Eiso's Config

Eiso

Thread author
Nov 25, 2011
DNS: Primary: NortonDNS Secondary: Comodo Secure DNS
Application Hardening: EMET 2.1 (Maximum Security Settings)
UAC: Maximum
Sandbox: Sandboxie Free
Backup/Virtualization/Rollback: Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 (Advanced) Free
Others: Secunia PSI, Comodo System-Cleaner, Comodo Cleaning Essentials
Hardware NAT: Netgear WNDR3800

*Thanks Jack :p

P

Plexx

Good config, although I think there are some overkill elements on the Real Time protection in my opinion. I will let the other users share their opinions on this field.

Also there are 2 URLs you can add to ABP so that you could remove Ghostery. Unsure if you would like to keep Ghostery or not. Let us know.

Consider the following free tools that you could add:

Real Time protection:
*Panda URL Filter (install it via Panda Toolbar and then just remove Panda Toolbar).

Password manager:
*Lastpass.

Backup and System Image (choose one):
*Default Windows backup and recovery;
*EaseUS Todo Backup Free 3.5;
*Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 Free;
*Macrium Reflect Free.

Sandbox:
*Bufferzone Pro;

Hard Disk Defrag:
*Puran Defrag;
*Auslogics Disk Defrag;
*Smart Defrag.

System Maintenance:
*CCleaner;
*Quicksys RegDefrag (registry defrag);
*Unlocker 1.9.1 (64bit);
*Advanced System Care 5 Free;
*Sysinternals Suite 2011.11.10;

That's about all I can think for the moment. Hope this helps.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Wow. Paranoia /overlap city. You do not need all of that running in real time. You cannot use CIS together with EAM cause you cannot use 2 anti viruses together. You can however use Comodo Firewall with EAM. You do not need KeyScrambler since you have SpyShelter. Also CIS has an antilogger function. Honestly speaking all you need is CIS for real time protection. Do you do a lot of online banking/shopping? Funny thing is that you have all this protection but no backup plan? Do you use Windows 7 Backup and Recovery at least? Nothing is better then having a disk image stored on an external HDD.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
It is quite a paranoid setup. He has stated his reasoning in his intro thread:

Eiso said:
I'm a professional sound engineer and composer. I do my work, browse and play games on the same pc. In the past my work projects have been stolen / compromised, manipulated and I've had online stalkers / capable hackers / competitors giving me a wealth of hard time. Basically, maximum security is paramount to me.

Regardless, choosing one solid Real Time protection program will be much more effective than slapping on security after security. It's not the way to go. CIS 5.8 will do just fine standing on it's own I would think.

Also, please take note of what Maximus said about Backup.

Eiso

Thread author
Nov 25, 2011
Hello,

biozfear, Ghostery is fine. I just added Panda URL Filter, and installing Paragon Backup & Recovery :) I already have CCleaner and Sysinternals which I forgot to mention. Thank you!

Maximus, :) I followed umbrapolis' guide on using CIS and EAM together, I've tested it and it works flawlessly. Props to umbrapolis on that. I think KeyScrambler and SpyShelter together is fine, if Comodo's simple anti-keylogger and SpyShelter does miss something, KeyScrambler will have the keys scrambled. Which is nice to know. I like the idea of multi-layer protection so long as nothing is colliding. Overkill is ok. :)

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Nothing but nothing is perfect. A good router will stop any hackers. But if your work is that precious and important then backing it up is first priority. You can have every single security installed on your pc but it will fail you one day. Hence the reason behind a good backup solution stored on an external HDD.

Eiso

Thread author
Nov 25, 2011
Tom172, I have Kaspersky PURE and Bitdefender Total Security licenses coming through (Black Friday deals were too cheap to resist even if of no use) are any of thos viable? if I were to use a single suite, I think it would be either of those. I'm not sure I can trust Comodo to that extent.

In terms of backup, I have the work folders encrypted, stored individually on an external drive after every session, and I wasn't sure I wanted to continue with my current config to really warrant a system image backup with suspicion that my computer may be infected with a custom malware despite my efforts. I've been slack on that end. I do believe my work is safe, however they're still able to track me online, view my every step. I hate that.

I do all my banking and shopping online as well.

Thanks for the tips so far guys. :)

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
As I said and Tom said, CIS is powerful enough to stand on its own. But if you claim hackers got into your pc then you need a router with a hardware firewall. Using a system image stored on an external HDD is the best thing you can do. Anything else is meaningless.

Word of advice...............Relax and chill out. There is no need for a million layers of security. KeyScrambler cannot protect you against banking malware. Plus you need to pay for SpyShelter to have 64 bit coverage. CIS has an antilogger feature. All of your FF add ons will keep you safe. I am honestly surprised your pc even runs with all that protection. To each his own but your config is way overkill. If your that parinoid then your better off with Avast Internet Security since it has a dedicated browser build in for online banking. Its called Safe Zone.

I

illumination

For the VPN/Network Encryption, try Cocoon for firefox, 256 bit encryption with proxy, works well..

Cocoon

D

Deleted member 178

Maximus is right, Spyshelter free doesn't support x64 system and CIS antilogger works very fine.

I can see that your main concern is data theft (remotely or locally). For that I recommend you Truecrypt, this soft use powerful algorithm to crypt an entire partition, make it invisible after the boot, allow you to create a encrypted vault for stirring your datas. You should test it.

