App Review eScan Internet Security 2023

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
eScan is a well-known Indian antivirus.
It uses the same recipe as its competitor Gdata: a partner engine (Bitdefender) and its own anti-malware engine.
The product's interface is rather "old-school", although eScan has tried to refresh it.
Let's see whether the product has improved or not.

Interface: 6/10

The interface remains old-school, even if it has been refreshed.
However, I don't find it clear. A novice can easily get lost, especially in the settings, because eScan doesn't explain!

The software is relatively heavy on the system. A bad point.

Protection:10/10 Web / Fake crack 1/1 Malware Pack : Remaining 19 out of 1019 - Infected

There's nothing to be said for pure detection, eScan is excellent and analyses the pack very quickly!
But that remains its only strong point on the pack. Even though eScan has a behavior blocker, it unfortunately lags behind.
eScan will try to defend itself, but will be unable to do anything about Powershell scripts that install malware and inject a process into memory.

Surprisingly, KVRT detects an eScan process as a Trojan! (KillAV... why? )

Result :
K7 : 0
NPE : 1
KVRT : 7 (with 1 file eScan - KillAV)
Emsisoft : 33

Recommand :Yes but only with careful, family-friendly surfing
System Clean : Infected

AlexCa

From Windows Repair Toolbox
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
I remember using the eScan Anti-Virus Toolkit (an on-demand scanner) and Combofix many years ago when I worked at a computer repair store. These two tools were the ones that did the "heavy-lifting" when it came to cleaning up the machines, and they did a pretty good job.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
eScan is a well-known Indian antivirus.
It uses the same recipe as its competitor Gdata: a partner engine (Bitdefender) and its own anti-malware engine.
The product's interface is rather "old-school", although eScan has tried to refresh it.
Let's see whether the product has improved or not.

Interface: 6/10

The interface remains old-school, even if it has been refreshed.
However, I don't find it clear. A novice can easily get lost, especially in the settings, because eScan doesn't explain!

The software is relatively heavy on the system. A bad point.

Protection:10/10 Web / Fake crack 1/1 Malware Pack : Remaining 19 out of 1019 - Infected

There's nothing to be said for pure detection, eScan is excellent and analyses the pack very quickly!
But that remains its only strong point on the pack. Even though eScan has a behavior blocker, it unfortunately lags behind.
eScan will try to defend itself, but will be unable to do anything about Powershell scripts that install malware and inject a process into memory.

Result :
K7 : 0
NPE : 1
KVRT : 7 (with 1 file eScan - KillAV)
Emsisoft : 33

Recommand :Yes but only with careful, family-friendly surfing
System Clean : Infected

Hi @Shadowra How are you ? If possible , a small request, please make a test between QUICK HEAL 2023 vs K7 ( 2 top Indian brands ) or only QUICK HEAL 2023 . Your previous K7 test is very good in fact all the test or compare video done by you is EXCELLENT! 👌 I love your testing videos. ❤️ Take your time & make it later no issue. Please 🙏

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
Hi @Shadowra, I was away for a while and just came across your test that I was eagerly waiting for; I appreciate you taking the time to review this product; it's one of my absolute favourites

Just a few points that I wanted to touch base on with respect to the test and perhaps you may want to look into when you test it the next time -

you may want to enable the code analyser under the Objects menu; that's eScan's heuristic scanner that examines suspicious codes and may aid in blocking powershell scripts that the other modules may miss

you can see below that it detected and stopped a malicious ps script that I tried to extract; it was detected immediately upon access by the file explorer

EaseUS_2023_11_18_23_31_38.png

One other point I wanted to bring up was you accidentally allowing access to a file that was detected by eScan as suspicious; it's at the 3:32 mark where you accidentally allowed the access

Lastly, eScan does have a fairly extensive knowledge base repository and it can be accessed by clicking the question mark icon at the top right of any eScan dialog box

1700331139858.png

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
shadowra said:
The program uses a tool named killproc which does exactly what it says using methods that are very much similar to "KillAV". The killproc is also heavily utilized by the eScan BB. This program is still effective protection wise but code-wise it's a frankenstein, there's layers and layers of code and a lot of legacy modules still run. It is surprisingly light despite this and is the last AV that still supports Windows 2000.
Basically eScan AV has some G-Data legacy code, some own modules, their own web filtering and real-time drivers coupled with BitDefender's ATC from 2017-2018 modified with their own ruleset (periodically updated) and complemented with a self-developed behavioral monitoring "add-on" that actually works in tandem with the BitDefender ATC/AVC. They also use the BitDefender scan engine SDK, but have their own signatures for certain threats and PUPs BitDefender does not detect.

Last edited:

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
you know this product often goes under the radar; maybe it has to do with the horrible gui and the placement of options that can be a little confusing initially

Like I keep saying, this is arguably the most underrated antivirus software ever
The company eScan is content with being focused on SMB and governmental/institutional contracts. They have a good deal of state/central government contracts in India and that is the mainstay of their business. If you see their website there's no home user section, they use say SOHO because they aren't really targeting home users anymore.

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
The company eScan is content with being focused on SMB and governmental/institutional contracts. They have a good deal of state/central government contracts in India and that is the mainstay of their business. If you see their website there's no home user section, they use say SOHO because they aren't really targeting home users anymore.
Correct. It's a hidden gem

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.