Solved Drivers missing after a Windows 8 Pro x64 UEFI Install on a Lenovo Z580 ideapad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
I just formatted and installed.
Drivers missing after a Windows 8 Pro x64 UEFI Install

Here is a snapshot:

ozicR.png

1) Why Windows UEFI'ed installed couln't be able to detect THOSE 3 DEVICES thus INSTALLING THEIR DRIVERS?

2) Windows Legacy Instaled misses not only 3 but 6 devices.

3) Last but not least, although identified my wireless card (BroadCom 802.11n) hence Wi-Fi drivers are installed by Windows 8 themselves, by connection speed is way to slow........

HELP and explain please!!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Then that is why we are recommending you to download from the Dev/Manu. site instead of relying on Windows doing it for you, because otherwise you will get Generic drivers. In which you do not want.

This is why they have Support for Downloads & Drivers.

I can no longer assist you further.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Earth said:
Then that is why we are recommending you to download from the Dev/Manu. site instead of relying on Windows doing it for you, because otherwise you will get Generic drivers. In which you do not want.

BUT Win8 by themselves identified my Broadcom 802.11n and installed drivers for it.

I had no way of knowing that there were poor drivers UNTIL i realized very slow speeds.

So, now Windows:

a) CANNOT identify some device drivers at all, thus expecting the user to do it manually.

b) Even if Windows DO identify some device drivers they are poor generic ones.

How the user is to know what device drivers SHOULD update or NOT to update?

Why even if they CAN find some device drivers DONT do it for ALL the availbale devices?

Upvote 0

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
You are overthinking this.
Windows will only provide generic drivers in order for Windows to operate optimally. If you want more functionality you have to go to the manufacturer.

Go to lenovo and use the drivers they provide. all of them. They have all relevant drivers.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

iPanik said:
Windows will only provide generic drivers in order for Windows to operate optimally. If you want more functionality you have to go to the manufacturer.

Go to lenovo and use the drivers they provide. all of them. They have all relevant drivers.

i said that already, but he seems unable to understand simple advices at all...

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
said that already, but he seems unable to understand simple advices at all...

Dear Umbra,

I'm aware of how to install missing drivers, I'am just asking to prove a point and learn why Windows behave like that.

Is it wrong trying to go a bit deeper?

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
AFriendlyMDLUser said:
....and he's proven himself to be utterly incapable of following simple instructions.

Hello, Vymrdal (Why don't you disclose your REAL MDL handle?)

You mean instructions like:
"YOU CANNOT CONVERT AN MBR TO A GPT DISK, YOU LAME GREEK"

That kind of "false" support, Vymrdal provide to MDL members and then he says that they are utterly incapable of following simple instructions.

And last but not least if a member wants to try an alternative like i wanted:

Is there a way to add extra user data partitions to a GPT disk DURING Win8 Installation opposed to Vymrdal's AFTER install time by 'Shrinking C:\' idea?

Then he takes pictures of you and post them ALL over the threads mocking you in every possible way he can think of.
Also he makes fun of you regarding your profession and also makes fun of any website you might have.

ALL that because you have dared raising a question.......

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
iPanik said:

Normally?

Windows CANNOT operate optimally if they are unable to identify the machine's hardware optimally, which they act upon.

That's contradicting.

Windows couldn't load webpages for the user correctly because "they thought" they had the correct drivers for Broadcom 802.11n.

Upvote 0

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Nikos said:
1) Why Windows UEFI'ed installed couln't be able to detect THOSE 3 DEVICES thus INSTALLING THEIR DRIVERS?

2) Windows Legacy Instaled misses not only 3 but 6 devices.

New operating system, manufacturers who didn't update their drivers for Windows 8 and Microsoft , any on these migh be the cause of Windows not being able to find your drivers.

Nikos said:
3) Last but not least, although identified my wireless card (BroadCom 802.11n) hence Wi-Fi drivers are installed by Windows 8 themselves, by connection speed is way to slow........
Are you sure it's not your Internet Service Provider fault? Maybe your internet connection isn't that great.

