Last updated
Apr 6, 2021
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
Microsoft Defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
- System Hardened with Hard_Configurator at Recommended Settings
- Microsoft Defender tweaked with ConfigureDefender set to High. (I'd go with Interactive but I prefer a more set and forget setup)
- FirewallHardening - Recommended H_C rules added
Periodic malware scanners
Emisoft Emergency Kit, HitmanPro
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chromium Edge
uBlock Origin (@Lenny_Fox 's tweaked Medium/Hard Mode) blocking 3p.
Secure DNS
Sky Shield (ISP)
Desktop VPN
Sophos VPN for working from home connection.
Password manager
Keepass 2
Maintenance tools
MacrumReflect Free (backups only after major updates) OneDrive backup of documents weekly.
File and Photo backup
Monthly backup to external drive and Occasional OneDrive Sync
System recovery
Backup disc image, updated every few months.
Risk factors
    • Working from home
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Computer hardware
Acer Aspire E15
Intel Core i3-400SU
Intel HD Graphics 4400
12 Gig DDR 11 RAM
1TB HDD
Notable changes
17.02.2021 - Changed email client from Windows Mail to ThunderbirdBack
06.04.2021 - Back to Windows Mail, SecurityNightmare's Maximum Exploit settings enabled. MD running in it's own Sandbox, Controlled Folder Access enabled. Removed BD Traffic Light and using HTTPS Everywhere in Strict mode.
13.05.2021 - Reverted back to my old favourite Comodo, Firefox and Thunderbird.
22.05.2021 - Returned to MD + H_C setup.
28.08.2021 - Back to using HitmanPro 2nd opinion scanner, using H_C 6 Beta and updated uBO tweak. Thinking about using CFA again and treating messages as more informative unless is breaks something.
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Thanks, I'll have a look ;)

P.S. Currenty reviewing anti-exploit tweaks. I stopped customizing that a little while ago and went back to default. What are you using these days?
I think I'm back at defaults for no reason in particular, or maybe I was troubleshooting something. I forget! But then again, I'm using built-in & Privacy Badger in Edge and compartmentalizing browsers. ;)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I still find myself slipping back to Comodo, Firefox Thunderbird combo. So decided to do some analysis. Thunderbird is compatible with H_C so that's fine as I prefer that for emails. Just faster and more secure than Windows 10. I think it's down to Edge bing search I'm not a fan of so I guess I should experiment with changing that.

The other thing is some slow system at times but not sure if that's down to system updates or running WD in it's own sandbox. It's probably fine for newer machines but at the end of the day I have an old laptop with a 4th generation i3 chip. I just can't afford a upgrade at the moment and what I would get around the £400-500 price mark isn't a great deal better than what I have. /Shrug, maybe after Christmas.

So more tweaking to be done and try WD again without running in it's own sandbox.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I still find myself slipping back to Comodo, Firefox Thunderbird combo. So decided to do some analysis. Thunderbird is compatible with H_C so that's fine as I prefer that for emails. Just faster and more secure than Windows 10. I think it's down to Edge bing search I'm not a fan of so I guess I should experiment with changing that.

The other thing is some slow system at times but not sure if that's down to system updates or running WD in it's own sandbox. It's probably fine for newer machines but at the end of the day I have an old laptop with a 4th generation i3 chip. I just can't afford a upgrade at the moment and what I would get around the £400-500 price mark isn't a great deal better than what I have. /Shrug, maybe after Christmas.

So more tweaking to be done and try WD again without running in it's own sandbox.
Also try running WD at default settings and check if it improves anything.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I'm sticking with Windows 10 mail. Thunderbird crashing when I go into preferences i TB. I was just experimenting a little with CIS and still had it installed but had same issue when CIS was disabled. Anyway, Win 10 Mail does enough for me really and I can still move things to folders etc.

Anyway, just more evidence that 3rd party isn't always the best solution.

1633627480369.png

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
As predicted.. one day I'll upgrade this old laptop.

1634244645969.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oldschool

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Have you ever considered turning your email address into a PWA? In Chromium all you have to do is create a shortcut and choose window. It's incredible.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Have you ever considered turning your email address into a PWA? In Chromium all you have to do is create a shortcut and choose window. It's incredible.
Interesting thought.
On running the Health check it's the processor and TPM that fails but I think I'll push for a new one in the new year.

1634494837649.png

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.