Danger Dredrix Security Config

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Hi Dredrix,
I would recommend adding a good antivirus, WD is not enough for a secure protection, even more of Windows 7, which is old and does not have the new WD protection technologies of Windows 10, there are several better and more complete antivirus, and you do not have to pay anything for it, examples: Kaspersky Free, ZoneAlarm Free (comes with built-in firewall, one of the best on the market), Avira or Bitdefender Free, all these examples will give you good protection. Also add programs for on-demand scanning, Zemana Anti-Malware, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, HitmanPro or Norton Power Eraser, are some examples of the best (y)

Last edited:

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
I would also recommend installing good on demand scanner(s) like Zemana, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Malwarebytes as Ms essentials may miss some malware.

Reactions: harlan4096

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Don't see a backup solution, you need to have one in case your other programs fail.

Data Backup: Rollback Rx
System Backup: Macrium Reflect

Both are freeware!

Reactions: harlan4096

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Testing malware on your host PC and Microsoft Essentials...

Add a free AV, there are tons of good solutions: Avast Free, Kaspersky Free, Panda Free, Avira Free, BD Free, etc.

Add ZAM Free and EEK or NPE.

Add SandBoxie Free (and use it while browsing to have more protection).

Add HTTPS Everywhere and uBlock Origin.

Follow suggestions about backups.

Thanks for sharing.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Dredrix : You config will remains in Risky until You turn on OS File Reputation (SmartScreen) and add an Image System Backup solution (consider to use Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper, both free and reliable).

About Real-Time Protection, as already mentioned, MSEssentials is not enough protection, consider some of the already mentioned suggestions about Free AVs: Avast Free, Kaspersky Free, Panda Free, Avira Free, BD Free, also in combo with VoodooShield.

Also, consider to update to Windows 10 and suggestions about browser extensions and on demands scanners (ZAM Free, EEK and NPE.).

Thanks for sharing Your config :)

Reactions: JM Safe and frogboy
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I agree with the others but I think a Password manager would be good for you, it would beef up security, besides that, I think that your config is good and secure(but I would have paid for an AV-Suite perhaps Bitdefender or Kaspersky):)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.