Not open for further replies.

Durden

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
Hello people
My Norton subscription is approaching it's end .. and I'd like to see your opinions about whether should subscribe next to Norton or switch to ESET, given that I've tried ESET many times before and it has always worked well for me... also Norton worked well for me as well, so performance is not an issue here.
So, regarding every other aspect , which one do u think deserve my choice ?

but please before anyone post anything , I have some requests ..
1) First of all I don't want "fanboys" comments
2) second of all , and this is of most importance for me , if ESET is your suggestion please bare in mind that I'm not going to manually configure HIPs nor would I put it in learning mode, I will leave it at default setting, so please don't suggest ESET based solely on that .

And actually as a third bonus option, I'm considering Emsisoft IS also if you think that it'll be a better choice than the above options.

thank you ;)

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Hello, I have almost on the same scenario, I have licenses for ESET, Norton and Emsisoft IS. All depends on type of device or the use.
I use Norton for desktop because it depends almost in the cloud. (And I use the backup función)
I use ESET and Emsisoft on laptops but on default settings I think Emsisoft offers better protection than ESET, I have see it with USB malware that on my region is a common threat.
Emsisoft could be a little heavy at boot (you can disable the option that starts before the lig in) but when you are surfing, working or playing online it has an awesome performance than the others 2
Plus: you can use custom host to block ads on the entire OS (I use steven Black hosts)

So, overall my advice is Emsisoft.

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
EIS over the three and Kaspersky, in my opinion. Honestly, Emsisoft has the lightest internet security I have ever installed on any system. Their protection/BB is top notch too.

ESET used to be my favourite on Windows 7/8, but Emsisoft has taken over for Windows 10.

For what it's worth, I would choose Norton over ESET as well at the moment. Norton has good protection, however sometimes too unnecessarily aggressive on default settings (blocking software like Adwcleaner/Tweaking.com AIO Repair/RKill/ZAM Portable).

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
if it's all about default settings and protection, you may see Malware Hub, comparing those 3 top notch product from days to days tests with default settings which have been done by MT AV tester and draw graphical result, you may see which suits your interest

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Over the last 16 years or so I have used 3 programs.ESET,Kaspersky and AVAST as well as Emsisoft Internet Security in recent years as a complete suite and with OA & EAM.
All have never failed me.
ESET is very good as is Norton.Since you have used Norton and ESET already I would say test Emsisoft and see for yourself.
I use different AV's on different machines for different purposes.
EIS has progressively improved in both less frequent updates and boot times.IMO protection has always been very good.
Beta tested ESET 10 and like it better than version 9.Depending on what you are doing most will be fine with default settings.
Kaspersky has also improved and became much lighter in version 2016 with boot times not being a factor as in previous versions.
2017 is better than 2016 and worth a try if you are considering it.Once again depending on what your doing Kaspersky is good for most out of the box.
Performance is also going to depend on your machine.

I like to go by the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" train of thought.Since you know what your getting with Norton & ESET I would say give Emsisoft Internet Security a whirl and see how you like it.Try before you buy ;)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Difficult choice:)The two are great products, high level of detections and light. If you have two or more PCs then use the two, it would be an advantage.As many would tell you, Eset needs a little amount of tweaks to be optimum. Norton you can set and forget it. If you are more into modifying settings and the like, use Eset, if not use Norton. If you can, use the two on different machines. Or as Exterminator said, you may try Emsisoft, it's already well configured and excellent in pro-active detection and blocking.

As a last solution, draw a short straw :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.