Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
It might be a good idea to hear thoughts and comments regarding this test from our Emsisoft Developers ;)
@Fabian Wosar

Pros:
Emsisoft Internet Security 12 has a number of good things about it:
  • Its antivirus engine is very good at detecting and removing malware from your computer
  • The web shield is very efficient and won’t let you get near any dangerous website, regardless of the web browser that you use
  • The firewall module does a very good job at protecting you when using public networks
  • The user interface looks good and its design makes it very easy to use by anyone, on any kind of device, including devices with touch
  • Emsisoft Internet Security 12 has almost no negative effect on your computer’s performance

But there are also a few things that aren’t that good about it:

Cons:

• The antivirus doesn’t have a proactive approach when it comes to removable drives
  • Having to manually scan such drives in order to clean them isn’t the best way to protect you
  • The firewall module is only average in effectiveness when connected to private networks
  • There are no additional tools included, neither good nor bad ones

PRODUCT RATED: 3/5

Verdict
Emsisoft Internet Security 12 is a solid security product that’s more than capable of protecting you against any offline or online threats. In this security suite, you get a highly efficient antivirus engine, a good web shield, and a decent firewall. All this is nicely packaged in a good looking and easy to use user interface that you’ll surely like. Before making a purchasing choice, you should also take into consideration that the firewall is not that great when you use private networks and that you should be careful to manually clean all the removable drives you work with. Last but not least, you should be informed about the fact that Emsisoft Internet Security 12 doesn’t include any extra tools like parental controls or a VPN service. This “bloat-free” approach will attract some people, but it will also not please others. From our point of view, Emsisoft Internet Security 12 is a solid security product that you should consider, especially if you want a simple, basic approach to security that works well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
"Having to manually scan such drives in order to clean them isn’t the best way to protect you"

It is not clear this step because Emsisoft automatically scans any external drive when it is inserted.

In my opinion product rated 4,5/5

M

MalwareBlockerYT

I would rate 4.5/5 at least...

• The antivirus doesn’t have a proactive approach when it comes to removable drives
  • Having to manually scan such drives in order to clean them isn’t the best way to protect you
  • The firewall module is only average in effectiveness when connected to private networks
  • There are no additional tools included, neither good nor bad ones

The Firewall is equally as good as Windows Firewall & that is perfectly fine.
No tools means no wasted storage space, no slow downs, etc - this is a better approach than adding loads of tools to your installer & forcing users to include them.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
3/5 emmm its very low...
I get it 3/75 just for its great BB :D
I use EIS for 1 year its slowdown my boot (over 1.45 min),also heavy update(when you do't update it for over2 days) and so little buggy.
:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 178

Emsisoft Internet Security 12 has almost no negative effect on your computer’s performance

I will disagree with that, it is not heavy as some other solutions but can't be classified as light.

There are no additional tools included, neither good nor bad ones

that is a decision of the devs to not bloat it with crap tools.

Emsisoft

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Jul 27, 2013
The reviewer unfortunately didn't spend the time understanding the product. Otherwise they wouldn't have written so much nonsense in that review.

The popup on connecting new removable drives clearly tells that all drives are automatically covered by the real-time scan. Any earlier scan is just a waste of resources and only shifts the time of scanning from "right now" to "when I access stuff on the drive". For security, an immediate scan doesn't improve anything, so their statement is simply wrong. Just because other AVs do it that way, it doesn't automatically mean it's the best way to do it. Though, we're considering adding a "scan now" button in that popup for those who don't want to understand it.

Also regarding the 'effectiveness of the firewall' the reviewer doesn't provide any additional details, which turns that sentence more into a personal taste thing. My personal guess is that the reviewer desperately looked for downsides of the product but couldn't find any substantial ones.

Same applies to the 'missing tools'. Again the reviewer didn't understand the scope of the product. Having no bloat is a feature and the biggest advantage of Emsisoft products, not a weakness.

Over are the times when experts took more than 10 minutes to really test products in a professional way...

W

Wave

The reviewer unfortunately didn't spend the time understanding the product. Otherwise they wouldn't have written so much nonsense in that review.

