App Review Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2018: Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Offtopic: I have a question: Do you have a screen that can display UHD?
---
Well, if this is your last video of the old style, then I wouldn't have uploaded it because it's very badly done. But the more I look forward to the next ones!

Aerdian

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
Offtopic: I have a question: Do you have a screen that can display UHD?
---
Well, if this is your last video of the old style, then I wouldn't have uploaded it because it's very badly done. But the more I look forward to the next ones!

1.) Yes. 2.) Sorry about posting it. It still seemed like a lot of people liked this style, so I thought it was still fine to post :)

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I don't know what you would think of that, but I think I have another suggestion:

How about not specifying the detection rate, but whether the product would have scored better than Windows Defender or worse. You would have to test Windows Defender with the samples first and then the desired product with the same samples. You don't have to show Defender in the video, just mention the result at the beginning. Then you would have an expectation picture of what this product has to do and in the case it would perform worse, you would know if you can recommend it or not.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Emsisoft seems to has nice & very detailed ui, thanks for sharing Aerdian

Id like to see some Syshardener/ osarmor + av tests, that arent that common ones

Syshardener + windows defender (andys conf)+ ransomware protection on, with recent malware samples

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Summary: EAM blocked 12/12 samples and 4/4 malicious URLs of unknown origin and date.

You'd get a more detailed product review from 1 Hub thread than you'd find in these 104 seconds. I hope your new format diverts greatly from this one. I can't see why people prefer the shorter format, other than not actually caring about an in-depth product review.

As I've suggested before, your tests should not include 2 security software when you're reviewing just one of them. Get rid of Comodo Firewall. Mention the origin and dates of the malware you are using. Don't mislead the review process by throwing around "100% detection" when it was only 12 malware. A 12-malware test should be trusted with less than a grain of salt.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
@Aerdian thanks for the video!

When you test malwares, do you do that on a VM ( Virtual machine )? If not I would recommend you start to read up and try to follow a few extra basic tips in the sticky guidelines posted here : Malware Analysis if you haven't already as I see the VPN. (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Nice review.

If only I could find a coupon for Emsisoft, I would switch. But right now, it's a bit too high priced for the number of PC's I need to cover and I never seem to see any discounts anywhere.

Reactions: Aerdian and slash/

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I don't consider this high resource usage. As far as pricing goes for one computer I don"t feel its high, first year $44.00 Canadian, with discounts on my 4th year its down to $33.00. Cheap, not sure though how much for multiple computers as ForgottenSeer 58943 is looking for.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 382

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
I don't consider this high resource usage.
That idle RAM usage is similar to BD IS, but still IME 3 to 4 times higher than some other choices like ESET or KIS. When scanning Emsisoft significantly spikes in memory usage which may be due to implementation of its dual engine scanner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerdian

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
You guys need to chill down! He already mentioned he had a few videos recorded before we started suggesting great tips. Let our pal share the videos he invested time into creating and editing (despite they may not be perfect) and lets look forward to the next ones.

Aerdian, thanks for sharing it with us. Although it's simple and short, it's quick and effective, gives people a general insight into the product. I'm sure next tests will include serious tips we here suggested :)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You guys need to chill down! He already mentioned he had a few videos recorded before we started suggesting great tips. Let our pal share the videos he invested time into creating and editing (despite they may not be perfect) and lets look forward to the next ones.

Aerdian, thanks for sharing it with us. Although it's simple and short, it's quick and effective, gives people a general insight into the product. I'm sure next tests will include serious tips we here suggested :)

+1 - Said as only a robot can! :)

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@RoboMan There is a good balance of people saying their thanks, and people giving constructive criticism in here. That balance is needed for improvement in these reviews.
Yes. Constructive criticism is good and needed. It has been given in all our friend's thread and should always be given, in all further threads.

I personally do not find these kind of posts "constructive". No offense to anyone, hence why I don't quote with names.
I wouldn't have uploaded it because it's very badly done
You'd get a more detailed product review from 1 Hub thread than you'd find in these 104 seconds

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
@RoboMan This is going to be my last comment on the matter since I can see the direction you're taking this in. Anyone can complain about a partial quote if taken out of context.

The first quote refers to the fact that the uploader knew about the previous criticism and decided to upload the video anyway because it was "already done".

The second quote (thanks, btw) refers to the first portion of that same post, which is 12 malware samples and 4 malicious URLs were tested. The Hub has bigger singular malware packs than this entire review did.

Aerdian

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
Thank you everyone for your feedback!

@askalan That's an interesting idea that I didn't think of. I could try that for a video or two :)
@Moonhorse Thanks for the suggestion :)
@slash/ Thanks for the feedback! Everyone has their own opinions :) I am planning on making more soon when I'm not as busy.
@upnorth Yes. It is done in a VM. That is actually the reason why I haven't made any new ones recently (I'm switching from VMWare Player to Workstation and have to re-set up the VM.)
@Emsisoft Glad to help!
@ForgottenSeer 58943 Yeah. It's too bad Emsisoft doesn't have a free version.
@Bill K BD is pretty high and Emsisoft definitely isn't low either :(
@RoboMan I appreciate the feedback I receive :)
@slash/ I do very much appreciate the feedback you gave :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.