ESET Nod32 not updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
What kind of rule(s) would you like to make for Windows firewall ?
Did you confirm with Ad-aware FW off, and windows off, that you can ping eset update servers ?

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Not for 60 seconds to find out if turning off ad-aware resolved your issue and allows you to get signature updates.
Even so, with windows firewall turned on, and with default settings you should still be able to get updates, most outgoing traffic is allowed that you initiate. Its the outgoing not initiated by you that windows firewall will block or ask first.
Unless you suspect you have malware. If so i would run a scan with ESET online scanner first if possible.

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Very nice. Glad you are up and running, get the latest definitions, then run a Smart scan. ;)

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Try the very first steps we suggested again.
Clear the update cache. Try again.
Restart the computer. Try again.

If no go, it might be because you have drivers lingering for the firewall or similar other security products.
My favorite way to examine drivers is using ESET's built in Sysinspector.
Its in the Tools section of the Home Menu

Once loaded you can click on drivers and see if you have any still existing from other third party vendors.
I will provide a screen shot momentarily.

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/d546/ph5cgncc4gihgf76g.jpg

If you click on the "start" tab across the top you can put all the drivers that turn on at startup at the very top. :D

Last edited:

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Try the very first steps we suggested again.
Clear the update cache. Try again.
Restart the computer. Try again.

If no go, it might be because you have drivers lingering for the firewall or similar other security products.
My favorite way to examine drivers is using ESET's built in Sysinspector.
Its in the Tools section of the Home Menu

Once loaded you can click on drivers and see if you have any still existing from other third party vendors.
I will provide a screen shot momentarily.

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/d546/ph5cgncc4gihgf76g.jpg
Followed but still not working. Sysinspector is loading right now. Update later.
Update: How to use ?! :oops:

Last edited:

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
If you still have issues and don't see any drivers causing an issue, yet you can ping update.eset.com through command prompt.
I would try to reinstall your ESET product, or possibly a Repair through "Programs and Features".

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
If you still have issues and don't see any drivers causing an issue, yet you can ping update.eset.com through command prompt.
I would try to reinstall your ESET product, or possibly a Repair through "Programs and Features".
Uninstalled and Reinstalled, but still have issue.
Also still connected.

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Has to be a driver or malware. If i had money i would put it on driver from firewall(s).
Can you confirm that you ARE able to ping the update servers from cmd prompt now ?

Sysinspector is simply a tool to view the system in a nice and neat format.
I would select drivers, and look at the file description of each driver.

Since you just removed ad-aware. Have you tried manually removing ?
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Okay good, so its ESET corruption (You stated you reinstalled already though) or driver blocking.
After reinstall did you make sure ESET settings in advanced update are set to "Do Not use proxy"
Still may be malware lingering too. :(

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Hitmanpro is very good at finding hidden proxies. You could try running that as well.
However if it finds one, or anything at all. I would probably need to stop here and defer you to post in the Malware Removal forum and wait for TwinHeadedEagle to reply. :oops:

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
In the meantime, I actually don't need NOD32 for signatures, can you please show me how to stop ESET from showing the yellow icon because I can't update, and instead show the green maximum protection instead?

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
You will not be able to switch to green without a proper update to the latest definitions. Unfortunately there is still some files on your computer preventing ESET from updating.
Don't forget you have free support from ESET with a valid signature.
You can make your way to helpus.eset.com or by phone to have them troubleshoot what is causing the update failure.
However they are most likely going to walk you through the same steps i did.
If you only disabled ad-aware, then that is why you cant update. You must delete firewall drivers, and all of them if that is what is causing the issue, unless its existing malware(which i doubt if hitman says no malware found).
You could always try to run an Online scan with ESET and see if your definitions filter through http using the online scanner. :)
Sorry for your troubles Chromatinfish :(

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Awesome, i knew it was a driver.
Yay you're working now !!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.