EAM no longer compatible with old CPUs

nickoftime

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
A recent EAM update has dropped support for very old CPUs (possibly pre-2011). I don't know the exact details since it seems undocumented. Must have occurred months ago, or even earlier. The software will install with no warnings, but it is essentially unusable with frequent crashes. The Emsisoft forum is gone. I tried to locate some info on their release notes but failed. I'd be happy if someone from Emsisoft pointed at the right direction.

This might be understandable, since in personal computing you are expected to be reasonably up-to-date. However, old systems can still run pretty well and securely - especially custom-built ones that are sensibly hardware/software updated. No bleeding-edge gaming or 8k video processing, but I'm sure Emsisoft is not aiming at these alone. The main problem is this though:

Supported operating systems and platforms

Emsisoft still claims full Windows 10 (64-bit) compatibility, which is inaccurate at best. So, dear Emsisoft (EAM is otherwise excellent btw), please clearly indicate on which CPUs your software will run or do not mention Windows 10 compatibility. There are systems out there that can run W10 perfectly fine. Just not EAM.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You said yourself your cpu is old. What is the make and model? Assuming it's 64 bit architecture, did you run something like Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool yet? Speaking from experience myself, certain WHEA warnings are silent. Sometimes, processors just can't handle certain instructions any longer.

Not discounting your claim at all but one might rule out issues on the user end with something tangible. Plus, I'm reluctant to believe a well-estblished company would arbitrarily drop support for certain hardware without informing anyone. But,. of course let's see what the rep says.

nickoftime

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
I'm not making this personal, even if I was affected by it. Just looking for clarity. They've always been excellent and responsive, prior to this. If someone from Emsisoft is reading, please let us know:

1. Has there been a change in CPU compatibility, recent or otherwise? (64-bit)
2. Does EAM work on all PCs that can natively run Windows 10? (64-bit)

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I would say contact support as indicated twice before, you could try their Twitter fwiw. It can be a bug, it can not be. However, dismissing it as 'not a bug', or its established, without anything to back it up is simple a no-no to put it mildly. A forum of users, and/or enthusiasts, would give you the same answer of either I don't know, contact support or what did you change on the user end.

On another note, I am more likely to believe the effected users are running a 32bit OS which are unsupported now as well as Windows XP through Windows 10 (32-bit). From which, with exception to Windows 10, all other Windows version are unsupported all-together (in all editions).

My question is how did you "find out", rather than looking for an answer which you should contact EAM about through the official channels?

nickoftime

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
Right - I already have support's official answer, from months ago. Since there has been no change in the system requirements page, confusion remains as to why Windows 10 works and Windows 10-compatible EAM does not. Therefore, a public confirmation or clarification is preferable.

Hope it's more clear now.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.