Endurance Test: Do security packages constantly generate false alarms?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
You trust your installed security solution: when its alarm goes off, your system is at risk – or was it a false alarm after all? Whether it is for private users or in companies – false positives should not occur. In a 14-month endurance test, AV-TEST evaluated which protection solutions are prone to upset the user for no reason, and which ones are totally reliable.

More details - Endurance Test: Do security packages constantly generate false alarms?

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I will take false positives any day as long as the soft protects my system.

The whole "false" positive thing is only applicable to n00bs -- and that is the basis upon which vendors design their softs. This is why they use default settings that almost guarantees infection sooner or later...

Last edited by a moderator:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
H- Good point. Consider a legitimate file packed in a certain way that also has a valid certificate from a second level software company:

If an AV blocks the file due to the way it is packed it would be considered a FP and the product would be mocked. On the other hand if an Anti-exe blocks that same file because the certificate wasn't on their Trusted Vendors list it would be accepted and the product revered.

Guess FP's are just a matter of one's viewpoint.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I will take false positives any day as long as the soft protects my system.

The whole "false" positive thing is only applicable to n00bs -- and that is the basis upon which vendors design their softs. This is why they use default settings that almost guarantees infection sooner or later...
100 Times this!

I mean I don't mind have 5 FP in a month vs 5 infections in a month due to the package being FP friendly.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The understanding of False Positive must have proper supervision with an experience user, since many novice users may only kill the legitimate program instead to accept it.

Well the prevalence of the program goes on controversial packing or certificates from suspicious source.

So FP is still a minor factor to make user convince to change another product.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.