I had Windows 7 on my testing machine and while Windows can detected the hardware, it will offer only generic drivers for download.Most of the drivers are OK, but some of them like my video and graphic driver, I need it to manually downloaded from the manufacturer website.
Like others already said, you need to go to the developer site and download your drivers.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
It wasn't my ISP's problem.
The very moment i downloaed from lenovo's support a BroadCom 802.11n driver my connection speed reached the sky :)

BUT how was i to know that a "new" driver for my BroadCom is needed while at the same time Windows identified the device and installed a "workign driver" for it?

It wasn't that it was an undetectable device that "asked" for a device driver.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Nikos said:
It wasn't my ISP's problem.
The very moment i downloaed from lenovo's support a BroadCom 802.11n driver my connection speed reached the sky :)

Finally...

BUT how was i to know that a "new" driver for my BroadCom is needed

you don't have to know, if you didn't format your original shipped Win8 you will not have to download the proper drivers.

while at the same time Windows identified the device and installed a "workign driver" for it?

If you were a qualified computer technician, you don't even have to ask this question.

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Nikos, I wasn't going to reply but well, here goes...

Window by default will install the best generic drivers to fit your hardware. Generic as in this.

While some hardware will work with generic drivers, they are not optimized for full performance, hence why most suggested you go to the official manufacturer page to download it's drivers.

I will give you an example: My Dell XPS 17 Network card is installed by default from Windows 7 disk but then a) it is an outdated driver and b) does not have all the dlls available for certain functions.
The USB 3.0 port for example has no driver available. The generic one simply will not work.

Windows Update main core feature is to deploy security patches to fix security holes, optimize performance.

You should know that some drivers can be downloaded by windows update but they are listed under Optional. Not to mention Windows still shows me a driver for my HD Intel onboard graphics when it is not even fully supported since I already have a more up to date version.

This thread should have never been nearly 4 pages long. All advice here was given correctly. I understand that you learn by trial and error. However you also need to try to listen to others first. If after doing what others have said and it didn't work, then please do come back and say so. If it work, simply follow it and then once you know it works, you may attempt other ways to see if works or not.

I am not going to go into your tech skills nor what you do and what not. However, understand that everyone uses their free time to help you and sometimes you do not seem to understand or too stubborn to follow an advice. Follow the advice first and once its resolved, you may attempt again even if it is for learning sake.

This should sum up everything.

PS: New users or newbies or not fully experienced users will not go through multiple pages to find a solution. They will either just read first 2 or skip to the last one. Keep that in mind.

Upvote 0

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Windows update does search for drivers update. It is commonly mistaken that it does not. It finds the best match generic driver.
Usually your laptop recovery part contains needed drivers and kicks in while windows finishes installs. They add a custom script in the OEM folder to do this.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Biozfear said:
I am not going to go into your tech skills nor what you do and what not. However, understand that everyone uses their free time to help you and sometimes you do not seem to understand or too stubborn to follow an advice. Follow the advice first and once its resolved, you may attempt again even if it is for learning sake.

I DO understand that device drivers are required && also know from where to acquire them from && how to update them too.

I DO update drivers in various laptops/desktops years now.

I know WHAT it needs to be done to solve a driver issue,
I dont know WHY it needs to be done that way though, hence i'm asking.

Darn Windows have a Window Update function, that is not only for security patching BUT for driver updates too.

Windows by install CANNOT identify every piece of hardware that exist on planet earth, hence the generic driver solution, BUT generic driver != optimized driver, hence Windows Update is to find a more appropriate_specific_oriented driver for some of the hardware parts, BUT even Windows8 FAIL to do so.

