Advice Request ESET Premium & firewall

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I'm on win10 22H2 same panel gray left side, there is no listing for firewall! It goes from Account protection to App & browser control! When I go to Security Providers screen it does list Firewall No providers. Just ended a chat with support, tech avoided my question about this, but was emphatic that windows firewall should be off.
EDIT I think (suspect) that my windows firewall is more than off...:unsure:
Windows 10 and 11 have different Windows Security GUI. If you are not interested in finding out what could cause the problem, you can try reinstalling EIS and see if this solves the problem. If you want to know what's the cause then I hope that you soon get reply from their support.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Windows 10 and 11 have different Windows Security GUI. If you are not interested in finding out what could cause the problem, you can try reinstalling EIS and see if this solves the problem. If you want to know what's the cause then I hope that you soon get reply from their support.
I'd like to know the cause, BUT have no desire to reinstall ESET SS Premium. fwiw, I have win10_VM and the display is similar to yours where Firewall is listed as you show. I'm reading about some issues with ESET firewall and win10, almost easier to shift gears and use AV like F-Secure that uses windows firewall. Maybe even MS Defender with Voodooshield...

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Long story seriously shortened... after short support chat with ESET, and several hours support chatting with 2 microsoft techs, both of whom logged into my win10, my Windows Defender Firewall Service could NOT be started. ESET said this a non-issue in the sense that although ESET worked with windows firewall service enabled, if it wasn't that's ok, you are still protected by ESET. Ok, but... ESET said to contact MS support to start the firewall service. Ok! MS concluded that ESET SS Premium had borked the windows firewall, and we mutually decided to uninstall ESET (I can always reinstall it, or NOT!). MS then did a win10 In-Place Upgrade, and that fixed the windows firewall, but not without some snafu's. :oops: The funny part of the story, MS tech2 closed Edge, and opened Chrome to download a win10 iso, I was watching the screen and she seemed irritated with Edge. Made me chuckle amid the chaos of a windows semi-redo. Started at 200pm finished 930pm. It will be another day or two hopefully before the new snafu's are fixed...

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
After having small problems over the last few days, slowdown of pages, internet slowdown etc but nothing major I removed ESET SS & installed Emsisoft & all seems well - Whether there was a problem with ESET I don't know as I've had little time but the old idea 'substitution' seemed to work - I can revert to ESET at some point but I like Emsisoft anyway :eek:
:eek:

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
If you check ESET forums, there seems to be all sorts of trouble with their firewall after the latest software update. To say users are unhappy is an understatement.

From the looks of it, they rushed the firewall overhaul and left a lot left undone to be fixed later. And these bugs apply to their Endpoint products as well, not only home editions.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I haven't had time or inclination to trawl through the forum as it usually inhabited with annoyed & angry people - I did notice this thread, which was helpful & moving to Emsisoft has seemly solved the problem (time will tell) - Looks like at this point something wrong with ESET, glad I have alternatives to turn to. I'll have a look on the forum and see what's happening after a beer or so :cautious:
:cautious:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.