Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Read more at Microsoft will separate Edge browser updates from the Windows 10 OS with Redstone 3

Chrome is updated frequently and seamlessly by Google; however, Microsoft's Edge browser is only updated - aside from security updates - in new feature builds of Windows 10, which only happens twice per year.

But according to internal sources, that's all going to change in September, when the next feature update to Windows 10, codenamed Redstone 3, is released. Users will finally be able to get updates to the Edge browser via the Windows Store, which will allow Microsoft to add new features more frequently.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It sounds like a good idea, but if it a manual update how many average home users will search the store updates. Microsoft needs to make it more automated I think.
Windows Store apps are updated automatically unless disabled by user, in the Store settings. Or disabled by Anti-Spy tools for Windows 10 for dumb reasons.

If not already implemented I would like to see "Notify if update is available" like you see on Android and iOS. And for Edge to periodically check for updates, regardless of Store settings, because an outdated Internet-facing app is a security risk.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Windows Store apps are updated automatically unless disabled by user, in the Store settings. Or disabled by Anti-Spy tools for Windows 10 for dumb reasons.

If not already implemented I would like to see "Notify if update is available" like you see on Android and iOS. And for Edge to periodically check for updates, regardless of Store settings, because an outdated Internet-facing app is a security risk.
I forgot I had disabled that, you are right of course normally it would be automatic. :oops:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
@Spawn, I wish there was an option to disable automatic updates for apps individually. Its either all or none.

Reactions: frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Spawn, I wish there was an option to disable automatic updates for apps individually. Its either all or none.
That's why I think a Notify for available updates would be good to add, you can update apps you want updated manually.

I don't think Android or iOS have those options either, it's all or nothing like you say.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
That's why I think a Notify for available updates would be good to add, you can update apps you want updated manually.

I don't think Android or iOS have those options either, it's all or nothing like you say.
Yes, Android and iOS too don't have this option. I wish all appstores had this. Sometimes the developer screws an app and to keep itself from updating, you'll have to disable the auto update as a whole. And in case of iOS, I wish you could go back to previous versions. Should keep like 5 older version of the app in case the newer version is buggy. Even itunes only backs up app data only. Atleast on Android there is third party option.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Yes, it sounds good and although Edge is improved a lot, it would be useful to have a better update policy because you may still encounter compatibility problems on some web sites. For example, some web pages, that haven't been recently updated and are still based on old HTML and CSS versions, may appear problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.