Conlusion:

a) Some devices are being declared from Windows 8 as "unknown" (they can't even identify the device itself now? let alone the driver.....)
b) Some devices which are declared by Windows 8 as "known", do NOT have a required driver at all (even generic?)
c) Some devices are being declared by Windows 8 Device Management as "known" and "driver installed" (unfortunately generic though, not optimized, hence by BroadCom's wi-fi issue)

Logic dictates that:
Windows 8 CANNOT identify/update properly.
We do NOT know for sure WHAT it needs to be upated and WHAT doesn't.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

generic is not optimized ! , if they were , we called them optimized not generic !

Windows Update checks its database not google...

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Nikos said:
I DO understand that device drivers are required && also know from where to acquire them from && how to update them too.

I DO update drivers in various laptops/desktops years now.

I know WHAT it needs to be done to solve a driver issue,
I dont know WHY it needs to be done that way though, hence i'm asking.

Darn Windows have a Window Update function, that is not only for security patching BUT for driver updates too.

Windows by install CANNOT identify every piece of hardware that exist on planet earth, hence the generic driver solution, BUT generic driver != optimized driver, hence Windows Update is to find a more appropriate_specific_oriented driver for some of the hardware parts, BUT even Windows8 FAIL to do so.

Conlusion:

a) Some devices are being declared from Windows 8 as "unknown" (they can't even identify the device itself now? let alone the driver.....)
b) Some devices which are declared by Windows 8 as "known", do NOT have a required driver at all (even generic?)
c) Some devices are being declared by Windows 8 Device Management as "known" and "driver installed" (unfortunately generic though, not optimized, hence by BroadCom's wi-fi issue)

Logic dictates that:
Windows 8 CANNOT identify/update properly.
We do NOT know for sure WHAT it needs to be upated and WHAT doesn't.

Well, with such arrogant post, I doubt anyone else will help on this thread.

Your logic is not correct: It has always been recommended to visit manufacturer site to download updated drivers. It is not rocket science.

Windows 8, 7 and any build for a matter of a fact know exactly what to update: Find the possible generic driver (and please stop thinking it is = to optimal driver) to have a piece of hardware work which will then allow the user to then optimize it via the hardware's correct drivers listed on the manufacturer website.

You still fail to understand basic points of IT and yet you say you been doing this for years?

Here is a suggestion: Such behavior that you take will not get you anywhere and instead will just be prone for users to ignore your help requests.

On my post I described as best as I could some issues for you, yet you simply quote me on a sentence.

If you really DID understand how windows work and drivers, you would have not even created this thread, let alone the other threads that have been created which have been named already.

You do know WHY something needs to be done, you just too stubborn to admit and that easily translates to the following personality behavior: If you do not get it your own way, you will not agree nor listen to anyone.

Windows Update core function is NOT for drivers update, hence why it is listed under Optional. Any user knows this and you SHOULD know if you claim about your skills and what not.

Do yourself a favor: move to Linux since in your eyes even Windows 8 is a fail. Oh wait, you will stumble upon more issues with Kernel and what not. Just move to a Mac or even Chrome OS and change your line of business.

Could a mod/admin close this thread as it has been proven it has gotten no where?

Upvote 0

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
If all this was for stating the obvious then you are definitely barking in the wrong forum. For starters it's not even troubleshooting.
I can recommend Microsofts forums.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
@Biozfear:

1. "Here is a suggestion: Such behavior that you take will not get you anywhere and instead will just be prone for users to ignore your help requests."

Yes.....BUT ONLY to the users that don't care of WHY but they care only of WHAT it needs to be done.

2. "Do yourself a favor: move to Linux since in your eyes even Windows 8 is a fail."

Are you implying that with linux i won't experience missing driver issues?
And if YES, how linux does that and windows doesn't?

p.s. (Trying to get to bottom of things) != (being arrogant you know)

Upvote 0

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
iPanik said:
If all this was for stating the obvious then you are definitely barking in the wrong forum. For starters it's not even troubleshooting.
I can recommend Microsofts forums.

A good final conlcusion!!

Nikos said:

Thread closed as the original issue was solved!

Thank you to all those who had the patience of reading and posting in this thread!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.