Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
List of changes and improvements

• For ESET Smart Security, ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 won't include the Parental control, unclear whether it will include the improved and more visible host-based intrusion prevention system.
  • Parental control
  • More "Cloud" computing: ThreatSense.Net will be steamlined to provide a layer of security
  • Improved and more visible host-based intrusion prevention
  • Improved behavioral analysis technology, which will actively monitor operating memory for any suspicious behavior
  • Improved SysRescue bootable disc
  • More modern, better looking and more intuitive interface (including update checker for program version, also the Standard/Advanced view options will be discontinued)
  • Gaming mode (different from ESET's current fullscreen mode)
  • Improvements, to areas such as: functions, analysis, updates, cleaning, performance and compatiblity (for example better support of Windows Live Mail 2011 and Microsoft Outlook 2010)

Roadmap
  • ESET hasn't provided any clear information on when to expect the Beta release,they only said that ESET 5 BETA will be released in the first half of 2011
  • The final release is to be expected in August 2011.

Screenshots
ijPB9c.png

ijTYn0.png

ijUav8.png

ijPZa2.png

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
This looks like it's going to be pretty cool, I like the interface changes too :)

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Wow the interface looks much nicer but what I am more exited about is testing this product when it releases. Especially the HIPS.

Thanks for sharing screenshots with us. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Link

v5 Coming Soon!

ESET NOD32® Antivirus 5 and ESET Smart Security® 5 combine our award-winning heuristics scanning technology with new functionality, including parental controls, HIPS and cloud-based file database for scanning optimization.

So they add the version 5 but its coming soon so let's just wait until they will release the beta version.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Very sexy UI. Eset is really in need for a major update.

I thought this comment was great from the Wilders thread "I disagree. Kids probably have a better idea about what is going on on the net than their parents. That's why the parental control is needed."

stevan4

Jun 2, 2011
I'm using beta on my desktop PC since it's release.
User interface is simple and great.
HIPS module also (it lacks basic predifined rules).
One more thing I like the most i it's adjustability.
But IMO Eset fall behind others, especially as a suite (Smart Security).
I think that in some areas even Avast! Free offer better protection.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The thing that I like about ESET now is that it has HIPS, and that when I tried it out it never slowed down my machine.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
ESET has had that rep for now slowing down a PC, Even tho in all my testing it will tend to use 40 - 50K real time there is no slow down at all, I hope they keep it that way.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its good if the HIPS in ESET have configure on the whitelist.

marsellus

May 24, 2011
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 and ESET Smart Security 5 Release Candidate
+ control and management of FireWire removable media
+ details about user license are displayed
+ small UI improvements

Fix: detection of MBR rootkits
Fix: cleaning of infected files
Fix: problems with uninstallation
Fix: reverting settings to defaults
Fix: filtering On-demand scan logs
Fix: ESS blocking VPN on Windows XP
Fix: Parental Control User account icons disappear
Fix: Visual bug in Outlook 2007/2010 ESET ribbon if Antispam Address books are disabled
Fix: Issues with Windows Live Mail 2011
Fix: Multiple notifications displayed after scan
Fix: SSL not working with Firefox and Opera after a computer restart
Fix: problem creating scan logs after scanning removable media
Fix: wrong display of HIPS pop-up windows in interactive mode
Fix: Other minor fixes
http://www.eset.eu/download/release-candidate

I

illumination

Nice review Jack! I just took this for a test drive the other day. It is incredibly light on the system, could not feel it there at all..
There are many features to tweak as well ;)

Lindows

Aug 19, 2011
Eset v5 HIPS in the RC version is kind of different to comodo......

It takes all the dections by itself.... No interaction. Maybe it will be better in the final version.......Also there is no performance impact on my pc. This is the fastest antivirus any one could get........

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From HIPS feature, interactive mode is not in the default settings. Since this mode will be appear many popups at every file.

Also when I watched a review for ESET 5 before the exemption to the popups (whitelist) were not configure and they came as blank (As far as I know).

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
NEWS : According to a post on ESET Facebook page , ESET will launch its new products >>> Tuesday,September 13, 2011
15pdo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.