Battle Emsisoft Anti-Malware or BitDefender Total Security?

Compare list
Emsisoft Anti - Malware
BitDefender Total Security
In-depth Comparison

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
For example BitDefender Total Security & Emsisoft are very different beasts - One is an all dancing all singing suite that gives several modules, Emsisoft is a decent anti-malware program with two engines & support that's first class - Frankly I dislike BitDefender products giving me things I don't need & lack of control, + bloat - On this PC I have Emsisoft, easy to install, great service & easy to uninstall & I feel underrated - The screen shot says it all :eek:

Attachments

• EM.png
    EM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 560

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
In terms of detection, Bitdefender is better. Has been for a long time.

Yeah, Emsisoft has better customer service, a nice rep who comes to MT, a strong privacy policy.... but in the end, it's all about detection/prevention.

Normally in the 'what should I pick' questions of Emsisoft vs others, I choose Emsisoft. But Bit has a much longer history of excellence in detection and a recent improvement in software performance.

I trialed Bit 2020 for a short period and was impressed.

A smart-guy here at MT who has used all sorts of AVs should comment. He's using Bitdefender now.

@Nightwalker --- can you opine on this?

Additionally, @ForgottenSeer 58943 has put Bitdefender 2020 on a buttload of computers now, and as of last report, it was going very well.

And check out the Bitdefender 2020 thread.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
This choice isnt easy, both products are top tier, solid security solutions that have proven themselves year after year.

Having said that, Emsisoft has a superior PUA/PUP (potentially unwanted application/potentially unwanted program) protection and its more privacy oriented with a great support, while Bitdefender has a more automatic, silent style of protection with a great behavior blocker, while being cheaper with more features.

Performance wise, Bitdefender has improved a lot and I may say that in my machine it runs better than Emsisoft.

All in all considered, you cant go wrong with either.

I recommend you to give both a trial and see how they behave in your machine, personally I am enjoying Bitdefender very much, this 2020 version was a pleasant surprise for me.

(very low cpu usage with BD running)
Capturar.PNG

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you use either the 2 most recent versions of Windows 10* (v1809 or v1903) then continue to use Windows Defender Antivirus or opt-for Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Otherwise running any previous versions of Windows (not Windows 10), then go Bitdefender.

*Versions correct at time of posting

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
For example BitDefender Total Security & Emsisoft are very different beasts - One is an all dancing all singing suite that gives several modules, Emsisoft is a decent anti-malware program with two engines & support that's first class - Frankly I dislike BitDefender products giving me things I don't need & lack of control, + bloat - On this PC I have Emsisoft, easy to install, great service & easy to uninstall & I feel underrated - The screen shot says it all :eek:
Whey are their user interface similar each other

Reactions: Cortex and bribon77

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.