Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
eset 7 or comodo internet security 6

which is better overall im using comodo but when ive used eset online scanner its found stuff on my pc comodo hasnt picked up

my current setup is CIS+MW bytes

but is it worth using eset SS 7 + MW bytes or ESET 7 NOD + comodo firewall and MWbytes ?

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
ESET as a company seems 100% trustworthy.
However the same cannot be said for comodo who have been known to delve into the darkside,issuing malware domains certificates etc.

comodo have a shady history and have a lot more to prove than ESET.

Thanks.

Kalimirro

Level 2
Verified
Nov 29, 2013
ESET Smart Security 7 is very easy to use, user friendly with no pop-up

Comodo is a free solution but need a geek user to deal with it

My choose go to ESET

Thank's

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Tough choice. I go for CIS because the offer a powerful free version, and it is right up there with ESET.
I am also very familiar with CIS, so that plays a role as well.
Furthermore, I recently tried ESET's stand-alone AV and my PC was a bit sluggish until I removed it.

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
In my opinion, I vote for CIS too, because I do love to tweak some configs of it.
I have used ESET for a period, it's good also in many points but removed it due to its slow scan speeds. If you do the magic-trick with CIS, you would have a powerful security suite for free!

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
For those that prefer CIS, I would like to bring this little thread to everybody's attention. Comodo doesn't only produce false positives like any other AV, but also false trusted negatives. That is, there are viruses out there that have signatures that Comodo will treat as trusted instead of unknown.

Of course this can be remedied easily by disabling or deleting and manually rebuilding the Tusted Vendor list feature in CIS. So, for those choosing Comodo, know you'll really have to tweak it for proper use.

As for ESET, I've been testing the AV and it seems very good. The database and heuristic engine are excellent, and I'm very pleased with the update system, updates are very quick and don't take up many resources.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I have had no FP's via their AV.
Firewall has messed with PC Hunter a bit, but it is Chinese software, so I don't sweat the alert.
I have CIS set up very stout.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Ive never had a single alert from CIS.If users want to download and install crapware all the time then they are their own worst enemies.

I hardly download anything.i simply install programs i know are trusted and my system is in a constant state.

If i decide to download something i thoroughly check it before it gets anywhere near my desktop.

As i say ive never come across any malware when browsing and i think that most of the big security companies use scare tactics to purchase their program.

I mean come on,is your average user going to come across hundreds of malwares.?

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Yes, the average user gets near hundreds of malware. Perhaps not on a single day, but surely every day the risk is there of finding one or two. Spam mail containing malware arrives to anyone, you don't have to ask for it. There's lots of malicious websites trying to infect people when they go do simple things such as just browsing or downloading stuff, watching videos or listening to music, playing games, etc. On all these activities you find malware makers trying to make their way into people's computers. Of course, if you are knowledgeable and careful, you can quickly identify where is safe to go and where is not, and you can avoid infection even without any real-time protection. But that is not the case with the average user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.