Edge Dev (or Canary) Tracking Protection - Have you tried it? Do you use it with other privacy extensions?

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Please let us know if you've tried Tracking Protection in Edge Dev or Canary and any feedback you have. I've been giving it a test drive using Strict Mode and found little site breakage so far in the limited time I've been using it. YMMV. Setting exclusions for sites is a bit cumbersome, but maybe this will improve if they get enough users who request such improvements.

I can't attest to using this new feature by itself because I've been using it with Privacy Possum as a set and forget solution for ad blocking and some privacy protection. They work very well together, with no significant increase in resource usage vs. µBO + PP. (This is my impression, not a technical finding.) Things you lose with this combo are annoyance blocking, granularity of settings and of course malware protection, e.g. from Javascript blocking and advanced user medium mode, etc.. One interesting thing you get to see is Privacy Possum doing some very heavy lifting depending on which mode is used, most of which µBO would normally do. Tweakers may not find this setup very attractive but for ordinary users who can't be bothered, Edge's new tracking protection and this combo are quite impressive.

Please post any experiences you have if you are using this feature in the new Edge. And if you've tried it with Privacy Possum or another privacy extension please post your impressions as well. I'd welcome your feedback and I believe other members and readers would too.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Please let us know if you've tried Tracking Protection in Edge Dev or Canary and any feedback you have. I've been giving it a test drive using Strict Mode and found little site breakage so far in the limited time I've been using it. YMMV. Setting exclusions for sites is a bit cumbersome, but maybe this will improve if they get enough users request such improvements.

I can't attest to using this new feature by itself because I've been using it with Privacy Possum as a set and forget solution for ad blocking and some privacy protection. They work very well together, with no significant increase in resource usage vs. µBO + PP. (This is my impression, not a technical finding.) Things you lose with this combo are annoyance blocking, granularity of settings and of course malware protection, e.g. from Javascript blocking and advanced user medium mode, etc.. One interesting thing you get to see is Privacy Possum doing some very heavy lifting, depending on which mode is used and most of which µBO would normally do. Tweakers may not find this setup very attractive but for ordinary users who can't be bothered, Edge's new tracking protection and this combo are quite impressive.

Please post any experiences you have if you are using this feature in the new Edge. And if you've tried it with Privacy Possum or another privacy extension please post your impressions as well. I'd welcome your feedback and I believe other members and readers would too.
I have it on strict for now together with the AdGuard browser extension.
Exclusions are easy (see screenshot), but it is on or off no granular control like with AdGuard or uBlock Origin.
Most blocking is done by Edge now.

Schermopname (9).png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.