Dutch researchers find effective anti-body against corona virus

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
That's good, but too late whole Europe is going to turn into Italy in 2 weeks...

Here at MT, there are two competing narratives.

1. It's like the flu. It's being blown up by the press. It's really not that big a deal.

2. It's really serious, it's spreading, it's going to get worse... like Italy.

I think #2 is more correct.

There are indicators that I had the coronavirus almost 4 weeks ago. And it was VERY unpleasant. I still have a nagging coronavirus cough about a month later... and still constant fatigue. But it was just a bump in the road of life. No biggee in a larger context.. I'll be fine.

But we need a massive undertaking to protect the elderly and those with weakened immune systems --- those that this thing will kill.

The regular public should stop being a bunch or whining hoarding pussies.... and we should do everything to focus on and protect those who need protection.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here's some very positive news about the U.S.' ability to respond to this outbreak:

Especially this gem, none of which is surprising given the rampant corruption:

"Kahn, who was among the attendees at Wednesday’s meeting, praised Verma but put responsibility for the administration’s slow start on the White House, contending that federal health officials had to wait for authorization to get started on a series of initiatives.

But hospital leaders haven’t had time alone with President Donald Trump — even as leaders of other health sectors, like the insurance industry, the pharma industry and the lab industry, have been granted extended face-to-face meetings with the president and Pence"

Trump and Co. drain the swamp? Please!

And then there is this #####ing joke:

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Ohio restaurants and bars closing. Illinois follows at end of Monday night. NY- voluntary closure all businesses. California: Governor orders all bars to close, adds guidelines on distancing at restaurants, seniors 65+ directed to self-isolate. Probably other measures to follow many places nationwide.

Get used to life without toilet paper and much more.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
1. It's like the flu. It's being blown up by the press. It's really not that big a deal.
I like the British way more: Just get over it. Only old people are at risk anyway, they need to be protected.
It lasted in china for 2+ months, because of the quarantine, otherwise it could have been gone in 2 weeks.

0.png
On Friday, the UK government’s chief science adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, said on BBC Radio 4 that one of “the key things we need to do” is to “build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission.”
They have changed the policy to isolate old people, because of the uproar caused by the London Marathon, though it is actually something, that might have helped them. The flu likes cold and air conditioning. It is expected, that it will die out, once outside temperature reaches 26C. The body fights with viruses by increasing the body temperature, thus the fever, and it has been proven to kill coronavirus family before.
2. It's really serious, it's spreading, it's going to get worse... like Italy.
Well, my country has decided to follow this. They do not even allow people into shops without a mask. I had to get a scarf to be able to buy food.

Last edited:

JohnR

Level 2
Feb 19, 2020
It remains to be seen whether hiding away the most at risk and allow the UK's supposedly fitter/healthier members of the herd to take it on the muzzle will turn out well, but given the lack of alternatives and likelihood that approx 75% of the population are going to catch it at some stage regardless, I can see the logic behind the science.
Have yet to see anyone in my region wearing a mask, schools and shops are open (at the moment but likely to change shortly) and as last I heard it's flu not dysentery, haven't gone wild on the T paper.. :rolleyes:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I think that in this situation you have to learn from China, which was the first, two cities were quarantined with 40/50 million people if I'm not mistaken.
From my point of view, Spain is not doing well, they should quarantine the community of Madrid, which is where there are more cases. (and block countries that had the virus from the start, but this is too late).

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
What did hit me just now is that it sucks to have a regular flu or a cold during this time. Coz you already have immune system busy with existing thing and you can get COVID19 at the same time. I just have no idea if this makes you more at risk since you have a pre-existing condition and not a healthy state or it is better because immune system is already at full alert...

It's very hard to find any info on this because every search attempt on it throws out billions of pages comparing COVID19 to regular flu. Not a single mention of scenario where one might have both at once.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
What did hit me just now is that it sucks to have a regular flu or a cold during this time
Correct it will just make the whole situation far worse!
Here in Australia we have 375 confirmed cases...Medical professionals estimate that by early April that figure will rise to 24,000 cases based on current models,just about the time the flu season begins here in Australia!

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
It remains to be seen whether hiding away the most at risk and allow the UK's supposedly fitter/healthier members of the herd to take it on the muzzle will turn out well, but given the lack of alternatives and likelihood that approx 75% of the population are going to catch it at some stage regardless, I can see the logic behind the science.
:rolleyes:

Try to picture this: when there are no isolation measures every corona patient infects 2 tot 3 other persons (depending on family structures, greeting habits and large gatherings like for instance soccer games):
1 - 3 - 9 - 27 - 81 - 243 - 729 - 2187 - 6561‬ - 19683 - etc

When people stay inside and this spread can be reduced to half say 1.5 the same array looks like.
1 - 1.5 - 2,25 - 3,375 - 5,0625 - 7,59375 - 11 - 17 - 26 - 38 - etc

That is a whole lot of people less. This lower number will not flood the intensive care bed capacity (like has happened in China and Italy).

When 50% of the people have had the corona virus, 50 percent of the people are immune, so the restrictions can be loosened, because a corona patient can no longer infect 3 persons anymore, because half of them are immune.

The logic of the strongest people biting the bullet is economy. The restrictive measures just have to much impact. With restrictions in place it could take a year before 50 percent of the population has become immune (because they survived corona).

Expect restrictive measures to become more granular in the future e.g. only people below 40 are allowed to move freely or gather in groups larger than 100 people. This gives them the opportunity to become infected without draining IC capacity because a lower percentage of them will have serious effects of corona (maybe only 10 percent get pneumonia like problems and only 1 percent of them will need IC).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.