Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Through my LastPass vault I accidentally stumbled on 5Star Support, a computer forum I registered for but never really used. It appears that this computer forum, like many others, is dying. I say a computer forum is dying when I see relatively few recent posts. It's sad. We need to have many computer forums, so I hate to see apparently once good ones that are dying.

I wish would somebody would do a study of why it is that once-thriving computer forums fade away. I am really curious as to what are the causes. It most certainly is not lack of relevance! I hope that this spiral of decline will never happen to Malware Tips. The spirit of the community is better than any online community I've been a part of.

ahity

Level 1
Verified
May 16, 2017
i hope MalwareTips not die, so many forum die / abandoned just a few member active, for example on local/national computer forum there is just a few member active, some member across country flooding, some member bullying, and some member post their problem then the problem solved then gone wuusshh just like the wind..

so im looking for international forum like MalwareTips, and just MalwareTips.. i put post member give "like" and comment.. :):)

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I believe a 'failing' forum is due to many factors, not just one. Someone could say it is due to reduction of PC use. This may be true, but there are many market factors at play such as:

1. Competition
2. Moderator activeness
3. Website's 'cutting edge' (look of the site, ease of use, keeping up with times with artwork, advertising, etc)
4. Placement via searches
5. Form of income
6. Million other things (insert your opinion here) :p

MalwareTips has done a wonderful job with everything. Wilder's may have great people over there, but the website definitely needs some work.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I reckon it's down to the people that inhabit the place, staff and members alike.
Bullying and flaming is pretty much non-existent here. But then again, with mods named @Exterminator, it's probably a good idea to behave!:p:p
Might also be the way people interact with each other;)
I might be a naughty sheep, but it's all a bit of fun and I'm not the sort to be nasty to people;):)

Last edited:

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Where did I find the best security configs? As you may know the answer, here at MT!. I have learned more about security and proper system configuration here at MT than on any other website. Mostly because MT has the best community in the game. I hope as well, that it won't die. That's why I try to be active here over the forums as much as I can, there is always relevant stuff here at MT. Stay strong MT!

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I think keeping bullying off an internet forum is probably a key to its long term thriving. It seems that people on Malware Tips understand that behavior is not welcome here.

I was once part of a forum but left because of the bullies. An Australian (who is good at google, lol) and an American who thinks he is a malware removal god. Never experienced that here. I hat bullies, make me post $&^(*^$&%#$#(. :D

What I experience here is people correcting you when you are wrong and giving alternative or better advices to improve your setup.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Through my LastPass vault I accidentally stumbled on 5Star Support, a computer forum I registered for but never really used. It appears that this computer forum, like many others, is dying. I say a computer forum is dying when I see relatively few recent posts. It's sad. We need to have many computer forums, so I hate to see apparently once good ones that are dying.

I wish would somebody would do a study of why it is that once-thriving computer forums fade away. I am really curious as to what are the causes. It most certainly is not lack of relevance! I hope that this spiral of decline will never happen to Malware Tips. The spirit of the community is better than any online community I've been a part of.
A lot of this believe it or not (once thriving) is due to management, the good part about MalwareTips is Jack and the staff seem to have this equasion figured out for the right balance, which is very hard to find, and once found is easy to loose.
With the quality staff and ownership found here, the MT community is safe from this type of demise.

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
I was once part of a forum but left because of the bullies. An Australian (who is good at google, lol) and an American who thinks he is a malware removal god. Never experienced that here. I hat bullies, make me post $&^(*^$&%#$#(.
What I experience here is people correcting you when you are wrong and giving alternative or better advices to improve your setup.
I do not know which forum you are referring to but I have the same experience on Kaspersky forum

rohit

Level 1
Oct 24, 2012
Don't you worry guys, MalwareTips is here to Stay!

Reason behind loss of popularity of forums in recent years.
Few years ago, we had handful of sites in each niche however, since last 3-4 years, there has been a outburst in number of blogs.
Computer - Tech niche has been divided into micro-niches and there is a dedicated, super updated blog on each topic.

Another major reason behind many forums dying is lack of revenue especially computers forums where users are extra-smart to use ad-blockers.
Only thing forum owners have as option to survive is donation which is not a steady source.
A point comes when they could barely manage the maintenance and server costs which apparently results into shutdown.

MalwareTips, on other side makes big huge load of money from Affiliate income (Malwarebytes being #1 source).

MalwareTips Blog pages are the most visited pages of this site where the actual monetary things work.

This doesn't mean Forum doesn't contribute but it acts as a complementary portal to the main business.

However, one thing I adore about MT is that they have built a portal of such loyal members
in these tough days when Google Search engines have made difficult to thrive and when people are super busy and distracted with so many options.

A big thanks to all moderators who keep the forum in shape and load it with ton of valuable information.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
As others have already stated, the reason I like MT is because of no bullying, no trolling and great members. Forums having a few members are well behaved and those with lots of members have lots of bullying. MT has lots of members and yet its peaceful. Its a rarity.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.