Emsisoft 2019.2: Preparing for a big leap

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
This month’s release comes with mostly minor visible improvements such as improved support of high DPI displays, as our developers spent most of their time on preparing the next major step in Emsisoft’s protection software development.

We are planning on launching the public beta testing program for our new Cloud Console within the next couple of weeks. In a nutshell: Emsisoft Cloud Console allows users to remote-manage their Emsisoft protection software from a centralized management panel/web app. The product aims to simplify and streamline typical operational processes of business users, Emsisoft partners and other IT professionals.

More details about Emsisoft Cloud Console will be revealed soon at the launch of the beta. Stay tuned!

All 2019.2 improvements in a nutshell

Emsisoft Anti-Malware

• Improved support for high DPI displays.
  • Preparations for Emsisoft Cloud Console.
  • Several minor tweaks and fixes.
How to obtain the new version

As always, so long as you have auto-updates enabled in the software, you will receive the latest version automatically during your regularly scheduled updates, which are hourly by default. New users, please download the full installer from our product pages.

Note to Enterprise users: If you have chosen to receive “Delayed” updates in the Update settings for your clients, they will receive the new software version no earlier than 30 days after the regular “Stable” availability. This gives you time to perform internal compatibility tests before a new version gets rolled out to your clients automatically.

Have a great and well-protected day!

The post New in 2019.2: Preparing for a big leap appeared first on Emsisoft | Security Blog.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I have to say after reading Emsisoft's reasons for removing the firewall that they were probably right, however I still prefer solutions with a firewall such as for me KIS, ESET SS, Norton Etc - I do suspect they lost customers when they did remove it & not a million years earlier Emsisoft did a piece on the need for an (their) additional firewall to Windows then did a U Turn - However It's their product & they can do what they wish but me for unknown reasons preferred it with a firewall :)

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
I am surprised people aren't more curious about the cloud console thing. I dropped by today specifically to check out the feedback on that as I am currently sick, can't do much else and was kinda bored. So I am slightly disappointed. ;)

I do suspect they lost customers when they did remove it & not a million years earlier Emsisoft did a piece on the need for an (their) additional firewall to Windows then did a U Turn
No matter what you do, you always lose customers. We lost customers from changing a single icon before and we even lost customers when introducing the firewall ("You said you wouldn't do an internet security suite, you liars!"). That just comes with the territory as you can never please everyone.

EAM technically still has a firewall. You just don't have a lot of control over it as it mostly works autonomously as part of the behaviour blocker and the surf protection. We may offer a bit more control over it in the future though so you can regulate how applications are allowed to access the internet as that's the only part that most people care about these days. Packet filters, like the one we offered as part of EIS, are too complex for users to understand and the increase in refunds and support costs to deal with customers running into issues (the vast majority of problems our support staff had to deal with were EIS-specific) is just bigger than the few additional customers who consider your product. At least that is what happened in our case.

Obviously, I completely understand that it sucks if you were one of the few customers that liked the firewall functionality. But in the end, we are a business and as much as we try to consider the needs of smaller user groups, we are too big to survive on a niche market and we have a certain responsibility to make fiscally responsible decisions to make sure the dozens of family livelihoods that depend on our consistent revenue stream stay secure.

I also liked OA Firewall from Tallemu. I still remember that armor logo. :) I am too nostalgic but sadly what is good quickly disappears.
When we bought Online Armor, Online Armor was already dead. It was unable to sustain itself and the two developers that worked on it. It almost sunk the entire TallEmu company. So in a way, we gave it a couple more years but ultimately we just prolonged its suffering, which may or may not have been a mistake.

It's also not that "good quickly disappears". It's that depending on whether or not you find enough people willing to pay for it, so you can continue working on it, you can or can't keep doing it. You have to realise that HIPS are a niche market with very little people being interested in it in the first place. Just look at all the HIPS of the past that were developed by a single person that ultimately sunk because they didn't even manage to get enough revenue to pay rent and living expenses so they could keep working on it.

In my experience, and I know this will be pretty controversial, the people who like to use HIPS are also the ones that are best informed about discounts, promos and ways to avoid paying full price. Some of them hop from product to product, depending on where they get the next best, usually completely free, promo on. That's ultimately a behaviour that is going to kill the niche products you love.

So you either have a super loyal fan base that is aware of the fact that the product and they as a target audience are super niche, so that they are willing to pay full price consistently for continued support, or you cross-finance the project through other means like Comodo or we did.

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
They...Mike and Tall Emu...trusted you Emsi.
It's "Mike's final (OA) blog post - a personal note"
The future for OA looks good, and it's going to be an interesting ride - just one, unfortunately that I am a little too tired to go along on. While things might change over time, this forum will stay as it is - there will be no immediate and dramatic changes, but of course change will come.

I'll let Christian speak more to the future, though as I now move to the past, but Christian and I both hope that you'll stay around and be part of the future too.

