eMule or IDM? What's the difference..etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Hello,

I'd like to ask if somebody here is using eMule? I heard about this from a friend that he is using such for downloading movies and stuff. I thought that IDM is the best there is out there because of the speed to name one good characteristic it has but I am curious about eMule. Have used DAP(free), FDM(freedownloadmanager), Orbit, FlashGet, JDownloader before but have not used eMule yet. May I ask some questions form you guys?

What are the differences of the two?

Which is better to be used to download movies, mp3's and stuff like eBooks? (IDM or eMule)

Can you guys (users of eMule and IDM) share some insights/ideas of their usage of the two applications?

Thank you and will wait for ideas/insights from you guys :)

D

Deleted member 178

Emule is a P2P software where IDM is used mostly to accelerate downloads, nothing common between both of them.

you can read my IDM review here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Review-Internet-Download-Manager-v6

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks for the reply there Umbra :)

Can it be possible for IDM to download torrents or use IDM for Bittorrent? FDM --Freedownloadmanager has capability for Bittorrent but when I installed a trial version of IDM ver6.15 I was surprised that it has not. IDM though has made an impression on me on speed. Wow on a flaky dial-up I was able to download a 12mb / 17mb file for >35min. With FDM that will usually take an hour or more.

Might you know some tricks to use IDM for Bittorrent?

On eMule, I see in Techsupportalert(Gizmo) that it's not in the top 3. I see uTorrent, qBittorrent, Deluge, BitTorrent etc and Vuze, Tixati, BitComet on clients. On you guys what free Bittorrent would you go for and maybe you can share some experiences about it if you may.

I am currently checking out settings in the firewall for it for Outpost and Comodo as I am writing this and I also see that you'd have to allow incoming/outgoing TCP/UDP for it(uTorrent). I personally do not often use torrents but I now have prepared a partition wherein I wanna try and learn from using it.

Can you guys give some inputs --security wise on the use of Bittorrent (firewall setting perhaps or AV settings). Can it be sandboxed with SBIE? Any inouts will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks and will wait for your inputs ;)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you are looking for a complete download manager that also support torrents and online video sites then give BitComet a try.

If you just want a simple torrent downloader without bloat, then I recommend qBittorrent, Tixati or Transmission-Qt.

You can use advanced products to sandbox or provide protection for your torrent downloader but it is not required if you can tell the difference between file extensions. Just never run any executable files downloaded from unknown sources. If you do want to check to see if an executable file is safe then first scan it with VirusTotal and then run it in Sandboxie to see what it does. If you don't know the difference between file extensions and need to setup additional protection for you torrent downloader or download manager then Sandboxie would be the best option. I'm sure someone around here could guide you with the configuration needed.

Check out this thread about VirusTotal Scanners- http://malwaretips.com/Thread-VirusTotal-Scanner-tool-download

For a personal firewall for downloading torrents, I recommend disable third-party firewall and use Windows Firewall while downloading files. All third-party firewalls will make your download speeds slower. You can always re-enable your third-party firewall after your downloads complete.

Windows Firewall is enough when just downloading torrents, but if you continue to browse the web and download other files from the web you could put yourself in a position to get an infection. In that case, you may need to use a third-party firewall while downloading and sacrifice a little download speed for security. There are many members here who use different third-party firewalls and could help guide you.

Most AV's will work just fine on default settings when using torrent downloaders or download managers. Always keep real-time protection enabled at all times.

Enjoy!!:D

D

Deleted member 178

Raul90 said:
Can it be possible for IDM to download torrents or use IDM for Bittorrent?
Might you know some tricks to use IDM for Bittorrent?

nope. they are different softwares for differents purposes. For torrents you must use torrent's client apps like utorrents, bittorrent, etc...

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks guys for the explanation. I thought there would be some kind of a workaround for IDM to download files from torrent as in FDM but okay I'll try qBitorrent / Tixati.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.