DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
hate.PNG

It has begun.

Does it still use that huge settings window ? I have a hard time understanding the rationale behind combining all settings onto a single pane where you have to scroll down through a huge interface. Most people want compartmentalization and a huge single settings pane sure isn't it.

Reactions: given

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Does it still use that huge settings window ? I have a hard time understanding the rationale behind combining all settings onto a single pane where you have to scroll down through a huge interface. Most people want compartmentalization and a huge single settings pane sure isn't it.

Yes you can scroll or click up at the top.

2018-09-12_8-40-03.png

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Worrying it may not be compatible with that version of GC. Reckon the bug will be fixed with updated versions of Chrome?

~LDogg

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Worrying it may not be compatible with that version of GC. Reckon the bug will be fixed with updated versions of Chrome?

~LDogg
I think it's Emsisoft that has to change/fix something. Surf protection will now only work with Firefox or Chromium based browsers that are behind Google and Chromium in updates. See the 2 posts of GT500 in this forum thread: Surf Protection Does Not Work With Google Chrome 69.0.3497.81
They are now not compatible with Chrome and Edge.
If they change nothing in the future they are not compatible with every Chromium based browser and Firefox.
EDIT: So they definitely have to do something, but i hope they find a smart way and do not have to use browser extensions.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

That GUI just makes no sense to me. Scrolling down via all those settings is a lot less efficient than switching between tabs - tabs that keep the settings clearly defined and separated (compartmentalized). With tabs the logic makes more sense as well. Anyhow... thanks... it certainly is a curiosity.

It's not a good UI anymore. I tried it this weekend and while I really liked the panes, I hated the long endless scrolling of settings. Not good at all.

Also the BB now is sleepy, but when it's not sleepy it allows the user to bypass every single alert with 'This program is fine' or something. That may fly with techs, prosumers, and the wise but for average joes they'll probably just click allow on everything defeating the purpose of the BB. Hopefully Emsisoft will transition nicely through these troubling times and come out in a year or so better for all of it. But right now, I didn't see any reason to fall in love with it.

It reminds me of GData. I like it, I like the dual engine and decent firewall. But those disjointed, largely useless extra modules need to be taken out and they need to fix a lot of bugs in it. The days of my love of these boutique offerings seems to be coming to an end.

Reactions: given
E

Eddie Morra

Reckon the bug will be fixed with updated versions of Chrome?
It's not a bug of Google Chrome AFAIK... it was done intentionally. Google Chrome is flagging Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware vendors who inject code into their processes (regardless of whether they are the culprit of crashes on the environment or not).

Emsisoft have to change how a component within their product works to get Google off their back or they will continue being flagged by them, and that's all there is to it.

EDIT: Added more detail to make my post less-confusing. If I was a normal reader and was reading the original post, I'd be confused about what I was saying. The edit was necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Venustus and given

It's not a good UI anymore. I tried it this weekend and while I really liked the panes, I hated the long endless scrolling of settings. Not good at all.

Also the BB now is sleepy, but when it's not sleepy it allows the user to bypass every single alert with 'This program is fine' or something. That may fly with techs, prosumers, and the wise but for average joes they'll probably just click allow on everything defeating the purpose of the BB. Hopefully Emsisoft will transition nicely through these troubling times and come out in a year or so better for all of it. But right now, I didn't see any reason to fall in love with it.

It reminds me of GData. I like it, I like the dual engine and decent firewall. But those disjointed, largely useless extra modules need to be taken out and they need to fix a lot of bugs in it. The days of my love of these boutique offerings seems to be coming to an end.

The 'Big Scroll" is just odd.

I have found a whole lot more security related problems with GData than Emsisoft.

I report stuff to Emsisoft… it gets fixed. I report stuff to GData… no reply and no fix. Hell, GData has allowed 10-year annoyances and bugs to remain.

Emsisoft has its stuff together better than GData. It's common knowledge.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The 'Big Scroll" is just odd.

I have found a whole lot more security related problems with GData than Emsisoft.

I report stuff to Emsisoft… it gets fixed. I report stuff to GData… no reply and no fix. Hell, GData has allowed 10-year annoyances and bugs to remain.

Emsisoft has its stuff together better than GData. It's common knowledge.

I wasn't saying they did, just making a boutique statement.

Gdata for a 50 million a year company sure does let bugs languish. That whole partner installer CDN issue still remains. Basically anyone buying Gdata from US payment processors and Amazon is getting a client that pushes out to an old, turned off CDN where it will never install. So instead of putting a forwarder on it they turned it off and left it. That's incompetent IMO.

Nevertheless, Emsisoft has great support IMO. Performance issues (slower boots), BB issues, and interface issues aside.

I wasn't saying they did, just making a boutique statement.

Gdata for a 50 million a year company sure does let bugs languish. That whole partner installer CDN issue still remains. Basically anyone buying Gdata from US payment processors and Amazon is getting a client that pushes out to an old, turned off CDN where it will never install. So instead of putting a forwarder on it they turned it off and left it. That's incompetent IMO.

Nevertheless, Emsisoft has great support IMO. Performance issues (slower boots), BB issues, and interface issues aside.

I've gotten more competent and insightful email support from Emsisoft than live phone support from GData. :X3:

So I am willing to pay Emsisoft's ask price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.