Emsisoft Public Beta V6

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Hi everyone,

We want to invite you to join the public beta test of Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0.

What is new?

New multi-core optimized scan engine
The biggest change in Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a completely new and multi-core optimized scanning engine. As a result Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 is on average 450% faster than Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.1 when it comes to on-demand scans!

Direct disk access scan mode
The new scan engine features a special direct disk access mode. Using this direct disk access mode we are able to circumvent and detect all currently active file based rootkits.

Advanced caching mechanisms
Another feature of the new scan engine is an advanced caching mechanism. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is able to learn from the files on your system, recognizing files that are trustworthy and skipping them in future scans if they haven't changed. Due to this the performance impact of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware File Guard has been greatly reduced.

Drastically improved boot times
Due to several optimizations we made, we were able to drastically reduce the impact Emsisoft Anti-Malware has on the boot process.

Internal rating system to further reduce false positives on well known files
Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 uses the information it gathers from various sources including the advanced cache to recognize and prevent false positives.

Entirely new license system
Quite a few of our customers thought the account based licensing system was a bit inconvenient. We took this criticism as motivation to switch Emsisoft Anti-Malware (and later all other Emsisoft products) over to a completely new key based licensing scheme. As a result you no longer need a special account to use Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Another feature of the new licensing scheme is a unique referral program that allows users to obtain or extend licenses by referring our products to friends and family.

As well as dozens of other small changes ...

Known issues:

The direct disk access is incompatible to striped RAIDs. This is a limitation that will exist in the release version as well due to the missing documentation of on disk RAID formats.
Some users reported freezes when their system returns from standby or hibernation. So far we were not able to reproduce and verify this problem in house. If you are affected by it and want to help us fixing it, please drop me a mail.

Download:

You can download the full Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 Beta setup here:
http://tmp.emsisoft.com/a2/EmsisoftA...6BetaSetup.exe

Be aware that you can't use this setup to upgrade an already existing Emsisoft Anti-Malware version on your system. If you have Emsisoft Anti-Malware already installed you will have to remove it completely which will also delete all your rules and settings. If you don't want to loose your settings you will have to wait until we enable the upgrade via beta online update in a few days.

During installation you will notice that Emsisoft Anti-Malware now asks for a license key instead of a user account. You can find this license key in the Emsisoft Customer Center (choose "Manage Licenses" on the left).

Last but not least: All trial licenses have been reset and we will most likely reset them again during and after the beta test to make sure you can participate in the public test without a paid license.

Screenshots:

The new custom scan dialog with thew new Rootkit scan as well as some additional new scan options:
http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/screensho...816_205629.png

Some people may notice the lack of horses in the GUI. Well, we removed them:
http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/screensho...816_210457.png

The rootkit scan is able to detect MBR and file based malware. In this example ZeroAccess but TDL is covered as well:
http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/screensho...816_210428.png

Two examples for the dozens of usability improvements we implemented. In general whenever you delete something you now get a confirmation dialog:
http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/screensho...816_205714.png

Whenever there are settings you can edit like extension lists you can reset them to their defaults:
http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/screensho...816_205809.png

When will the final version be out?

This greatly depends on the feedback and number of bug reports we receive. Our goal is to deliver a stable product and not to meet a deadline. If no more major issues are found during the public test phase you can expect a release within the next 1 or 2 months though.

We want your feedback!

Have you started or found a thread about EAM 6.0 in a different forum? Do you like or dislike a specific change? Do you have questions about one of the new features of EAM 6.0? Are you a Youtube or any other kind of reviewer and made a review? Don't keep them to yourself. Share them with us! Either by simply replying here or via mail.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=305611 Original Link

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
It's definitely faster. Tried it during the closed beta... it was incredible how big the difference was in scan times.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Thinking of giving it another whirl but im guessing the security action bug is still present, Would also need a decent firewall to go along side with it

D

Deleted member 178

it is a small one, i made a topic here about it, just turn off-on the file shield when it appears. not a big deal.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
darkelixa said:
Still its a bug they claim to fix by Version 6

There was a post made yesterday on Wilders by Fabian Wosar [Emsisoft developer] that the action center issue has been identified and a fix should be available within the next 48 hours through online update - EAM 6.0 Public Beta Thread [post #61]

Hope it's a good news for you :)

D

Deleted member 178

No it is a bad news because he bought already 3 NIS licenses :D

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
With the change of the licensing system - just a license key [not linked to an email] - has there been any news on whether the license would still be for up to 3 PCs?

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
I have a three license key, i think it knows from your mac address what the pc is and if it has changed from the last install. I liked the old login system better

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 beta is now available for upgrade through the Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.1 beta update channel.

