Emsisoft or NOD32

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 59295
  • Start date

Emsisoft or NOD32?

• Total voters
F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
Hey guys, I really can't decide I've had both running on my system and I think NOD just had the age for performance impact over Emsisoft.

The reason I ask this question is because I am running on an aging gaming PC that definitely needs an upgrade however while playing ARK I had some time outs with my server while running WD and then decided to trial both of the above. Both made it so that I could connect to my server without a problem and reduced the loading time of the MODs compared to WD. It was going to be Emsisoft because they had a privacy blocking feature but since trialing their software they have removed that feature.

I am not someone that has infection issues (touch wood, never said never) NOD32 and Emsisoft are tied with the length of time they've been on my machines in the past, I only removed NOD32 because of the Windows 10 mess and then Emsisoft because I disagreed with the removal of the loyality bonus. Now in the cold light of day I don't mind which I end up going with. Edging towards NOD as it did seem to be even more efficent.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
If you are gaming, neither should have a large impact on performance. Games don't load many scannable things from the filesystem.

With NOD32 remember to turn off all of the automatic scans they do -- startup scan, idle scan, rescanning after software update, etc. All of those can ironically cause more slowdowns.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Idle scan is turned off by default, startup scan can cause a bit of slowdowns after booting up specially for systems with low config. I don't understand why this option still exist. But what is rescanning after software update! Never heard of it tbh.
I'm glad idle is off by default. Startup scan doesn't even skip when you are on battery.... I lost 25% charge on an airplane before I realized what was going on.

In this day and age startup and early boot scans are kind of overkill -- secure boot and Windows changes have made it very difficult to sneak on a rootkit that would evade itself from your AV if it loaded first. That I think was the original intention.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Thread author
What are your primary needs?
1- light footprints
2- security

If 1, NOD32, is slightly better.
If 2, then Emsisoft, not for signatures (both are quite close), but emsi BB is way more mature than ESET HIPS (which honestly is subpar).

F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
Thanks guys for your feed back will probably be NOD after your votes and consideration. I thought it was strange too that an AV should be scanning the gaming files when loading into ARK but when I was running just WD it definitely was crunching my HDD and doing something.

Seems strange to say that protection isn't the highest priority for my security but considering I've not had Emsisoft do anything for 3 years and used WD for about a year now and it hasn't needed to do anything while I want the safe guard because you never know performance at this current time is more of a benefit to me.

I've also put a ticket into their supports repectfully asking questions about the software to see how has the fastest reponse time. Not time waster questions but thought it would be a good way of making the final decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

amir 957

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Thanks guys for your feed back will probably be NOD after your votes and consideration. I thought it was strange too that an AV should be scanning the gaming files when loading into ARK but when I was running just WD it definitely was crunching my HDD and doing something.

Seems strange to say that protection isn't the highest priority for my security but considering I've not had Emsisoft do anything for 3 years and used WD for about a year now and it hasn't needed to do anything while I want the safe guard because you never know performance at this current time is more of a benefit to me.

I've also put a ticket into their supports repectfully asking questions about the software to see how has the fastest reponse time. Not time waster questions but thought it would be a good way of making the final decision.
In term of Support, Emsisoft provides a high class and friendly support and really really fast

F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
Something that was bugging me after putting this thread up and that was is it WD causing the issue with Ark when loading in because as @MacDefender said games shouldn't be loading anything scannable. That said though I uninstalled my trial of Emsisoft just to see and bang the problem was there again so I added my steam folder to the exclusions for WD then it loaded in without an issue. It must be something to do with mods or something WD seems to just have a hard time scanning them or takes up resources doing it.

Reactions: DDE_Server

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Something that was bugging me after putting this thread up and that was is it WD causing the issue with Ark when loading in because as @MacDefender said games shouldn't be loading anything scannable. That said though I uninstalled my trial of Emsisoft just to see and bang the problem was there again so I added my steam folder to the exclusions for WD then it loaded in without an issue. It must be something to do with mods or something WD seems to just have a hard time scanning them or takes up resources doing it.
Interesting! What's the game and mod?

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
The web filter is great, but it does man in the middle https, so it’s not for everyone.
ESET's web filtering also attaches at the network transport layer and is one of the less light components. On ultra low voltage chips like on the Surface Pro, in battery saver mode network transfers will become CPU bound and it reduces my throughout from 600 to 400mbps.

Emsisoft does not use protocol level network filtering and instead provides web protection via a browser plugin.

The more intrusive form of network filtering does tend to result in more detections of malware attempting to get a second stage payload so it does have some protective benefits.... You can see cases in the malware hub where that is the layer that detects a threat. However IMO this is also super easy to defeat just by having malware download an encrypted second stage payload instead of relying on HTTPS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.