Status
Not open for further replies.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I know what you mean, though with any detection based security product malware might end up in system32, yet that alone doesn't mean that the security product doesn't protect from infections in system32.

Last edited:

Khairul

Level 2
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
For me ESET detection to an unknown Malware are depends on the setting, as ESET setting are so flexible that its suitable from SUPER DUPER NOOB to the EXPERT. So it depends on the setting.

Last edited:

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Actually, I had the exact same question, because there was some confusion. I contacted ESET support via Live Chat. The support representative was very helpful, and gave me this link. He said it was updated daily, and shows the effectiveness of the major security software against 0-day threats. It is fresh information, I got it yesterday.

A word of Warning. This site may contain links to malware. Be careful, and only view this one page. This site is for security researchers.

Site Description:
WARNING: This website is a resource for security professionals and enthusiasts.
CRDF Threat Center is a non-commercial community project. Our list can be used for free by anyone. Feel free to use it.

Website comparing the 0-day statistics: https://threatcenter.crdf.fr/?Stats
(Courtesy of an ESET support representative)

I would only stay on that page. The other pages contain links to malicious URL's (they are URL's to avoid). The purpose of this post was to answer your question.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Actually, I had the exact same question, because there was some confusion. I contacted ESET support via Live Chat. The support representative was very helpful, and gave me this link. He said it was updated daily, and shows the effectiveness of the major security software against 0-day threats. It is fresh information, I got it yesterday.

A word of Warning. This site may contain links to malware. Be careful, and only view this one page. This site is for security researchers.

Site Description:
WARNING: This website is a resource for security professionals and enthusiasts.
CRDF Threat Center is a non-commercial community project. Our list can be used for free by anyone. Feel free to use it.

I would only stay on that page. The other pages contain links to malicious URL's (they are URL's to avoid). The purpose of this post was to answer your question.
thanks for sharing

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
The support representative was very helpful, and gave me this link.

Actually what he told you was a load of crap.

This site in no way tests actual 0-day detection capabilities. CRDF uses VirusTotal for the scanning. Meaning this is a simple on demand signature scan, so behavior blocker, HIPS, reputation components (and more...) of modern AVs are left out of the picture.

Therefore a product could be at the bottom of that list and still protect you better than the one at the top. Do you really think Malwarebytes has better 0-day protection than Emsisoft, Kaspersky, F-Secure and the likes? This list is nothing if not misleading and should never be posted without a serious disclaimer (because nobody understands it correctly).

Hence the support representative wasn't helpful, he either deceived you or he was so incompetent that he didn't understand how CRDF works either.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Here is a statement from @Fabian Wosar on Wilders Security in regards to how CRDF really works:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...okay-with-other-av.344021/page-2#post-2210119

Reactions: Cehson
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.