Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 9.0.0.4985 released. This is a maintenance release for improved usability, speed, detection and stability.

– Update to 9.0.0.4985 requires a computer reboot.
  • New Emsisoft Protection Platform implementation.
  • New notification with scan statistics after boot, if PC was shutdown by ‘Shutdown computer on scan completion’.
  • New scheduled scans button on scan dialog.
  • New context menu for application rules dialog.
  • Improved Behavior Blocker digital signature check on computer startup.
  • Improved update process.
  • Improved Automatic Update scheduler.
  • Improved logging details for Behavior Blocker/File Guard/Surf Protection.
  • Improved automatic refreshing of logs.
  • Improved ‘Restore’ and ‘Save copy’ from Quarantine now shows a dialog asking if you want to add the file to white-list.
  • Improved Restore from Quarantine now shows a dialog asking if you want to overwrite an existing file.
  • Improved Whitelist grid keyboard navigation.
  • Improved Installation Wizard now requires a reboot at the last step instead of after scan (when malware has been found)
  • Improved Installation Wizard now shows an error message when the service cannot be installed.
  • Improved support for TLS for Email notifications.
  • Improved loading of hosts file in Protection/Surf Protection.
  • Improved stability and GUI enhancements.
  • Fixed a possible install wizard hang after entering an incorrect license key.
  • Fixed an occasional issue where “Application changed alert” resulted in a loop.
  • Fixed a crash on GUI unload after “Shutdown on scan finish”, if auto-quarantine option selected.
  • Fixed repeated removable drive notification.
  • Fixed an issue where sending a test email froze the GUI.
  • Fixed a possible application crash on pc shutdown.
  • Fixed a possible install wizard hang when an invalid license key was entered.
  • Fixed an issue with the Notification Area icon context menu.
  • Fixed an issue with Surf Protection for Chromium based browsers.
  • Fixed an issue in Windows safe mode.
Emsisoft Internet Security:
Additionally:
  • New “Block All” feature for Firewall In and Firewall Out on application rules dialog.
Source

H

hjlbx

Is it lighter on system resources?

Hello viktik,

Both EAM and EIS are intended to operate as follows:

1. Perform initial system scan during installation.
2. After system has been rated clean or after disinfection simply leave File Guard activated.

That is it !

While you can schedule scans using various profiles it is not necessary if File Guard remains active.

Following the above method I hardly notice EAM or EIS is there.

The only time I notice any type of system impact is during the default scheduled hourly update (which you can change). It occasionally causes a webpage to load a little slower, but otherwise I have found no objectionable resource hits to be completely honest.

If you go about your normal work (and do not keep watching CPU/RAM usage in your system monitor) it is unlikely that you will notice any significant system slow downs. For example, I use EIS and am forever archiving files/folders, have multiple webpages open, running multiple apps, etc and if there is any kind of significant hit then I haven't seen it. With EIS on my system it just doesn't happen...:D

On my W8.1 AMD A8-6410 system I only perform on-demand full system scans after testing against malware.

NOTE:

The full system scan will consume system resources, but it is no different than any other typical full system AV scan. Emsi recommends such scans be performed/scheduled while you are not using the computer.

Hope this answers your question.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Reactions: silversurfer

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Working smooth and nice with all my PC's. Also, working well with the new beta version of Malwarebytes!

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Emsisoft Internet Security (Clean Installation) prompted me to first download a Hotfix from Microsoft for Windows 7 (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2958399)

This may or may not be required per your system configuration (just a heads up).

Thank you to MalwareTips and Emsisoft by the way. The MWT giveaway a month or two ago was very helpful and I love the product!
I am grateful. :)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I'm trying out different antivirus software on my old laptop and wonder if Emsisoft Internet Security offers the same degree of protection that Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 offers?

H

hjlbx

I'm trying out different antivirus software on my old laptop and wonder if Emsisoft Internet Security offers the same degree of protection that Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 offers?

Kaspersky offers more features and has powerful policy restrictions module (restricted app permissions/resource access). However, to use policy restrictions module requires advanced knowledge. Kaspersky available only in 32 bit and password manager does not function on 64 bit systems.

EIS is easier to learn and use. 32/64 bit.

It comes down to user preference and system performance as both will provide top-of-class protection.

I used to use Comodo Internet Security in hardened mode. I dropped it when I found EIS...so what does that tell you?

Reactions: soccer97

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014

I cannot definitively state that because I haven't used them side-by-side. I was using Kaspersky Products (up until the 2014 versions). They provided great protection, but the frequent performance issues and the sometimes 1-2 months long delay of patches/fixes that would fix Browser broken add-ons and even some important things made me switch.

Emsisoft Internet Security is lighter and seems to offer good protection. They have a promotion going on right now as well:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/internetsecurity/

Click on the "Show me this weeks offer" -it is free backup software.

H

hjlbx

Kaspersky 2015 only works on 32 bit systems?

It comes only in 32 bit version - which you should not let that affect your decision as it is not a serious limitation. It will work on both 32 and 64 bit systems - except password manager only works on 32 bit.

EIS available in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Much better support Emsisoft...post issues on forum, wait for reply...development, not help desk, provides support!

support.emsisoft.com

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
It comes only in 32 bit version - which you should not let that affect your decision as it is not a serious limitation. It will work on both 32 and 64 bit systems - except password manager only works on 32 bit.

EIS available in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Much better support Emsisoft...post issues on forum, wait for reply...development, not help desk, provides support!

support.emsisoft.com

Emsisoft provides this type of support? That is awesome. If this is the case then I would by far rate their support better based on experience.

H

hjlbx

Emsisoft has technical support via email/ticket submission and forum.

Best option is to post any issues experienced on forum. Forum can be slow, especially on weekends. But if you are willing to wait, then their support is exceptionally good. Afterall, that is really what you are paying for when you purchase their software.

Also, Emsisoft is very small team of experts in their respective fields. :D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: soccer97

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Emsisoft has great support i love them :D
Thomas Ott will reply to all questions and problem :p

Reactions: Moose

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I emailed Emsisoft on Monday evening about 10pm and I got a reply within 5-10 minutes, excellent support. I am trying their internet security suite, and I am very pleased at what protection they offer.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
EIS 8 was consuming a lot of battery power of my laptop in comparison to ESET, how's EIS 9 in this regard?

H

hjlbx

Hello Tani,

On my W8.1 AMD A8-6410 I use "High Performance" power settings - so that has more to do with faster battery drain than anything else.

When I change settings to "Balanced" or "Power Saver" I will typically get at least 2 to 4 hours with EIS installed...even if I run a full system scan, but generally I do not do that. The key to conserving power with EIS, or any AV for that matter, is not to run any scans while on battery.

Another factor is that my laptop battery is relatively newer; if it were old I would expect less battery time.

Emsi made some improvements in this area with version 9 so to see if they did a good job you will have to try it out on your specific system.

Hope this answers your questions.

Reactions: Tani and Moose
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.