Battle Emsisoft Internet Security 11 vs. VIPRE Internet Security 2016

A

Alkajak

Thread author
Looking mainly for detection vs. lightness on the system. Balance of both. ESET is noticeably bloated.

Edit: No poll. Voting can be done through a post comparing both products. That is to say, you must have tested both products to validate your vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Noxx

Thread author
From having used both products, I feel like VIPRE's HIPS/IDS is slightly more sensitive than EIS behavior blocker. That doesn't exactly mean that VIPRE is better in that regard, but it's a little more vocal. In terms of lightness / performance, both are close. If you have VIPRE on FULL protection (there's room to disable some), it does run a bit slower than EMSISOFT (even with EIS real-time scanning set to run on executable), but for people with more powerful PC's, this won't prove too much of an issue. In the scanning tech/signature department, I think EMSISOFT reigns supreme, as VIPRE seems to be very dependent on its HIPS/IDS protection, which as I've already said, it's amazing at. Overall, I think for more hands-on users, VIPRE Internet Security has a lot to offer. EMSISOFT Internet Security is strong with very little customization needed. Verdict? Both hold their own, and I've yet to come to a final decision on the matter.

Reactions: Alkajak

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
EIS: its firewall component is more mature than VIPRE firewall with HIPS and IDS turned on, at least on my tests.

EIS BB is known for its stellar performance. VIPRE defense mechanism is also very good but strickly comparing both, Emsisoft takes the lead.

Terms of system impact, taking updates aside, both are light enough on any mid to high end system. During scanning however EIS is a bit busier on CPU.

VIPRE IS does not contain the Cloud technology so beware of that. Its the IS Pro that does.

As for VIPRE HIPS/IDS, unless you understand how each component works, better off to leave them in default settings when you turn them on. Even then it is set to automatically allow apart from high priority intrusions.

So all in all, take your pick.

Reactions: Alkajak and Noxx

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Even though Vipre is already matured enough compare to Emsisoft however there performance is already different.

Emsisoft already engage to have full effective concept of BB + Cloud enhancement and Firewall compare to Vipre's technology although HIPS is overall solution to any bypass scenario.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Even though Vipre is already matured enough compare to Emsisoft however there performance is already different.

Emsisoft already engage to have full effective concept of BB + Cloud enhancement and Firewall compare to Vipre's technology although HIPS is overall solution to any bypass scenario.
Emsisoft BB is a bit noisy... Try installing Adguard with Emsisoft and its BB will display alerts left right and center. Vipre did not have such issue.

VIPRE HIPS is disabled by default for a reason tho. Average user will be fine with such default settings, thats the pros of VIPRE.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Emsisoft BB is a bit noisy... Try installing Adguard with Emsisoft and its BB will display alerts left right and center. Vipre did not have such issue.

VIPRE HIPS is disabled by default for a reason tho. Average user will be fine with such default settings, thats the pros of VIPRE.
If HIPS disabled by default in Vipre then what other stuff is there enabled for 0 day or proactive?

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If HIPS disabled by default in Vipre then what other stuff is there enabled for 0 day or proactive?
BB and the AVC.
Please note that HIPS and IDS are not available in AV version, yet it performs just fine.
different products for different flavours, both good, users will have no issues with one or another basically.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
As for Emsisoft I have found it easy to use and configure, I love that I can manually add any item I choose to Quarantine requardless of detection or not, and the price. PeAcE
Is that better ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alkajak

Thread author
Will finish up this thread with a small review since I did the testing myself as well.

Where they are the same:
-Equally light on the system
-Have great signature databases
-Beautiful UI

Where they are different:
-Emsisoft is more hands-on with its dynamic scans, you feel more in control. Behaviour blocker is one of its best features. It is also better on detection.
-VIPRE is very aggressive, blocking is automated, rarely (or never) prompts you for anything

Bottom-line (for me):
-Emsisoft will be my main testing product, and can easily replace ESET in performance if need be. Second best in detection from what I've seen, and very light.
-VIPRE was blocking zippyshare.com (which is what we use for uploading packs in the Malware Hub). The problem with blocking zippyshare is that whitelisting that site is impossible. Their URLs consist of www##.zippyshare.com, where ## is a random number.

Reactions: Noxx

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Thread closed as conclusion has been drawn.
For further info on products discussed refer to threads in archive section.
Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.