The popup on connecting new removable drives clearly tells that all drives are automatically covered by the real-time scan. Any earlier scan is just a waste of resources and only shifts the time of scanning from "right now" to "when I access stuff on the drive". For security, an immediate scan doesn't improve anything, so their statement is simply wrong. Just because other AVs do it that way, it doesn't automatically mean it's the best way to do it. Though, we're considering adding a "scan now" button in that popup for those who don't want to understand it.

Also regarding the 'effectiveness of the firewall' the reviewer doesn't provide any additional details, which turns that sentence more into a personal taste thing. My personal guess is that the reviewer desperately looked for downsides of the product but couldn't find any substantial ones.

Same applies to the 'missing tools'. Again the reviewer didn't understand the scope of the product. Having no bloat is a feature and the biggest advantage of Emsisoft products, not a weakness.

Over are the times when experts took more than 10 minutes to really test products in a professional way...
I completely agree with you, I was thinking the same thing regarding the USB devices and the bloat-free product when I saw the review... Hence why I never left a Like on the thread.

They neither mentioned the Behavior Blocker component which is an important factor within Emsisoft products IMO.

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016

As for the Skype FW alert it clearly states it is not digitally signed, so yes I would like to get that notification regardless if it is a "very popular" app or not. What if a trojan had the same name or something similar. If you know it's trusted is it so hard to click allow. I currently have EAM, but from the screenshot it says it's trying to receive incoming data, is this uninitiated data? Is a Skype server trying to communicate with the app behind the scenes without the user's knowledge, because if it is, you better believe I would want to know about it. As for private network profile not being as secure, well private networks are typically more trusted and the open ports are most likely for file sharing, netbios, and network mapping. And if you don't want them open, create the rules yourself to close them. But he's probably too much of a dunce to know how to, or if they were blocked by default he would be complaining that he can't access any network files. This review is garbage. Come on..All he did was run a few scans (none of which were after any proactive testing) and completely ignored the BB and any real-time protection modules.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebsat

idaho

Level 1
Verified
Nov 1, 2015
I would rate Emsisoft Internet Security 5/5. Is many security solutions, where is great protection, but Emsisoft has something more here. Or beter said, something less here - no blatware inscluded. That is reason, why I use Emsisoft for 7 years and will use till they start load product with some cleaners, antispam, parental controls, some fancy looking animation cartoon style UI. Emsisoft plays fair game here, who paid money, will receive good customer support and product protecting PC.

Reactions: Rebsat
W

Wave

I would rate Emsisoft Internet Security 5/5. Is many security solutions, where is great protection, but Emsisoft has something more here. Or beter said, something less here - no blatware inscluded. That is reason, why I use Emsisoft for 7 years and will use till they start load product with some cleaners, antispam, parental controls, some fancy looking animation cartoon style UI. Emsisoft plays fair game here, who paid money, will receive good customer support and product protecting PC.
For some people Emsisoft will be a good choice but not for everyone. for some people other vendors like Avast, BD or ESET or even Kaspersky might fit the boot.. all depends on how knowledgeable the user is and what they really need at the end of the day.

for example, if a user is looking for protection for a family system and wants to install and forget but does not have much experience then imo emsisoft would not be a good pick, they won't know how to work the BB alerts properly... then they'd be missing out on an important feature the product provides. whereas another vendor may be more adapted for their needs. whereas someone like me who understands the alerts might find functionality like the BB useful and decide to manually configure things and use it. and so on

depends on person/needs, for you its clearly working great since you gave it a 5/5. overall though i cannot deny that emsisoft is a great vendor, I would rate 4.5/5 but not entirely 5. why? because nothing is perfect, but its close imo

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I'm also an old customer, I use Emsisoft from when it was called A-squared...and I think the best reviewer is the one that deeply knows the product.
I've given 4.5/5 simply because a good product has always the potential to improve, as @Wave said, the continuous evolution always leads to good results.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
"Having to manually scan such drives in order to clean them isn’t the best way to protect you"

It is not clear this step because Emsisoft automatically scans any external drive when it is inserted.

In my opinion product rated 4,5/5
No it doesn't. It's just a notification that the removable device is protected. If it does then inserting a USB 1TB SSD would take a long time to scan.

Read below

Disable Auto Usb Scan

aries91

Level 2
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
I would give a 5/5 just for their good support.
Emsisoft is my favorite antivirus since 3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.