Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What should one do in this situation?

What should I recommend the person who owns that email address to do?

How did this happen in the first place and how can it be avoided?

Thanks, I need help a friend.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Prob a yahoo user, happens to people all the time, usually they can change their password to something much harder to be "hacked" if you want to call it that, also I'd probably use something like Gmail as my primary email and get away from yahoo anyways...assuming it is yahoo you are dealing with here currently. Got more details or specifics on how they use the email? Are they using a client like Outlook on their person PC because that obviously would indicate an infection and the solution is going to be different.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's a Hotmail account @live.com, so I guess they are using the web-version.

The email spam links using a bit.ly shorten url to a fake NBC News website. The start of the email begins with my email address.

<email removed> Education does not gaurantee success this does <link removed> it is time to see what everyone else is talking about your goals are always be within reach i had only dreamt of being it successful it really is time to see what everyone else is talking about

<email removed> Much better than working for someone else <link removed> i am convinced it is the best venture ever truly i am now on the path to all truthfully make the logical next financial step and be your own boss prove to everyone that they were wrong about you if you want to know more then click it

<email removed> Have a financial burden look no further <link removed> i have had a wonderful experience on my path to success i can't imagine doing anything other than it ever again if you are interested in living a wealthy future click now it really feels like hitting the lottery

Linuxfever

Jan 11, 2011
This might help you : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-Avoid-Getting-Spammed
Also you should cancel that email account to prevent spam.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Cancel what account?

It's my friends contact email account, I don't think cancelling their email would be ideal for them.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
If you are using @live the same thing applies, change the password and adjust the spam filtering options to be more strict, beyond that you can really only block what you know is bad and report it, it is not advisable to use the "opt out" option because then it tends to worsen, once you attempt to stop it via this method you have instead shown the account to be active. The other option would be to start using a client which would allow for better filtering with a third party program, many of which are free or built-in to the security suites often used, Avast for example. Beyond this welcome to the joys of web based emails, some are certainly better than others.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks, so would changing their password (assuming their PC is clean) would stop their email from sending out spam to whoever is in their contacts list?

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
stormgtr said:
Thanks, so would changing their password (assuming their PC is clean) would stop their email from sending out spam to whoever is in their contacts list?

Usually this is the only course of action for web based email services, the other as mentioned is to blacklist bad email senders and increase spam filtering options offered. Seeing as this is a web based solution you really have very little option but IF the account was in fact compromised then changing the password helps, now if we assume that something has gotten into and recorded the contacts then although it may not be originating from the person in question any longer it is possible to assume these contacts have been "exposed" and may continue to get spammed from some other source. (Not that it does, did, or will happen, but it is always possible)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
They've changed their password (assuming, I still have to ask) and I haven't received any spam. Fingers-crossed. :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yup changing the password when have encountered a spam is a solution usually.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.