Changes from 6.0.0.25 to 6.0.0.28:

You can now set an "action on scan end" directly at the scan selection.
Fixed a problem with detection name conversion for IKARUS detections.
Fixed a possible heap corruption when detecting malware in archives.
Fixed a problem where the autorun key got deleted during update.
Fixed a problem that caused application rules and white listing entries from not working correctly.
Added a notification message if your license has been changed server side.
Fixed a problem with the File Guard scanning files on network shares.
Fixed a possible crash during update if a granted license was extended server side.
Fixed a synchronisation issue that caused the service to crash during certain realtime protection events.
Fixed a problem that caused news updates to be displayed every update.
Scan cache data should now always be saved correctly during service shutdown.
Added a confirmation dialog in case the user tries to abort the EAM Wizard before it has been completed successfully at least once.
A few tweaks to the new scanning animations.

Link

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Downloaded and installed, it's up to 6.0.0.30 now.

emsisoftantimalwarev6up.jpg

What Emsisoft could have done is implement the Export/Import settings functionality [Configuration : General tab] in 5.1.x.xx, instead of 6.0, so that you don't have to work out your application rules again :(.

eamv60betaconfiguration.png

emsisoftantimalwarev6ex.jpg

It is really fast to load, so it seems the claims about dramatic performance improvements are true, and I wouldn't expect else from a company with strong ethics and integrity.

I can't wait for the official release - such a long list of welcome new features and improvements should make EAM even better and appeal to a wider market, not just the Emsisoft connoisseurs [of which, to my delight, there are quite a few @ MT ;)].

D

Deleted member 178

darkelixa said:
Hows the security action centre bug going? Have they fixed that?

not your problem anymore , you use NIS :D btw it seems fixed.

i cant live without EAM now i love the cloud-based BB

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Action Center bug
It happened intermittently couple of times yesterday, once while EAM was downloading updates [skipped the update interval as I was running another OS at the time], but I haven't experienced it since.

Scan Speed Improvement
Just ran a Deep Scan, the improvement in scan speed is amazing - the scan took 1h : 5 min : 54 sec for 755746 files, a really fast scan considering EAM 5.1.x.xx would take over 3h : 50 min to complete. So the claims of up to 450% faster scans seem to be true. And the best part is that this was the very first scan, according to the Emsisoft developers the subsequent scans should be even faster.

Resource Usage
CPU usage for EAM would vary a lot during the scan - between 2% and 67% for the most of the scan, but peaking at 95% at times.

eamv60betaresourcemonit.png

Detections
In terms of detections, I got the following:

eamv60betadetectionsuvgy.png

The "trojan" is from National Instruments Electronics Workbench, I've uploaded it to VT and got 12/44 [27.3%]

sigcheck:
publisher....: National Instruments
copyright....: Copyright (c)2007 National Instruments Corp.
product......: NI Circuit Design Suite 10.0
description..: NI Circuit Design Suite 10.0
original name: Autorun.exe
internal name: Autorun
file version.: 10.0.0.0
comments.....: n/a
signers......: -
signing date.: -
verified.....: Unsigned

Quarantine
Quarantining the threats caused EAM to crash.

eamv60betaresourcemonit.png

Looking at the Quarantine after that, only 1 file was moved to it. I did an on-demand scan for PCFlankLeakTest.exe and it reported no issues? On the second scan it reported a detection again and I moved it to Quarantine. I submitted both files to Emsisoft and expect to see what the turnaround in rectifying FPs would be.

Reputation data to avoid multiple scans of known good files?
Interestingly, during the scan [but way after this location was scanned] I got a popup to submit ... WebRoot SecureAnywhere BETA installer - EAM generating reputation data as it is building the cache?

eamv60betasubmitfile.png

Very happy with the BETA so far, go get them Emsisoft!

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
darkelixa said:
Hows the security action centre bug going? Have they fixed that?

not your problem anymore , you use NIS :D btw it seems fixed.

i cant live without EAM now i love the cloud-based BB

Being Different and giving F secure ago:)

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Of some concern is the insistence to only scan Program Files (x86), I would have expected Program Files to be included too:

Emsisoft Anti-Malware - Version 6.0
Scan settings:

Scan type: Smart Scan
Objects: Memory, Traces, C:\Windows\, C:\Program Files (x86)\
Scan archives: Off
ADS Scan: On
Scanned 572215
Found 0
Scan time: 0:23:24

But the speed... outstanding improvement!

And the new scan animation, very business-like:

eamv60betascananimation.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.