Security News Equifax Website Redirected Users to Adware, Scam Sites

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Equifax is not having its best moments these days, and the much-maligned organization was again at the center of another cyber-security-related incident.

On Wednesday, and probably the previous days, Equifax's credit report assistance website (aa.econsumer.equifax.com) was caught redirecting users to all sort of nasty websites that were peddling fake Flash Player update files laced with adware, fake Android and iOS updates, and scam sites offering products at cheap prices.

Articles detailing the infection chain are available on the blog of security researcher Andy Abrams — who discovered the issue —, ArsTechnica, and SecurityWeek.

First reports blamed the incident on hackers taking over Equifax's website and adding redirects to the malware sites. Equifax vehemently denied that another hack happened, and the company later took down the site, just as a precaution.

TheJokerz

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
Talk about crap rolling down hill. Hopefully they can pull there crap together and make me feel some what secure with all my sensitive information... :mad:

Reactions: Weebarra and XhenEd

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Wooooo! That's not good. This is a PR nightmare in my opinion. I wouldn't want to be doing damage control after the company came out and denied this. They will have to backtrack their story or version of the story fast before it comes back and bites them really bad.

I agree with @TheJokerz ! Things are starting to go downhill rapidly fast.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Not sure why the Equifax stock price is up again. I would have bailed.

They still can't properly secure their website(s). A recent IRS contract was cancelled. Titanic numerous lawsuits. The US courts love to hand out massive decisions.

There are a couple of other companies that does the exact same thing as Equifax...they can be replaced, so unlikely for the government to step in and save them. This is not the banking sector, or vehicle manufacturing sector where a very large number of union workers are employed.

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.