Advice Request E-mail Protection Software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014

E-Mail Security

Anyone know what Internet security program offers e-mail protection, and is there any top 10 lists or reviews on this subject ?
I have seen a configuration with Eset any others? Thanks

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
There are several internet security programs that offer e-mail protection. Here are a few popular ones:

1. ESET: ESET offers a comprehensive internet security suite that includes advanced e-mail protection features. It scans incoming and outgoing emails for malware, spam, and phishing attempts. ESET also provides anti-spam filters to block unwanted emails.

2. Norton Security: Norton Security is another well-known internet security program that offers e-mail protection. It includes an anti-spam feature that filters out unwanted emails and blocks phishing attempts. Norton also scans email attachments for potential threats.

3. McAfee Total Protection: McAfee Total Protection is a comprehensive security suite that offers e-mail protection. It scans incoming and outgoing emails for malware, spam, and phishing attempts. McAfee also provides anti-spam filters to block unwanted emails.

4. Avast Premium Security: Avast Premium Security is a popular internet security program that offers e-mail protection. It scans incoming and outgoing emails for malware, spam, and phishing attempts. Avast also provides anti-spam filters to block unwanted emails.

5. Bitdefender Total Security: Bitdefender Total Security is a feature-rich internet security program that includes e-mail protection. It scans incoming and outgoing emails for malware, spam, and phishing attempts. Bitdefender also provides anti-spam filters to block unwanted emails.

As for top 10 lists or reviews on this subject, there are several websites that provide detailed reviews and comparisons of internet security programs. Some popular ones include PCMag, AV-TEST, and AV-Comparatives. These websites regularly test and evaluate different security programs, including their e-mail protection features. You can visit these websites to find comprehensive reviews and rankings of various internet security programs.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Emsisoft can also scan email data files if enabled. A lot of ISPs and email providers include virus scanning of emails. e.g. our domain host includes Norton Scan of emails for a couple of accounts but ultimately, any files downloaded through your email client should be detected by your AV as soon as you save or run the file. I have tried Send EICAR Test E-Mail to Check Reability of Your Anti-Virus E-Mail Protection but the email with attachments included never made it to my inbox.

Anyway, if you run or try and save a unsafe file, any AVs will detect it either when it's saved or when you attempt to run it.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
You do not have to rely on software only. I forward emails from multiple providers, since each uses a different security and spam filters. Like Proton > GMX > Gmail > Outlook
Outlook as MS 365 Basic, one of the reasons I bought it, it bumps security a bit. It also allows encryption and can prevent forwarding. Each link within emails starts like this:
Code:
https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/...
capture_11112023_180649.jpg

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014

E-Mail Security

Anyone know what Internet security program offers e-mail protection, and is there any top 10 lists or reviews on this subject ?
I have seen a configuration with Eset any others? Thanks
I've been running ESET on my main PC for years, with email protection,. Also have been running SpamFighter alongside for years as well.
Eset monitors quite well. Pulls out anything infected. Also have 140,000 spam addresses in its blocked address list...
SpamFighter is the "first line" of defense, as it pulls out spam continuously. My Spamfighter has 160,000 blocked addresses. Then you add them, in batches, to ESET. (NOT 1 at a time, like other lesser programs)
I go thru my SpamFighter file every day, 300 or so emails each day, and its VERY seldom that I add or subtract an email address to or from it. I'd say it's 99.99% accurate. Have used many many others, but this is my

Absolutely extremely happy with this setup! ✌️

EDITED…. I use Outlook…. Exclusively ✌️

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I've been running ESET on my main PC for years, with email protection,. Also have been running SpamFighter alongside for years as well.
Eset monitors quite well. Pulls out anything infected. Also have 140,000 spam addresses in its blocked address list...
SpamFighter is the "first line" of defense, as it pulls out spam continuously. My Spamfighter has 160,000 blocked addresses. Then you add them, in batches, to ESET. (NOT 1 at a time, like other lesser programs)
I go thru my SpamFighter file every day, 300 or so emails each day, and its VERY seldom that I add or subtract an email address to or from it. I'd say it's 99.99% accurate. Have used many many others, but this is my

Absolutely extremely happy with this setup! ✌️
correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't ESET, eg, only offer email protection if you are using MS Outlook? And IIRC other AV have same email client limitations...? Lately I stopped using email clients and I only use webmail IMAP with web browser, one for everyday email & sometimes with @duck.com for anonymous email, and also Proton for more "secure" email. Is anyone using a 3d-party cloud email scanning service to forward and filter their email. I know they exist but that seems like it creates privacy issues, and used primarily in corporate enterprises where employees have no expectation of privacy.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Is anyone using a 3d-party cloud email scanning service to forward and filter their email. I know they exist but that seems like it creates privacy issues
I guess that depends how the user uses his emails. I use Proton for ..., GMX to register on forums and any random webpage, Gmail for eshops, Outlook for official business (no forwarding).
Proton does not even allow forwarding. Multiple forwarding is not really necessary, I have hardly any spam even with public emails, but it helps to keep emails in check and mitigate risks.

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't ESET, eg, only offer email protection if you are using MS Outlook? And IIRC other AV have same email client limitations...? Lately I stopped using email clients and I only use webmail IMAP with web browser, one for everyday email & sometimes with @duck.com for anonymous email, and also Proton for more "secure" email. Is anyone using a 3d-party cloud email scanning service to forward and filter their email. I know they exist but that seems like it creates privacy issues, and used primarily in corporate enterprises where employees have no expectation of privacy.

An excerpt from the ESET NOD32 user manual:

"Mail transport protection

IMAP(S) and POP3(S) are the most common protocols for receiving email in email client applications. The Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) is another Internet protocol for retrieving email. IMAP offers some advantages over POP3, e.g. For example, multiple clients can connect to the same mailbox at the same time and maintain message status information, such as whether the message has been read, replied to, or deleted. The protection module that provides this control is automatically initialized at system startup and is then active in memory.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus provides protection for these protocols no matter which email client is used and without having to reconfigure the email client. By default, all communications via POP3 or IMAP are scanned, regardless of the standard POP3 and IMAP port numbers.
The MAPI protocol is not scanned. However, communications with the Microsoft Exchange Server can be scanned using the integration module in email clients such as Microsoft Outlook."

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
ESET NOD32 Antivirus provides protection for these protocols no matter which email client is used and without having to reconfigure the email client. By default, all communications via POP3 or IMAP are scanned, regardless of the standard POP3 and IMAP port numbers.
Good info, thanks. I gave up on ESET SSP (reasons previously posted) but I am considering a new license for NOD32, as I was a long-time happy user of NOD32.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.