Advice Request Eight reasons why Windows 8 Is NOT for you

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Because some don't like Win8:

Second in a series. To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question. With the public release of Windows 8 following closely around the corner, it's time to sit down and take a good look at what makes Windows 8 a worthwhile upgrade, which is why I've prepared a list of eight important Windows 8 features that shouldn't be the reason for everyone to upgrade to the latest desktop operating system from Microsoft.

Windows 8 is a mixed bag, and it's all because of its new UI -- and there's no escaping the fact that it will always be one of the most controversial features and one of the most debated "benefits" of adopting the latest version of the popular operating system. In all honestly, judging Windows 8 by its new interface alone is like judging a book by its cover, so let's dive a little deeper into the newly added features of Windows 8 and dissect the ones that do not make it a worthwhile upgrade for everyone.

If my colleague Wayne Williams has "Eight good reasons to upgrade to Windows 8", I have eight good reasons why you shouldn't upgrade. So without further ado...

Source

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Windows 7 is the new XP, I can see in 15+ years to come, some still using 7, Heck who knows maybe even XP ha... :rolleyes:

Some stick by the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" motto like flys on poop.

Tell you what if I owned a good car but had an opportunity to try a great car, I'd have to go with the great car.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Tell you what if I owned a good car but had an opportunity to try a great car, I'd have to go with the great car.

I get your point Mr. X, but if the great new car was made in Hong Kong, and my old one was made in Stuttgart or Yokohama, I would have to hang on to my old ride.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
MrXidus said:

What if the "great car" had two steering wheels that you needed to switch between to drive on different roads, and you had to get out of the car and open the trunk to turn off the ignition? :p

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
What if the "great car" had two steering wheels that you needed to switch between to drive on different roads, and you had to get out of the car and open the trunk to turn off the ignition?

Just so long as I had a lever to pop the trunk.

Two steering wheels could come in handy if you are in habit of taking your car back and forth across the pond (Britain to US and vice versa). You could have one steering wheel for driving the wrong way, and the other for driving the right way (IN AMERICA, LOL) I don't really know who does that though, except Formula 1 drivers.

DeadDrop

Aug 19, 2012
I'll probably upgrade 6 months after release so some bugs can be sorted out. Otherwise I don't see where all this hate is coming from? It will be good once they iron out the bugs.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Dont find metro useful. Ask me MS could have made a whole metro OS with a metro styled explorer and everything.
What is windows 8: Windows 8 is windows 7 with animated desktop icons and claimed security and faster speeds.
Thats what comes from the top of my head. But I just used it for an hour at friends place so my opinion may change.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'll probably be upgrading once it's released since I can easily adapt to the new look and features. Plus, the speed improvements are just neat!

Emy12

Level 1
Dec 22, 2011
I just grabbed two copies of Windows 8 Pro, each copy €14.99. One is already installed on my XPS 15z and it is working very well. It seems to be faster than Win 7.
I thought that it will be difficult to get used with it, but it is Ok. The only complaint could be the missing of start feature.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
very cheap price ^^ upgrade or full license? indeed Win8 is lighter and faster. Metro is just an interactive full screen start menu ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
1 reason: You're an Apple fanboy and you think Mac OS X is the best OS in the world.

=)) aka idiots

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Reason #9: because it took me way too long to upgrade to windows 7 from XP

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Littlebits said:
Once Microsoft drops support and Windows Updates for XP, I have read some third-party developers will start making unofficial patches. I will like to see how that goes.
Yes it should be done otherwise microsoft force us to use their product as they want.

Emy12

Level 1
Dec 22, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
very cheap price ^^ upgrade or full license? indeed Win8 is lighter and faster. Metro is just an interactive full screen start menu ;)

On my purchase receipt is written Windows 8 Pro, but I did not do a clean install, just upgraded from Win_7 and I deleted "Windows old" . Some users reported that a "clean" install with the upgrade key, the activation is not working, others said that it worked.
I might try to do a clean install, if is not working I have to install Win_7 than do an upgrade to Win_8.
It seems that the Windows 8 is packed with the latest drivers for most system/hardware. I tried to update some drivers and I had lots of BSOD, so I went back to original state.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
I dont know about you but i like Windows 8 metro UI and the lack of start button.
They are 40% faster at startup and they detect more devices then Windows 7 did.

treefrog'

Oct 28, 2012
Don't care for it myself :boulay:
have only used it in a VM so can't comment on the speed, I do however like the new task manager.
Want it in W7.
treefrog'

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i use it again; it has lower resources usage and boot faster than Win7 ( with almost the same apps i used )

Metro is not so complicated and hampering that many said, just less quick to use since you have to mouseover at the border to scroll left/right in case you have lot of apps.

Some features are definitely "tablet-oriented" like the localization,etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.