Serious Discussion End-of-Lifecycle Support

gorblimey

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
G'day all, Dan. I've got a small problem, getting closer by the day, and I hope Dan can remediate it.

Most software comes with non-compulsory upgrade options, normally tied to annual or "new version" premiums. I find this very reasonable as it enables me to find a version which meets my needs and then I stop upgrading. This also ties in with the ageing of my current OS, Win7 x64 SP1. I have a lot of "current-ish" applications where I have stopped upgrading simply because the upgrades do not provide functionality I can use, or need. (Actually, my OS is in this category as well: Microsoft ceased providing appropriate functionality.)

Not being rude or anything, but Cyberlock has reached this state. The original premise was, and still is, "If it's not on the whitelist, it won't run." OTOH, needed technology (.NET) upgrades will not run on my OS. I've looked. I made W2K Pro last for decades by simply downloading vcredists which I still do now, my current is 14.38.33130. But I cannot upgrade my dotNET. v8.1 won't won't fit as far as I can understand M$ documentation.

I am not the only Win7 neanderthal here. We simply want to keep an OS that does what we want, when we want, how we want, nothing less and nothing more. Not like a certain Microsoft (Bad)XPerience.

Dan, you could help us neanderthals a lot, by forgoing the compulsory Christmas Upgrade. I cannot ask you to cease upgrading the dotNET requirement, that would be stupid. But if you could make CL upgrades non-compulsory, that would be very helpful. I won't ask you to cease charging us, you need to pay bills as much as I do, and the fact is that CL will be working properly at least up to the end of this century, even with no upgrades. Your technology is future-proof.

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I doubt that Dan wants to create more work for himself for people that use an obsolete OS. Refusing to update an program eventually creates problems, some being day to day operation and some being security. I don't think he wants Cyberlock to get a bad rep from the few who won't update.

gorblimey

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
What the hell is that? 🤔 Can't you simply continue to use an older version that's compatible with W7?
No. Most people won't ever notice the compulsory Christmas upgrade because they upgrade all the time, and are reasonably current at Christmas/New Year. But Luddites (research it!) like me don't, so we have to be reminded.

I doubt that Dan wants to create more work for himself for people that use an obsolete OS.
Nobody is asking Dan to do more work. And I have made it plain that I for one would happily keep paying the annual on an "obsolete" edition which -- Surprise!!!!!! -- still works as advertised due to good engineering in the first place.

I have lots of software which has not been upgraded in over 20 years. They still work perfectly. And I upgrade my browser as soon as one is available, because the author is pushing faeces uphill trying to keep up with the latest scripting atrocities. Further, CL isn't the only anti-malware in place. I'll leave it to other people to work out how a good firewall can be considered as anti-malware. And I have a Windows version of SUDO :)

A bit of perspective to finish: Remember CryptoPrevent? I had it when it was very new. And it did work, I watched it happen on my screen. And then it became bloatware, difficult to work with. Just as VoodooShield appeared!

Reactions: oldschool

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
CyberLock works great with Windows 7. The issue is getting .net 4.6.2 to install on Windows 7, I cannot believe that MS has not fixed this issue yet because it affects tons of software, but either way it is an easy fix.

https://cyberlock.global/Download/.net 4.6.2 Windows 7 Install.zip

1) Download and extract the 4 files in the above archive
2) Install Windows6.1-KB3033929-x64.msu and reboot the computer
3) Follow the instructions in the How to video.webm. You do not need to download the MicRooCerAut2011_2011_03_22.crt (at 1:48 in the video), it is included in the 4 files.
4) Install ndp462-kb3151800-x86-x64-allos-enu.exe
5) Install CyberLock

BTW, we do have to ensure users are running somewhat recent versions of our software, otherwise we would never be able to upgrade our servers.

gorblimey

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
... The issue is getting .net 4.6.2 to install on Windows 7 ...
OK, maybe my bad on the .NET, I thought you were on 4.8 already :( . I have 4.8 on my box so I guess I'm good for a couple of weeks months years yet :)

BTW, we do have to ensure users are running somewhat recent versions of our software, otherwise we would never be able to upgrade our servers.

Yeah, I do see that, but if it ever got to that stage I'd be treating it like my current email client (Gammadyne Clyton), which I keep the last download and never bother their servers again: the product as I last updated about 5 years ago does everything I want including multiple mail servers. If Gammadyne wants an annual, I'd be happy to pay it as the product is simply that good. (BTW, you may want to include Gammadyne in your email client list ;) that I saw in the main discussion.)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.