Dream security?

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Customer: Someone who does not want to do anything or worry about their security. Someone who wants amazing security. And doesn't want their system resources eaten up.

Solution: A good firewall, Good behavior blocking, Website blocking, and Wifi Analysis.

Is this a good solution for that customer?

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
OP. I don't know if you are asking which AV to use, but me personally, I set my customers up with Avast Free. Most of them don't want to pay and if they do, it is too cumbersome to rely on them to renew properly.

Reason why I use Avast? Free, Hardenmode, Light, Lately...less popups.

That's it. Hardenmode works really well I find. Good luck!

Wingman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
Customer: Someone who does not want to do anything or worry about their security.
?

Disconnect from the Internet :)

On a serious note +1 for @Umbra for proposing safe habits as this is what you need and the most important thing of all....Train your staff. You can deploy state of art firewall,AV Good behavior blocking, Website blocking but email would still get through. If the end user is not trained enough, they will click that link/open that document. Unfortunately, users are the weakest link when it comes to security.

At the end of the day, it all depends of your threat/risk model. Who are you trying to protect against? Commodity malware or custom exploits? Even though there are predefined steps that each organisation *should* take (aka AV,web filtering with TLS inspection) It all depends on the configuration and their security habits

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
"Someone who does not want to do anything or worry about their security."

The human factor is the first thing you have to consider, first of all.

For each door there will always be a key that will open it, like when you close the door of your house, there is always a thief, who sooner or later will enter.
But here is the difference between having knowledge in the area and not have it: it is obvious that if a hacker wants to get into my system can do it.
Not for this, I have to facilitate his life. What I can do to protect myselves (lock the door) I do it.

But who does not know these facts, it is as if he leaves open the door
for all the times that it comes out.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
"Someone who does not want to do anything or worry about their security."

The human factor is the first thing you have to consider, first of all.

For each door there will always be a key that will open it, like when you close the door of your house, there is always a thief, who sooner or later will enter.
But here is the difference between having knowledge in the area and not have it: it is obvious that if a hacker wants to get into my system can do it.
Not for this, I have to facilitate his life. What I can do to protect myselves (lock the door) I do it.

But who does not know these facts, it is as if he leaves open the door
for all the times that it comes out.
Very cryptic, but accurate :p

Reactions: vemn and tim one

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
What is WiFi Analysis?
There are a lot of different names for it, I just call it WiFi Analysis or WiFi Inspector. Basically just detects network threats and determines if the wifi you are connected to is safe to use.

Reactions: vemn

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Customer: Someone who does not want to do anything or worry about their security. Someone who wants amazing security. And doesn't want their system resources eaten up.

So, in other words, a customer who wants the whole world but doesn't want to lift a finger to have it. (I've gotten this quite frequently.)

Reality: there is no such thing as "worry-free" security. Get that thought out of her head. Any hint of "worry-free" security will translate to "anything goes; I don't have to worry" and guess who will be on the hook when her computer is riddled with malware?

Locking your doors doesn't make your house, car impenetrable and neither does the best security setup in the universe.

Having said that, I'm not insensitive to users who don't want to bother with security and I don't want to be bothered by a question every time a prompt comes up on their computer.

A long time ago, avast! was my go-to free av for this but it got naggy and chicken little-like (too many false-positives, like trying to compete wth Qihoo or something), so that's out.

So, for free, I'd have to say Bitdefender. I don't say "Panda Free" because I've just started using it and am having problems with it.

For paid, Kaspersky.

Then VirtusTotal uploader (for if you get asked, "is this a virus?"), Chrome + uBlock Origin extension + WoT extension (only one I've found that flags the popular fake login sites) and maybe SpywareBlaster (if you're going to keep it updated) and OpenDNS with the updater and some options (like adware) enabled.

Of course, scan the sh-tuffing out of the computer first (Emsisoft EEK, AdwCleaner, Stinger, Malwarebytes, Zemana).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.