Advice Request Eset IS Network Protection question

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
I am using Eset Internet Security 12.2.29.0 on a 120 day trial. Recently while looking at the Connected Home Monitor I noticed that 2 hours earlier that there was an unknown device on my network with an IP address of 1.1.1.2... It did not give me the full IP address. I opted to click on "remove" to kick off the device since it was did not belong to me.
Since it is a trial, it does not allow me to use the Temporary IP address blacklist. And without having the full IP address I'm not sure how I could add it even if I was allowed to.
How can I protect my network form this device (or any other unknown device). Is the full version of Eset IS enough or is there some other way to prevent this from happening?
I also use Advanced IP Scanner on occasion to check which devices are connected to and using my network. All thoughts and ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
There is no difference in the protection from the trial to the commercial license version, all the features are enabled and configurable.

You should update your router/modem firmware and change the wi-fi and the admin painel passwords, but I doubt its a real threat, maybe ESET is just reporting your own router.

If you see this device again, please take a screenshot ...

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
There is no difference in the protection from the trial to the commercial license version, all the features are enabled and configurable.

I am using the 120 day trial that was from PC World and listed here on MT on September 8th. The link is listed as being from eset.com/de/pcwelt-EIS/
When I go to the network protection tab and click on temporary IP address blacklist it will not allow me to add any info and the buttons at the bottom are all greyed out and unusable.
When I scan the network using the Connected Home Monitor it does list my modem and the rest of my devices (when I use Advanced IP Scanner it lists the exact same devices) The only difference is that network protection troubleshooting in Eset only lists the recently blocked communications for up to the last hour.
At the moment I'm not too concerned and will keep an eye out for the unknown device.
The modem is inside the a closet wall and is a major pain to access.
I will take a screenshot if/when it does appear again.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

You should update your router/modem firmware and change the wi-fi and the admin painel passwords, but I doubt its a real threat, maybe ESET is just reporting your own router.

If you see this device again, please take a screenshot ...
ESET was really chatty about certain devices on my network. Some devices will use unique IP addresses when implementing WiFi Direct. None of them turned out to be malicious, but ESET definitely brought them to my attention.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.