App Review ESET Internet Security 2019 Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Anotación 2018-12-03 134727.jpg
Leo moves the malware folder to the desktop while having ESET protection being fully turned OFF. (check picture above)

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but malware can be triggered by several factors:
  • Manual execution
  • Extraction
  • Moved
  • Scanned
As a plus, we don't have access to see active process to double check if none of the mentioned malware is active at the time he starts his test. Therefore this test is garbage.

ESET should consider implementing Dynamic engine to cope up with their Behavior based protection
Impressive signatures may not be enough!
ESET as a default solution is known to be weak. Luckily it offers hundreds -literally hundreds- of tweaking options. Still if you don't like to configure your product, ESET is not for you.

Check this thread: Q&A - ESET configuration thread

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Leo moves the malware folder to the desktop while having ESET protection being fully turned OFF. (check picture above)

• Manual execution
  • Extraction
  • Moved
  • Scanned
As a plus, we don't have access to see active process to double check if none of the mentioned malware is active at the time he starts his test. Therefore this test is garbage.

Ah another high quality test from Leo. I really question if he knows what he's doing at times. If anything all this proves is to take these tests with a grain of salt, they don't represent the real world.

ESET as a default solution is known to be weak. Luckily it offers hundreds -literally hundreds- of tweaking options. Still if you don't like to configure your product, ESET is not for you.

Check this thread: Q&A - ESET configuration thread

I agree, it's a very capable product, needs a little tweaking, but if you look at all its features as a whole it pretty much covers everything.

razorfancy

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016

• Manual execution
  • Extraction
  • Moved
  • Scanned

Sorry but I have to disagree, he does the same thing for every test and other products got a lot better results + before he start running the script that runs the malware he enable the Eset protection again.

Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 Review

Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 Review

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Therefore this test is garbage.

He disabled the protection to drag the samples folder to the desktop. Before testing, he enabled the protection. Did you watch the whole video or did I miss something? Even if some info is missing (he doesn't show the processes like you said) I think he didn't intentionally manipulate the test.

And besides, you have already said that the product is not good.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
What I mean is that the methodology in this test is not valid, like any other basic test he does. We all know malware does not have to necessarily be manually double clicked in order to run. There's a reason why we do not download malware on our host machine, even if we don't execute it manually. And that's because that malware file can be triggered without double clicking it, for example: when our antivirus scans it, when some tool accesses it, when we extract it or move it. Depending on the coding, several ways a malware can find to be triggered without our explicit consent. I think we all know that, don't we? And that's the simplest reason and argument to explain how antivirus detect and delete files without us even opening it: because they scan before we get to execute, and this can trigger the malware. So, if scanning, moving, extracting, can trigger the malware, and we move a huge malware folder from one place to another, with our real time protection disabled, this can be potentially harmful for our system, can it not? Plus, we all should know that a single active infection can alter the whole testing process and methodology, therefore why we always recommend to test one malware at a time and reset the VM. How can we know this wasn't the case? You may say: Leo always does this and other software performed better. Haven't we all also mentioned all OS are different? Aren't all malware different? Aren't all antivirus different? Don't wanna sound like a fanboy, but all software have their PRO's and CON's. ESET may suck at default settings, but this doesn't make it a bad software, it makes it a suitable software for advanced users. I don't recommend ESET to novices or people who don't wanna deal with alerts, and this is why. But if we're gonna say this methodology is valid then I believe this discussion is over.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Eh, mmhh, yeah. Actually, that's not true unless there is a security hole/bug.
Despite this is true and most attacks of this type will need a bug or vulnerability, there are way(s) which do not rely upon vulnerabilities, such as a library file being dropped somewhere where software can be exploited with binary planting -which cannot be considered as a vulnerability.

Anyways, the fact a vulnerability is required to trigger a malware file doesn't make it an impossible scenario. When you have thousands of cybercriminals looking for bugs and security holes, it's a matter of time since these things occur. And since final users won't know a security hole exists until some researcher publishes it, we shall take this affirmations as valid.

Last edited:

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
ESET is not good as used to be. Even support doesn't care anymore. Once they don't know how to fix problem they just start to ignore emails. I have no idea what is going on with ESET but slowly going to the bottom. I've been their customer for 10+ years and now i'm done with them.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@SumTingWong

I doubt that in this test you evaluate the lightness of the antivirus!

Some people are not even use any antivirus at all, and they manage to keep their computers clean. I rather have a lightness antivirus than heavy usage AV that makes my PC crawl to turtle instantly. No security software can protect you if you are being reckless. Heck, WD is enough for non reckless users.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.