Advice Request Emsisoft subscription is expiring - Renew or go another way?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

how about gdata
Whats very important to me is a top notch behavior blocker
It's best similiar alternative to go with instead of Emsisoft. I'd pick G Data over Emsisoft this year and also personally rate it's BB more proactive than Emsisoft's, and still, there is no better suggestion as trialing first new security software before you open your wallet.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
If the intention is to keep a signature based approach, there maybe discounts available for the same product at some extent, or, maybe something on ebay, "with conditions",

I have to admit that Emsisoft is quite nice, but I changed my security design a while ago, to not rely on anything signatures based,

Lately, I am moving my security to specific hardware, with specific projects, I will soon make this on my network:

stamparm/maltrail

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f53643965716f612e706e67

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
Thanks for the heads up about KFA. Bitdefender is a good alternative, although resource heavy. From my experience, Emsisoft was extremely light for the protection it provided. I'd be conflicted with my decision too. From past experience, Norton is very light as well, but it tended to bog down the longer it was on my system. It's hard to say if you should stick with Emsisoft or switch, which is why I always recommend trials first. Different machines react differently to different software.

Thanks i remember trying it when it first came out and at that time it didn't offer a BB just definitions. Now it seems like it does. Definitely worth a try.

So my favorite AV expires in less than a month (emsisoft) and i'm trying to think on whether i'm going to renew or not. I love emsisoft what i don't love so much is its probably the only av product i don't ever see good deals for. I see great deals for kaspersky, Trend Micro, bitdefender (family pack can't be beat), eset, & others. On top of that, if i want, i get get norton for free through my ISP. Norton is freakn buggy at hell but has probably some of the best definitions. I also have found bitdefender to be buggy (and a little heavy).

Avast free has great protection & is lightweight but it makes you feel like you're selling your soul. Avast hasn't been know to be privacy friendly and i can tell you from experience no matter how much they tell you the data they sell is anonymous i can be deanonymized pretty easily for someone that gets familiar with the data.

So i'm kind of at a loss what to do here. If emsisoft was the same price as everything else that would be definitely the direction i would. A license for emsisoft for me will be ~$50. Everything else i can get for around ~$20.

Whats very important to me is a top notch behavior blocker (which is one of the reasons i love emsisoft).

Emsisoft offers good discounts during certain holidays.

The only equivalent alternative to Emsisoft is G DATA. That's it.

D

Deleted member 178

If you like Emsisoft but don't have the cash, you can try a deal with their sales team. it sometimes works especially for long time customers.
if they wont give you more, use a free AV until Black Friday, last time they gave 40% discounts.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Buy a license for Kaspersky IS on ebay. You should be able to get a year license for about $5. If you buy for KIS 2018, it will be good also for KIS 2019.
Many testers recommend KIS because of its good performance against zero-days.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Be careful with this option. I once purchased an ESET 1-year license from third-party for $3 and it ended up being a 365 day "trial" that couldn't be reactivated. I'd imagine these keys are often blacklisted by the vendors as well.
I bought a KIS license twice on ebay. Yes, there can be problems with reactivating. Keep in mind that you might need to buy another license for reactivation. But at 3 - 5 dollars, it's still very much worth it, for people who don't reinstall Windows every weekend lol.

TheErzengel

Level 2
Verified
Dec 21, 2012
I think I would go for free software in what I save for Emsisoft. They are excellent in EVERYTHING.

Black friday?

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
If you are not having any issues with Emsisoft why not stick with them. One of the best AV's going with support that is close to best in business. Plus with every year you buy you get a larger discount.

Peter Phillie

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2018
I suggest that you switch to another anti-virus. For me, my best and trusted Anti-Virus is Norton. I love its features and the quality malware removal tool performance. Also, I like its' web protection against malware websites and downloads. So, try this AV on your pc to know and test its' performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.