ESET Mobile Security for Android vs. Lookout Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
I wanted to get any suggestions/tips on the pros/cons between these two. I get both for free. Need to decide which one to use. I am on Android 4.4.2 (T-Mobile :/). \

Priorities are Security (real-time/file and app), usability, battery drain, anti-theft and performance.

I would need to uninstall Lookout and attempt to remove traces (it's pre-installed on the phone).

I am leaning towards ESET. Any feedback?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hello @soccer97,

I don't know about Lookout security on Android but I can tell you that ESET is very good:
  • Customizable settings like scheduled scans
  • Automatic signature updates (min. interval: every 6 hours)
  • Integrated anti-theft with many useful settings
  • SMS/MMS and call blocking
  • Low battery usage (I can confirm it)
  • Device Monitoring of important settings
  • PUPs detection
  • On-charger scan
  • USSD vulnerability protection
...and so on... :)

Get all mentioned features with Premium license.

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Hello @soccer97,

I don't know about Lookout security on Android but I can tell you that ESET is very good:
  • Custmizable settings like scheduled scans
  • Automatic signature updates (min. interval: every 6 hours)
  • Integrated anti-theft with many useful settings
  • SMS/MMS and call blocking
  • Low battery usage (I can confirm it)
  • Device Monitoring of important settings
  • PUPs detection
  • On-charger scan
  • USSD vulnerability protection
...and so on... :)

Get all mentioned features with Premium license.

Regards,
Kardo

Does it have "Secure Browsing" or the like? in otherwords a database of malicious sites that it will block in Android Browser and Chrome? - I do know about the phishing filter.

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Does it have "Secure Browsing" or the like? in otherwords a database of malicious sites that it will block in Android Browser and Chrome? - I do know about the phishing filter.
yes it has web protection... for me you can choose eset is almost light.... in the other hand i have no complains about lookout but i believe eset is much better :D

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's easier to compare each, but trying them can provide better feedback for yourself.

ESET Free vs Premium - http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/mobile-security-android/
Lookout Free for Android/iOS Features - https://www.lookout.com/features
Lookout Premium Android/iOS Features - https://www.lookout.com/premium

I personally, have a Lookout account for up to 2 devices (unless that's changed)

How Lookout Mobile Security Platform works, https://www.lookout.com/mobile-security-technology

ESET Mobile Security for Android currently has an 50% off promo,

Reactions: soccer97

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Thank you guys for your advice. With the exception of no backup capabilities, ESET Mobile Security for Android is awesome. I am glad I switched.

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What backup capabilities were you expecting, or in search of?

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Lookout backed up Phone Call Logs and Contacts. It is not a huge loss. Within seconds of activating the lock device call on ESET, the device is locked. I was very impressed.

I have got to get back to studying for final exams now. Thanks for your help!

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Looking at it for dad's android phone now. He has a company phone that needs an AV/Anti-theft app, which they do not provide. Enough said. Any suggestions for free or cheap? I wish I had told him about the ESET Mobile Security for Android giveaway on black friday. Regardless, any suggestions for a reputable security/Anti-theft program are appreciated. My dad is older and sometimes some extra help with technology, including why you need a security app. The sooner the response the better. His app updates are about 6 months behind :/

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@soccer97: Actually besides of ESET, other known well AV's like Avast, Avira, Kaspersky and many more. There are well known on those components; especially in anti-theft feature where it must be complete from remote wipe, alarm, and sending message to the assigned number that was known to be stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.