Epic Privacy Browser

7sean68

Level 1
May 12, 2017
first, it is not a VPN. It's just a proxy
second, I used it. It's good. It has some issues:
  1. it is chromium based it uses much memory
  2. it is not up-to-date with chromium so it may have some issues not resolved yet
  3. although it is chromium, it doesn't support chrome extensions
I would recommend a VPN with private browsing in any browser,
or if you are more concerned about anonymity and privacy than performance, I would recommend tor.

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
first, it is not a VPN. It's just a proxy
second, I used it. It's good. It has some issues:
  1. it is chromium based it uses much memory
  2. it is not up-to-date with chromium so it may have some issues not resolved yet
  3. although it is chromium, it doesn't support chrome extensions
I would recommend a VPN with private browsing in any browser,
or if you are more concerned about anonymity and privacy than performance, I would recommend tor.
What about opera?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Opera has great Chrome extension support but you have to download an addon to install chrome extension from the Chrome store. You can install them manually too.
Yes, a good example is Windscribe extension for Opera. Even with that extension you'll find many chrome extensions cannot be installed in Opera

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Yes, a good example is Windscribe extension for Opera. Even with that extension you'll find many chrome extensions cannot be installed in Opera
In my experience, every Chrome extension I've installed in Opera has worked fine. I've never installed Windscribe extension though. I use Windscribe system wide. I use this extension to install extensions directly from Chrome store to Opera: Download Chrome Extension

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, just tried Epic Privacy Browser and here are my findings

1) It's a fork of Chromium(open source) but not being audited. Anyway, who has officially audited each and every line of codes in open source programs like Chromium, Firefox, LibreOffice etc.?
2) It uses ENCRYPTED proxy which is faster than if I don't use it
3) No DNS leakage. However, it leaks your IP address even with encrypted proxy turned on
4) It has its own web store but only a handful of extensions. Brave has no web store for now.
5) It's fast and you can access the chrome flags. No Appcontainer flag. Brave browser don't allow access to its chrome flags.
6) Cannot add extensions besides those found in its web store. Brave browser does not support extensions for now.
7) It's now at v58.xxx....one version behind stable Chromium. Chromium forks(like Cent, Iridium, SRWare Iron etc) are similarly so. Brave keeps same pace as stable Chromium.
8) On start up it connects to Digital Ocean(ISP) in Netherlands. On startup Chromium and its forks(like Cent, Iridium, SRWare Iron etc) connect to Google whilst Brave connects to Amazon
9) Supports 3 plugins(Chromium PDF Viewer, Native Client and Adobe Flash Player) which can be disabled if you don't like them
10) Cannot change search engine unlike Brave
11) Very minimal user settings
12) It auto updates on its own
13) It's an Indian company

I would suggest using Adguard for Desktop and Sandboxie if you want to run Epic and Brave browsers

Not much info on the net. Found

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-privacy-and-security-focused-web-browsers-1672758270

Epic: A Privacy-Focused Web Browser - Slashdot

Last edited:

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
OK, just tried Epic Privacy Browser and here are my findings

1) It's a fork of Chromium(open source) but not being audited. Anyway, who has officially audited each and every line of codes in open source programs like Chromium, Firefox, LibreOffice etc.?
2) It uses ENCRYPTED proxy which is faster than if I don't use it
3) No DNS leakage. However, it leaks your IP address even with encrypted proxy turned on
4) It has its own web store but only a handful of extensions. Brave has no web store for now.
5) It's fast and you can access the chrome flags. No Appcontainer flag. Brave browser don't allow access to its chrome flags.
6) Cannot add extensions besides those found in its web store. Brave browser does not support extensions for now.
7) It's now at v58.xxx....one version behind stable Chromium. Chromium forks(like Cent, Iridium, SRWare Iron etc) are similarly so. Brave keeps same pace as stable Chromium.
8) On start up it connects to Digital Ocean(ISP) in Netherlands. On startup Chromium and its forks(like Cent, Iridium, SRWare Iron etc) connect to Google whilst Brave connects to Amazon
9) Supports 3 plugins(Chromium PDF Viewer, Native Client and Adobe Flash Player) which can be disabled if you don't like them
10) Cannot change search engine unlike Brave
11) Very minimal user settings
12) It auto updates on its own
13) It's an Indian company

I would suggest using Adguard for Desktop and Sandboxie if you want to run Epic and Brave browsers

Not much info on the net. Found

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-privacy-and-security-focused-web-browsers-1672758270

Epic: A Privacy-Focused Web Browser - Slashdot
I have tried Epic Browser but i havent tried Brave. Its very fast and decent on terms of security. I also find Opera very good cause it has a build in VPN.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront whats your opinion on Opera and its VPN?
I have used Opera for a short time just before the new neon version released. I was in search of privacy-oriented browsers then so testing of browsers was carried out with short duration only

Its VPN(or rather proxy) is by SurfEasy which itself doesn't look too good as a privacy-oriented VPN at That One Privacy Site's detailed comparison chart and the below link

That One Privacy Site | Detailed VPN Comparison Chart

SurfEasy review | TechRadar

It's a fast proxy but I don't think it has a Kill Switch like in VPN. Which means it'll expose your IP address if it fails. In addition, Opera was bought over by a Chinese company

If you are seriously in need of privacy-oriented Chromium-based browser(s) I would suggest the followings

1) Epic - Not supporting blocker/tracker extensions for the moment. One version behind stable Chromium browser release
2) Brave - Not supporting any extension for the moment. Keeps pace with the same version as the latest stable Chromium version
3) Iridium - Accepts many Chrome extensions like Chromium but one version behind stable Chromium browser release
4) Chromium - Uses same extensions as Chrome with latest stable release

Note :-

Iridium & Chromium phone home to Google upon start up. On start up Brave phones home to Amazon whilst Epic phones back to Digital Ocean(ISP) in Netherlands

Last edited:

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
@HarborFront,

thank you, but no thank you. i prefer non-chromium browsers but if i ever need a chromium clone i would prefer opera.

i am not looking for the offline installer of the epic browser. i was just wondering why they can not put up an offline installer on the epic website itself.

fyi, all i got from the link you posted is a 4kb exe file. definitely not an offline installer.

Reactions: Rengar

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront,

thank you, but no thank you. i prefer non-chromium browsers but if i ever need a chromium clone i would prefer opera.

i am not looking for the offline installer of the epic browser. i was just wondering why they can not put up an offline installer on the epic website itself.

fyi, all i got from the link you posted is a 4kb exe file. definitely not an offline installer.
Sorry, the link doesn't work.

However, offline installers are available on Epic's website, here

Get ready to Breathe Free! Thank you for downloading the Epic Privacy Browser

Reactions: Rengar

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.