Edge using Amazon DNS?

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I agree, I haven't installed anything yet, and in thinking about it, I will not install Kaspersky Plus with its 42 modules and all its settings. Granted, some of them can be disabled to only manually run, so I get that part. But when you need a search bar, which was helpful, to find a module or setting, is a bit much. The free version is wonderful though :) Even their Internet Security had ~39 modules. I had gone to F-Secure Internet Security for its simplicity, protection and its 3 module home screen. So, we'll see :)
Out of all of them I would still choose F-Secure. Still may reinstall it now that I know that was the cause.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Out of all of them I would still choose F-Secure. Still may reinstall it now that I know that was the cause.
That's where I'm at too, especially since I just bought Internet Security about 2 weeks ago. My only thought for myself, is to hold of on reinstalling it as I thinks the 64-bit release is just around the corner (maybe a month?) and it would be nice to just reinstall F-Secure at that point. Just want to keep from installing/reinstalling if I don't need to. And as with you, I really do like F-Secure, it is still one of my favorites :)

malwalex

Apr 9, 2024
Just searched this problem and found this forum. It wasn't just Edge, amazon dns was everywhere, Chrome, Foxes, etc. Tried first block amazon by hosts-file, but then I uninstalled F-Secure yesterday and problem is gone. Now, Kaspersky Premium runs lighter and dns servers show as expected.

"Cybersecurity firm F-Secure speeds installation process and boosts customer experience using AWS. The company, which has tens of millions of consumer customers and more than 100,000 corporate clients, has been providing online security services for nearly 30 years. It uses Amazon Kinesis and AWS Lambda to react to events in real time."

source

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I wonder, if you block Amazon IP range for F-Secure would it switch to the default DNS or would it stop working?

Reactions: Jonny Quest

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I wonder, if you block Amazon IP range for F-Secure would it switch to the default DNS or would it stop working?
I started in trying to do that last Saturday, but it seemed like WhacK A Mole, I probably didn't know what I was doing as a new ip address were replacing the ones I had blocked. I did it in the router settings, so I don't know if Windows firewall would have overridden the router ones. I just didn't want to be doing that on 5 PCS, hoping a router solution would help.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Just searched this problem and found this forum. It wasn't just Edge, amazon dns was everywhere, Chrome, Foxes, etc. Tried first block amazon by hosts-file, but then I uninstalled F-Secure yesterday and problem is gone. Now, Kaspersky Premium runs lighter and dns servers show as expected.

"Cybersecurity firm F-Secure speeds installation process and boosts customer experience using AWS. The company, which has tens of millions of consumer customers and more than 100,000 corporate clients, has been providing online security services for nearly 30 years. It uses Amazon Kinesis and AWS Lambda to react to events in real time."

source
What is Amazon AWS privacy policy? That is the thing that bothers me is that if I install F-Secure again and having it connecting to 2-8 AWS servers (depending on if I have NextDNS enabled in Brave) is a deal breaker in using F-Secure...or shouldn't it be?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I believe they use it as part of their web filtering. So you could, but you may lower the ability of F-Secure to do web filtering. I think they use it to filter low reputation DNS calls and use Route 53 to speed up the delivery.

Reactions: oldschool

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
So anyway, back to this. In reviewing F-Secure's fsdiag log file, I came across this. It looks like Lambda installed with a OneClient update on March 22nd, and thus a week or two later, some of us noticed the AWS servers? I'll keep us posted if I find out more from the forum, or from a F-Secure support ticket I started.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 102257.png

Milly25

Mar 23, 2024
Thank you for saving my sanity, have been messing with upgrades deletions of browsers reloading Windows and i find this thread.Thank you Jonny and Blackice for pointing problems with AV and F secure ,deleted F secure and now using another AV. who would expect a security suite to leak any DNS:)

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Thank you for saving my sanity, have been messing with upgrades deletions of browsers reloading Windows and i find this thread.Thank you Jonny and Blackice for pointing problems with AV and F secure ,deleted F secure and now using another AV. who would expect a security suite to leak any DNS:)
Technically it’s not a leak per se. If you are using their extension they are examining unknown sites anyway. Now you can just see that it’s happening because of the change in the infrastructure used.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Technically it’s not a leak per se. If you are using their extension they are examining unknown sites anyway. Now you can just see that it’s happening because of the change in the infrastructure used.
Agree, it's not technically a leak per se, but rather their new alliance with AmazonAWS (March of this year?) that some of us are now noticing. Now when I run ip leak tests, sometime it only shows the two ip addresses then one DNS address server (same one as the ip address ones) and sometimes the multiple Google, or Amazon servers. It may have something to do with the searches, but all in all, it's a bit of a mess compared to 2-6 months ago where this had never been an issue.

They are really having a hard time with discontinuing the Freedome app into the Total VPN, usability wise as well as slow web page loading or timing out while using the VPN, which they have come up with a workaround for now...seemingly:

As far as the Amazon servers and what is being seen on our end, was responded to here:

Cheers :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.