What I can tell you on Christian's behalf is this:
  • Product editions will stay untouched. Freeware edition will not end of course.
  • Website remains on www.online-armor.com, but we'll have to move everything away from tallemu.* domains soon.
  • Forum remains, but moved to support.online-armor.com
Which kind of benefits does Emsisoft expect from the deal then?
  • As part of a much larger development team (8 at Emsisoft so far), OA development can progress faster. Sharing knowledge internally is a very important factor for speed and quality of the produced software.
  • With the existing marketing and sales force at Emsisoft, we want to spread the name about OA much more. It's a great product, winning tests, but we need to tell everybody about it to make it grow.
  • On the long run, we have plans to create some kind of a suite product. It's gonna be a completely new product most likely. But things are not finally decided yet.

And you...Emsi...were satisfied
Christian Mairoll – Emsi Software CEO

Softpedia:
We know you cannot discuss takeover details with us, but could you tell us if this offer came from your part, or was it a logical, natural step since Emsisoft dual engine protection was already present in Tall Emu's top product?

Christian Mairoll: As the trend goes to combine security suite products (Antivirus + Firewall), we were looking for a great firewall product and found the best - Online Armor.
Or ...where is the truth?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I am surprised people aren't more curious about the cloud console thing. I dropped by today specifically to check out the feedback on that as I am currently sick, can't do much else and was kinda bored. So I am slightly disappointed. ;)

No matter what you do, you always lose customers. We lost customers from changing a single icon before and we even lost customers when introducing the firewall ("You said you wouldn't do an internet security suite, you liars!"). That just comes with the territory as you can never please everyone.

EAM technically still has a firewall. You just don't have a lot of control over it as it mostly works autonomously as part of the behaviour blocker and the surf protection. We may offer a bit more control over it in the future though so you can regulate how applications are allowed to access the internet as that's the only part that most people care about these days. Packet filters, like the one we offered as part of EIS, are too complex for users to understand and the increase in refunds and support costs to deal with customers running into issues (the vast majority of problems our support staff had to deal with were EIS-specific) is just bigger than the few additional customers who consider your product. At least that is what happened in our case.

Obviously, I completely understand that it sucks if you were one of the few customers that liked the firewall functionality. But in the end, we are a business and as much as we try to consider the needs of smaller user groups, we are too big to survive on a niche market and we have a certain responsibility to make fiscally responsible decisions to make sure the dozens of family livelihoods that depend on our consistent revenue stream stay secure.

When we bought Online Armor, Online Armor was already dead. It was unable to sustain itself and the two developers that worked on it. It almost sunk the entire TallEmu company. So in a way, we gave it a couple more years but ultimately we just prolonged its suffering, which may or may not have been a mistake.

It's also not that "good quickly disappears". It's that depending on whether or not you find enough people willing to pay for it, so you can continue working on it, you can or can't keep doing it. You have to realise that HIPS are a niche market with very little people being interested in it in the first place. Just look at all the HIPS of the past that were developed by a single person that ultimately sunk because they didn't even manage to get enough revenue to pay rent and living expenses so they could keep working on it.

In my experience, and I know this will be pretty controversial, the people who like to use HIPS are also the ones that are best informed about discounts, promos and ways to avoid paying full price. Some of them hop from product to product, depending on where they get the next best, usually completely free, promo on. That's ultimately a behaviour that is going to kill the niche products you love.

So you either have a super loyal fan base that is aware of the fact that the product and they as a target audience are super niche, so that they are willing to pay full price consistently for continued support, or you cross-finance the project through other means like Comodo or we did.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I still am one of your customers & have been since 'A Squared', the cloud hasn't happened yet & isn't in beta so maybe when it happens more interest may occur. I visited New Zealand last year from the UK & had a look where your registered offices were in sunny Nelson a most beautiful city. (no idea how the above occurred & I can't fix it - sorry!) :mad:

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012

Thanks for this reply, Fabian. To me the reply seems quite sincere and i think that if we judge the matter from both sides, the decision will be different.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Or ...where is the truth?
How is either of those two postings in contrast to the fiscal reality that OA back then already struggled to be profitable? I never said OA was a bad product. Just that OA didn't have enough mainstream appeal to pay for its development cost and we heavily subsidized it. There is a reason Mike wanted to sell, to begin with. :)

But don't take my word for it:

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
One thing that has come from this thread esp post #10 from Fabian is some info I simply wasn't aware of despite reading most Emsisoft mails etc. It's been most helpful, interesting & I thank you for it even if was posted due to perceived lack of interest - Thanks :)

Attachments

• EM.jpg
    EM.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
I usually am pretty open and blunt when it comes to information, probably to a fault as some people here will almost certainly agree. So if you want to know something, you can just ask. Chances are I will tell you, provided I wouldn't violate any NDA. A little bit of an AMA to distract myself from the crippling earache I am having in both ears and the fact that I am practically deaf at the moment. Because if I do something, I do it properly. Getting an ear infection in only one ear is for quitters. :p

Anyway, would the staff be okay with that?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.