Eiso

Thread author
Nov 25, 2011
The main reason, one of the features that attracted me most about SpyShelter was the 'AntiNetworkSpy'. I liked the idea of that. One of my main issues at the moment is being stalked online, I'm not sure if its packet sniffing or what not. This may sound absurd, but an example I can give is when I visit a gaming forum, as soon as I enter, that very minute a completely offtopic and indirect post revealing personally identifiable information about me is posted. A couple of times, in comments under a sports column, someone with my very exact name posted something relating to something I had just viewed on youtube, also mainly unrelated to the topic at hand. This occurs in video games as well. For egs. Battlefield 3, multiple people with my name and sometimes even my birthdate joins the game server I am on. It has happened far too often to be considered a coinsedence and it is posted in mockery.

I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. I don't know what to do anymore. Your assistance is much appreciated.

Thank you.

P

Plexx

Are you sure you haven't upset anyone Eiso? I just think the examples you described are a bit too much.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Wow you really are paranoid. If you have a good router then you do not need all of this. I have mentioned this 3 times now. If someone is bothering you in BF3 then simply change your gamer tag and email. Its that easy. People cannot just get into your pc. You must have downloaded something or allowed the person in. Are you behind a hardware firewall with NAT? There is no reason at all to be so paranoid. Heck I cleaned up a pc the other day,side job and this woman had over 1,000 infections. She isn't paranoid. She is running NIS actually and just upgraded to NIS 2012 from 2010. I showed her how to use Identity Safe and now she is all set. Its better to be prepared then paranoid. Drop all those layers. Turn on CAV and use CIS's paranoid mode. Presto. Your all set. Oh yeah. Make weekly disk images also. Thats all you need. And if you are still paranoid change all your passwords to at least a 16 digit password then store them in LastPass under a 24 digit password. End of story.

People cannot just get into your pc. Most of the time you allow them in or have download some shady software which planted a rootkit.

Eiso

Thread author
Nov 25, 2011
My apologies, Maximus. I don't mean to demean what you're suggesting. I really, really appreciate the assistance. Though, I don't think I'm able to express the integrity of the situation. This isn't about a specific 'angry gamer' targetting me. It's universal. Everywhere I go. I've changed my e-mail dozens of times. Reformated, repurchased all software / games / whatever under different names. I even got a name change to use online. You have to understand, I'm not an average consumer. I wish I were, but the level of power I'm facing against is as great as it gets. This isn't paranoia, my friend. Added to that, I always visit safe websites, all my software is purchased as I use them professionaly too. However, I have noticed one thing which is when I'm being followed/targeted/bothered it's always on non-SSL connections which does suggest I do need to encrypt my network. Also, you may have not fully read my posts, though I do use strong encrypted passwords. I generate and store all within KeePass to the highest allowed bit for that particular login screen. ;)

Once again, my gratitude for trying to be of assistance.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Ok well once again you did not answer my questions. Thanks anyways. I find it hard to believe that someone is actually stalking you everywhere you go. If that was the case then adding security to your pc will not help the issue. Going to the police will. Also call your ISP and have your IP Address change.

For the forth time...........Are you behind a router with NAT? And yes it is paranoia and plain and simple terms. I am not badgering you. Just giving you friendly advice. You can lock down your pc with every security product out there but until you take legal actions its meaningless. Seems to me that you may have done someone wrong in the past now they are out for revenge. But taking matters into your own hands will not stop it. There are punishments and laws in place for cyber criminals. You should enjoy your pc. Not fear it.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I usually like to keep a light config when it comes to real-time protection , so I would let only CIS run in real time but then again I see that you have your reasons for using this setup....
You have a lot of software running in real time , did you experience any problems ? Are you using any special settings for CIS?

You can also try thewolfsmith72 suggestion , Cocoon is a solid and free add-on that can help you stay anonymous.
I;m sure I don't need you to tell to stay away from Facebook and other social networks if you suspect that you are being stalked while online.

If you are looking for a good Virtualization/Rollback software I strongly recommend that you give Shadow Defender a try :

Shadow Defender at work:
Uploaded by languy99

Another good alternative would be Returnil.

Last edited:

Eiso

Thread author
Nov 25, 2011
Maximus said:
Ok well once again you did not answer my questions. Thanks anyways. I find it hard to believe that someone is actually stalking you everywhere you go. If that was the case then adding security to your pc will not help the issue. Going to the police will. Also call your ISP and have your IP Address change.

For the forth time...........Are you behind a router with NAT? And yes it is paranoia and plain and simple terms. I am not badgering you. Just giving you friendly advice. You can lock down your pc with every security product out there but until you take legal actions its meaningless. Seems to me that you may have done someone wrong in the past now they are out for revenge. But taking matters into your own hands will not stop it. There are punishments and laws in place for cyber criminals. You should enjoy your pc. Not fear it.

Yes, Maximus and I appreciate that. Within my original post, you can see my router configuration. I get an IP change every couple of days. I've been to the police as well.

Thanks.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
RollBack and Shadow Defender are very good Jack but not good when you have a HDD failure. Hence the importance of a disk image. Shadow Defender is also not free. Ok so if you have been to the police then you stop being so paranoid. Keep an eye on your credit and bank accounts. Do monthly credit checks. Thats all you need.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
@Maximus True but I didn't say they were back-up software.....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.