ESET & AV-Comparatives

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I've known of this test for sometime:
Some people in the comments are calling ESET utter garbage and if you scroll down you'll see him saying that basically his testing methods are correct, I'm right and you're wrong and frankly, hearing his opinion in the video sounds arrogant to me.

Personally I've never cared for The PC Security Channel's testing methods, he works for Emsisoft now and it seems like nothing is ever good enough to him unless their scoring 100% or of course you're Emsisoft. :cautious:

Soon after I discovered this article from AV-Comparatives: Spotlight on security: Why do AV products score so highly in professional tests? | AV-Comparatives

Marcos also has his take on it: Very poor test result

I too am not overly fond of his tests.

For me it's not so much about how a product scores, but rather his arrogance and his cowardliness to hide behind his followers every time some one challenges him on something. It really is blatantly obvious that he has a list of programs that he likes, along with ones that he does't like. That's totally fine, as everyone has their own lists too, but it is evident in his testing that he does demonstrate bias towards certain products. I mean he really goes out of his way to constantly "prove" that WD is crap (in his mind). Sad part is, it can do well, but somehow his conclusion will still be like " well I still don't recommend it", blah, blah, blah.

Youtube is full of wannabe security experts IMHO. The testing methodology used (including Leo's) really isn't indicative of how to properly test a program. The same methodology that is be used, is the same as it was 10-15 years ago and really hasn't changed. Meanwhile programs, malware and infection vectors have changed, but the testing methodology hasn't IMHO. No one has a random folder full of exe's just randomly appear on their computer with their real-time turned off.

Finally, I do take issue with the fact that he works for a competitor (Emsisoft) and he makes no mention of this during any of his tests. In my view it's only ethically right to have a disclaimer that he does work for a competitor. Nothing against Emsisoft, they are a fantastic company with a great product, but to be honest I am surprised they let him get away with this, at least the ethical part IMO.

Sorry, enough of my rambling, but I just take issue with some of these tests and the fact that some people like Leo act like they know everything and provide false/misleading info to others on how to choose a program.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I too am not overly fond of his tests.
It really is blatantly obvious that he has a list of programs that he likes, along with ones that he does't like... it is evident in his testing that he does demonstrate bias towards certain products. I mean he really goes out of his way to constantly "prove" that WD is crap (in his mind). Sad part is, it can do well, but somehow his conclusion will still be like " well I still don't recommend it", blah, blah, blah.
...I just take issue with some of these tests and... provide false/misleading info to others on how to choose a program.:)

+1 I watched one of his "tests" the other day for the first time re an app I am very familiar with, and his procedures and conclusions were either stupid or intentionally false. FWIW I came back to eset after having tried kaspersky and some others, and I'm very happy with eset. you can find tips on configuring eset at MT and other places.

Khairul

Level 2
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
Hello! I've been using ESET for about 3 years now and I am satisfied with it, I have been infection free so far, but I do tend to watch antivirus ranks on here and on av-comparatives.org. Most recently they did their mobile security review for 2019 and I was deeply disappointed that they didn't include ESET with this one, the last one they were included in was in 2017.

But moving on, I've noticed that ESET hasn't been doing so well in any category here lately, average at best and it's making me reconsider my choice to use them to protect me. When it came up for renewal last year I decided to try Kaspersky for a few months, I like some aspects of it but to me it has too many unnecessary things that I don't care for e.g. VPN, which I know most things can be disabled but whatever happened to the basic fundamentals? In the end it was just too heavy for my computer and the virus signature updates took over 5 minutes to install depending on how long my computer had been turned off which reminded me of how long Emsisoft took to update as well.

Basically my question(s) is should I go by what is knocking malware out of the ball park according to av-comparatives.org and the Malware Hub or just stick with what I know and comfortable with? ESET's real-world protection, malware protection and malware removal is concerning to me: https://www.av-comparatives.org/vendors/eset/windows/

I will still be still be sticking to eset if not for because i have been sponsored by kaspersky endpoint security cloud for our company internal use. ESET is very fast to update new discovered malware. Though just like any other AV, theres no such thing as 100% malware detection in this world. So what you use, if it didnt brought any problem and your system 100% confirmed free of malware, stick to it, no need to change. Besides even though the test result mention eset poor performance issue, back 5 years of usage only eset i found that didnt causes lag to the system and light as much of the feedback on the forum.

So if your system are okey with it, no malware missed, than you better stick with it. Fyi, yes i have seen eset missed a few malware based on my experience while working in cyber security industry, but still its within acceptable range.

throwaway43079

Thread author
Aug 25, 2019
Has anyone seen this before? I was looking for guidance on how to better ESET's settings and came across this: www.networkdefensesolutions.com/index.php/store/system-security-hardening/eset-hardened-configuration

It seems questionable, not to mention you have to pay for it.

• Wow
Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Has anyone seen this before? I was looking for guidance on how to better ESET's settings and came across this: www.networkdefensesolutions.com/index.php/store/system-security-hardening/eset-hardened-configuration

It seems questionable, not to mention you have to pay for it.
Don't bother with that!(n)
Search here for tips:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.