Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi Everyone

With all the lovely issues concerning Windows 10 and security software, I've been trying ESET Smart Security and just wanted to know does it offer much protection, and is the software any good?

Tony :)

H

hjlbx

Hi Everyone

With all the lovely issues concerning Windows 10 and security software, I've been trying ESET Smart Security and just wanted to know does it offer much protection, and is the software any good?

Tony :)

Hello @Tony Cole

Yes. ESET is good, but you will find that ESET HIPS can be a handful - just like any other classical HIPS - depending upon the settings.

The ESET support forum is rife with user queries, complaints and frustrations regarding the ESS HIPS module.

Some of it is because users don't know how HIPS works - and think ESS HIPS is not working correctly\buggy. Other issues are definite bugs...

Some issues are independent of Windows version while others are version-specific.

On the whole, ESS is a very good product... not quite Kaspersky-grade, but nonetheless worthy of consideration.

There is a learning curve... it shouldn't be too bad for you since ESS is similar to Kaspersky in many respects and you are an avid Kaspersky user.

Just to let you know...

For the time being I would expect that both W10 and any security soft will be "buggy." It will take time to get it all sorted out...

Last edited by a moderator:

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
hi Tony,
Eset is a lesser known company compared to kaspersky but it is also a good product.
After nearly a year using ESET can only recommend it.
many tests place it always very close to kaspersky and Bitdefender, soo it's a very good product for most of the home users.
it's realy light and work well, no complains.
I fully endorse its use.:)

ESET is fully W10 compatible;)

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I am using ESET now, really good stuff. Especially love that the boot time is totally not affected by it and also the real time protection scanning does not affect my system performance one bit!

Also the threats are caught immediately unlike some other AVs that take time to catch threats when they are dropped onto the system.

One thing I really like about it is that they update signatures relatively fast compared to the other companies out there. They are strongly based on signatures with some HIPS modules.

Reactions: conceptualclarity

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have been using ESET since version 2 and ESS since it's original release and have never been infected.It is a great product and runs great on Windows 10.In fact it was the only product I could find that ran without any bugs when Windows 8 was released.
I would have to also give the edge to Kaspersky (2016 is much better and so is the boot time) but IMO you cannot go wrong with ESET.
@Tony Cole if you are using a ESS trial and like it send me a PM ;)

H

hjlbx

You turned on Interactive Mode... not Learning Mode. Learning Mode should allow all activity without alerts until you switch it back - since its purpose is to create Allow rules based upon user behavior. The user "trains" ESS by using the system and ESS creates the rules - so that the user doesn't have to create all those rules manually. It is for greatly improved\optimized user experience (fat chance, we're talking security soft here...).

If Learning Mode is generating tons of alerts on W10 then it is very likely a bug...

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Ah, so how long should I leave it on training mode - should I also do this with the firewall, or leave that setting to automatic?

Reactions: nissimezra
H

hjlbx

Ah, so how long should I leave it on training mode - should I also do this with the firewall, or leave that setting to automatic?

Generally, at least a week.

Don't test malwares while in training mode. Only use the softs that you will use consistently over time. When in training mode it is best not to do a whole lot of new soft evaluation...

For maximum convenience now, use both...

You gotta watch with Training Mode... since it will create Allow rules for everything - which may not necessarily be a good thing even for safe applications since it can place a burden on system resources.

Generic allow rules are better in my experience... so, in that case, Smart and Automatic are best on fairly "static" systems where the user isn't constantly changing softs.

Remember, you can always delete rules and revert to defaults... so it won't sack your system if you play with it in order to explore the full ESS functionality.

Other ESS users will no doubt have different views... so put it out there as MT is the place to get ESS questions answered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Hi!

I will quote from one of my posts:

"These Av-tests company are so funny....only mess with some users minds.

For me are only 4 antivirus that count: Avast,ESET,Kaspersky,Dr. Web.

WHY? For thier to ability process large amounts of data, for thier ability to track malware and develop quick response for it, for thier ability to remove malware, for thier experience in these industry. I trust these companies, i use thier products.
More and more companies trend to provide sophisticated fake service giving a false sense of security and take first place in av-funny tests."

topic: http://malwaretips.com/threads/av-t...ts-in-recent-windows-tests.45584/#post-381840

Now u know why ESET is good....

Reactions: nissimezra

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
ESET would be a very good choice, Tony.
Very light on system resources, although version 8 is a little bit heavier than version 7.
Great signatures, very small size, but, as mentioned above, not quite good on zero-day malware, though HIPS and anti-exploit protection would help at that. I've found it however a bit harsh on PUPs.
Anti-phising protection is probably the best available, so sure bet here.
Strongest point its firewall and IDS system which are top-notch.
Support is very good with timely responses from their team.
You could also follow Umbra's advice on how to set it up and you'll be (hopefully) safe!

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
I will quote from one of my posts:

For me are only 4 antivirus that count: Avast,ESET,Kaspersky,Dr. Web.

WHY? For thier to ability process large amounts of data, for thier ability to track malware and develop quick response for it, for thier ability to remove malware, for thier experience in these industry.

That reads quite similar to what EP_X0FF has written on kernelmode.info, but you've left Microsoft and Symantec out of the equation, he mentioned those as well.

Reactions: Ink and nissimezra

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Protection capabilities are already wise, especially the analysis method to detect threats engaged already with sandbox techniques that runs invisible to your background. ;) Other from its concern, HIPS should check a little while on how it performs since you will be the one provide the custom rules.

D

Deleted member 178

If you cant tighten the HIPS properly, ESET is average. But it was my favorite UI back to v6/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.