Advice Request Email about LastPass security upgrade and Changed Master Password?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Quick question about LastPass' recent security upgrade. Did you get one too?

The email received does not appear to be a phishing or a scam, and I have removed sensitive details. Shared content below:

Subject: LastPass Security Notification (No Action Required)
Contents: Recent Upgrade
We are notifying you of a routine security upgrade we recently made to all LastPass accounts. Specifically, we increased the default PBKDF2 iterations to 100,100. PBKDF2 is used to protect your master password in the unlikely event of a brute-force attack. We periodically make security upgrades, such as increasing PBKDF2 iterations, to ensure we're providing the best security for users.​
The update happened automatically upon login to your LastPass account. Because the upgrade requires a re-encryption of the vault, LastPass records the event as a password change in your account history, as seen below, though no master password changes have been made. Note that you will be required to log-in again on other devices where you use LastPass.​
Time of Change: [REDACTED]​
From IP Address: [REDACTED]​
For more information on password iterations (e.g. PBKDF2), please see our article here.​
Thanks,​
The LastPass Team​

Ironically, I was in LastPass Account settings when I noticed "You last changed your LastPass master password [x] ago", a1lthough I had not manually changed it. I am going on the assumption it's associated with the PBKDF2 security upgrade.

As far as I am concerned, there is nothing to be alarmed about.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Exact same mail was reported sent to users already 2018 so personal I would start backtrack things and also keep an extra eye on the main account. Have you for example set up so it's only possible to use/login from your country?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I cannot remember if i received this email or not :(
I will have to look through emails to see if I can find it as I had to pay my premium subscription recently.
I had emails concerning that so I cannot remember.
I do not have a recent password change in my settings only the last password change I made.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've already checked account history for logins and events, everything looks normal. I've already disabled mobile access (except my trusted devices) and disallowed Tor network and outside my country logins.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.