Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Microsoft is reportedly getting ready to release browser extensions for users participating in the Windows Insider program, so it shouldn’t come as a big surprise that the official page of these add-ons has gotten leaked today.

windows-10-edge-browser-extension-page-leaked-501746-2.png

In fact, Redmond most likely published it on purpose online, but the company has already removed the website after users started noticing it.

In essence, this website is supposed to serve as the one destination for Edge browser extensions, providing you with all the necessary information that you’d need for the new add-ons. The page includes links to three different extensions, namely Microsoft Translator, Reddit Enhancement Suite, and Mouse Gestures, and redirects to the store to download them.

Coming in a future preview build
Furthermore, it confirms that extensions will exclusively be available through the store and will make their debut in a yet-undisclosed build for insiders.

“Personalize and add new features to Microsoft Edge with extensions. Starting with build XXX for the Windows 10 Insider Preview, a selection of extensions is now available for Microsoft Edge,” the page reads.

“When fully released to mainstream builds of Windows 10, extensions will be available via the Windows Store. Until that time, you can help us test extensions by downloading and adding them to Microsoft Edge using the steps shown below.”

This also serves as living proof that Microsoft is indeed getting ready to debut extensions for insiders, and according to people close to the matter, this is expected to happen as soon as this week. Extensions will be available for users on stable versions of Windows 10 starting in June, when the Redstone update for the operating system is scheduled to launch.

Microsoft Edge extensions were initially expected in the Threshold 2 update that launched in late 2015 (November Update build 1511), but the company has reportedly decided to hold them back until more work is completed.
Windows 10 Edge Browser Extensions Page Leaked

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Edge has a lot of potential, but still unfinished and in this state, IMO, IE is better than Edge...for now
As a home user, I feel that Edge is a lot more stable and usable than IE. No doubt IE has been improved vastly over the past few years, but Edge runs a lot better.

Edge still provides Flash Player support and soon Extensions, with IE there was a chance these would destabilise the browser, causing constant system hanging and, or crashing the browser completely.

Although I don't use every function that Edge has to offer such as, Share, Web Notes and Reading List. It's a lot more productive than IE, as an OOTB experience.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Edge is meant as simple, fluid and yet flexible browser; the performance may reach already on the standard average but of course still a room for improvements as the engine is made from scratch.

So with the extension support appear as a final solution, hence the respect of competition will return too. ;)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
As a home user, I feel that Edge is a lot more stable and usable than IE. No doubt IE has been improved vastly over the past few years, but Edge runs a lot better.
Just some problems with scaling fonts on some sites I encountered, printing page ranges doesn't always work, also no options for saving the page, and my main concern - a lack of extensions, at least for some adblocker and password manager. But, when the times comes, I'll sure retry it :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
an Update from Softpedia

Previously, Microsoft said that it wanted all Google Chrome extensions to work in Edge with little to no modifications at all, and it turns out that the company’s plan to achieve this is heading in the right direction.

Bavo Luysterborg has looked into the extensions published on the recently leaked page and discovered that all Microsoft Edge add-ons are nearly fully compatible with Chrome. Truth is, Microsoft wants this to work the other way around, but it’s very clear that cross platform compatibility is an important step in Redmond’s plan to bring as many extensions as possible on Edge browser.

Very similar code
“It’s currently impossible to get these extensions working in Edge (in Insider builds that is), but since the upcoming extension system in Edge is rumoured to be compatible to Google Chrome’s system I decided to try to load them in Chrome to find out just how compatible they really are. Turns out they’re nearly 100% compatible,” Luysterborg writes.

Part of Microsoft’s project to bring extensions on Edge was to allow developers to use most of the code implemented in their Chrome extensions, and it looks like the two versions are indeed very similar.

“The source code for these Edge extension pretty much looks like the original Chrome code with some additional code to replace ‘chrome’ with ‘msBrowser’ and 2 minor additions to manifest.json.”

While extensions will soon debut in Microsoft Edge for insiders, users who are still running the stable version of Windows 10 have to wait until June to get this new feature. That’s the time when Microsoft is expected to release the Redstone update for Windows 10, which is very likely to bring extensions too.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Yes i agree i only used Edge so far to download a couple of decent browsers. ;)
I didn't even need to do this. I already had other browsers like Firefox and Chrome by the time I upgraded to Windows 10.

The times I used Edge are mainly to troubleshoot whether an issue I have with a site is due to extensions or the browser itself (firefox, chrome, etc.).

Reactions: frogboy

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Why would they need extensions if they want to spy on you? :D

Haha I was just being sarcastic but with the addition of the extensions to edge browser will directly make the usage of edge on a much more frequent basis... There is other ways to spy on someone of course but directly using MS browser will make it much more easy for them to see your surfing activity since its their own software that they are coding... ;) Now many users don't use edge anyway...

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Haha I was just being sarcastic but with the addition of the extensions to edge browser will directly make the usage of edge on a much more frequent basis... There is other ways to spy on someone of course but directly using MS browser will make it much more easy for them to see your surfing activity since its their own software that they are coding... ;) Now many users don't use edge anyway...
Nice observation :) Still, I don't believe in spying mumbojumbo until proven, and especially don't believe that if they want to spy on you that you (or anyone) can actually stop them in doing so :cool:

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
and especially don't believe that if they want to spy on you that you (or anyone) can actually stop them in doing so

Exactly but you are missing the point,, Directly using their browser just saves them allot of trouble and resources that they need in coding various parts of the Operating System in order to collect information in another way,,, :D

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Exactly but you are missing the point,, Directly using their browser just saves them allot of trouble and resources that they need in coding various parts of the Operating System in order to collect information in another way,,, :D
I understood that :p just wanted to say, If you were using OS I made with patches I make, it won't be too difficult for me getting the info about of what are you doing...whatever the browser you use

Reactions: Razor555

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I understood that :p just wanted to say, If you were using OS I made with patches I make, it won't be too difficult for me getting the info about of what are you doing...whatever the browser you use

Still much more easier to have someone using your browser directly so that you can add even more capabilities to it... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.