vids.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.