Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
How did Emsisoft end up with so many elderly people using it?
High price point combined with focus on support. Young people who do know computers prefer cheaper solutions as they can usually handle everything else themselves. Older people generally have more disposable income and don't mind paying a premium if that means they have great support and get their issues taken care for them in a timely manner.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
High price point combined with focus on support. Young people who do know computers prefer cheaper solutions as they can usually handle everything else themselves. Older people generally have more disposable income and don't mind paying a premium if that means they have great support and get their issues taken care for them in a timely manner.
From my experience, the best security solutions just happen to be the ones designed for older adults or children. A lot of effort is being put into automating things, detecting the right things and ruling out false positives. Meanwhile all the teenagers swear on Malwarebytes because they have a robot mascot on their homepage....

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

From my experience, the best security solutions just happen to be the ones designed for older adults or children. A lot of effort is being put into automating things, detecting the right things and ruling out false positives. Meanwhile all the teenagers swear on Malwarebytes because they have a robot mascot on their homepage....

Gryphon is a good example, it's target are adults, it's price point is adults and it's probably the best consumer firewall/router available with UTM-Like features. So I can see their target audience and understand why they do it. I've always been attracted to boutique software/hardware offerings with a higher cost of entry or pay walls. Free feels really dirty to me and I avoid all things free as I consider them to often come bundled with ulterior motives. In the USA, when you buy stuff you activate certain consumer protection laws (Federal and Local), which I also like to have on my side.

If someone gave me a free hotdog I would toss money in the tip jar. I despise free.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Gryphon is a good example, it's target are adults, it's price point is adults and it's probably the best consumer firewall/router available with UTM-Like features. So I can see their target audience and understand why they do it. I've always been attracted to boutique software/hardware offerings with a higher cost of entry or pay walls. Free feels really dirty to me and I avoid all things free as I consider them to often come bundled with ulterior motives. In the USA, when you buy stuff you activate certain consumer protection laws (Federal and Local), which I also like to have on my side.

If someone gave me a free hotdog I would toss money in the tip jar. I despise free.
And K9 Web Protection. Initially and still designed to protect children but in their effort to guard children, they have created one of the best security programs out there for anyone in general.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018

But you keep slamming Emsisoft for their supposedly high prices.

nickoftime

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
While I still love Emsisoft, that sounds like a justification (=excuse) for removing the more advanced features. I've heard quite a few times "almost none of our users use this...". I still use it, but if they keep removing EAM features and dumbing down the UI, only option left would be to replace it.

Unless "over 60" equals stupid for Emsisoft?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

While I still love Emsisoft, that sounds like a justification (=excuse) for removing the more advanced features. I've heard quite a few times "almost none of our users use this...". I still use it, but if they keep removing EAM features and dumbing down the UI, only option left would be to replace it.

Unless "over 60" equals stupid for Emsisoft?

The advanced setting removal was a tragedy.

I just tested Emsisoft. I like the clean interface and reasonably lightweight feel. It does slow shutdown and bootup slightly, even on a Ryzen w/1070Ti. Previous versions used to trigger a lot with the BB and popup a user decision box A LOT (like for every game). The problem is, IMO this relies too much on user decision if something is good/bad and isn't really much better than UAC itself. What I noticed with the latest version is it doesn't seem to popup at all anymore. So I wonder if they tweaked it down even more or they improved it in some way.

I still think - after testing, there are better and cheaper solutions out there. But I respect what they are doing, their privacy stance, use of 443 on all communications and their decentralized development. All good things!

PS: Just because I am attracted to elite and boutique offerings doesn't mean I think they are worth it, or that I would buy them in every case. They have to offer significant advances in some areas for me. I just don't think that Emsisoft, even being a boutique offers much more than competing solutions. Heck, Bullguard now uses NIMBUS from Bit Defender (as of last patch, significantly improving Bullguard detection rates), Bullguard has a real firewall, just as strong privacy and is 80% less costly than Emsisoft for multiple devices.

nickoftime

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
ForgottenSeer 58943 said:
Bullguard has a real firewall, just as strong privacy and is 80% less costly than Emsisoft for multiple devices.

I'll check Bullguard out, but where are you getting "80% less"? I just checked and Bullguard is about twice the price of EAM:

BullGuard Internet Security (1-year, 3-devices): 59.95 €
Emsisoft Anti-Malware (1-year, 3-devices): 29.92 €
BullGuard Internet Security (1-year, 5-devices): 83.95 €
Emsisoft Anti-Malware (1-year, 5-devices): 49.88 €

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'll check Bullguard out, but where are you getting "80% less"? I just checked and Bullguard is about twice the price of EAM:

BullGuard Internet Security (1-year, 3-devices): 59.95 €
Emsisoft Anti-Malware (1-year, 3-devices): 29.92 €
BullGuard Internet Security (1-year, 5-devices): 83.95 €
Emsisoft Anti-Malware (1-year, 5-devices): 49.88 €

I always get discount codes in email. I think I have both a 75% and 80% off one. PM me and I will share it.

D

Deleted member 178

ForgottenSeer 58943 said:
is 80% less costly than Emsisoft for multiple devices.
where are you getting "80% less"? I just checked and Bullguard is about twice the price of EAM:

I always get discount codes in email. I think I have both a 75% and 80% off one. PM me and I will share it.

yes because it is fair to compare the normal price of a soft with the discounted price of another...
"hey i use freeware , it is cheaper than a paid one, shame on the paid one"... seriously...

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

yes because it is fair to compare the normal price of a soft with the discounted price of another...
"hey i use freeware , it is cheaper than a paid one, shame on the paid one"... seriously...

It is an extremely fair way compare. One should consider the basic price of anything a 'suggested retail price' and in doing that realize that nobody compares anything based on SRP. It's based on street pricing. If an ASUS router is $249.99 at Best Buy, and $179.99 at Amazon why would it be unfair to compare?

Bullguard makes no secret of it's regular, routine discounts and the fact that their base price is really just an SRP that can be ignored.

60% off here;
BullGuard Sale

Here's $25 for 10 devices.
https://shop.bullguard.com/1316/surl-kbjo8hBsXk

D

Deleted member 178

It is an extremely fair way compare. One should consider the basic price of anything a 'suggested retail price' and in doing that realize that nobody compares anything based on SRP. It's based on street pricing. If an ASUS router is $249.99 at Best Buy, and $179.99 at Amazon why would it be unfair to compare?

Bullguard makes no secret of it's regular, routine discounts and the fact that their base price is really just an SRP that can be ignored.

60% off here;
BullGuard Sale

Here's $25 for 10 devices.
https://shop.bullguard.com/1316/surl-kbjo8hBsXk

it is unfair, because the price you got from the code isn't made public for everyone to get, to be fair the price (with 80% rebate included) should be the base price on their site when you click "buy".

Emsisoft price is their announced base price on their site when you click "buy".
You can only compare it with the Bullguard price on Bullguard's site when you click "buy" (without coupons).

of course, the coupons make it cheaper but doesn't mean EAM (or whatever product) is horribly expensive.

You can spend thousands of dollars on some UTM and complain for 10-20$ difference on a software...come on Sly...
and you know you could had cheaper prices for EAM, don't complain now, make you look biased and hypocrite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Weebarra

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015

Appreciate the honesty. +1 in my book.

Reactions: Weebarra
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

My point stands. Any arguing is pointless and merely serve as an opportunity for your useless personal attacks. I'm aware of the best Emsisoft discount and have access to them through a vendor (50% @ 3 years, on renewal).

emsisd.png

Reactions: motox781
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.