ESET Smart Security 8 (Test by Av Gurus)

Product name
ESET Smart Security 8

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Here are my video test, in 3 parts, of ESET Smart Security 8.

SUMMARY:
- quick and easy installation (about 2min)
- PUA enabled on installation
- just 2 process
- AMTSO test
- not slowing OS
- RAM usage (about 120MB)
- 330MB HDD space
- first PC scan (about 14min)
- boot time increase by 15sec
- self defence (1/2)
- Phishing URL 5/10 (50%)
- Malware URL 15/15 (100%)
- Malware folder scan/clean take 2:40min
- Malware folder 352/365 (96,43%)
- 2 active malware process
- HitmanPro found 2 malware in Roaming
- Malwarebytes found 3 malware

ESET Smart Security 8 - Part 1 (Installation & First Look)

ESET Smart Security 8 - Part 2 (Synthetic Test)

>ESET Smart Security 8 - Part 3 (Malware & Phishing Test)<
This test is done again, please watch next video not this one!

UPDATE:
Here are new Re-Test of Part 3 (Malware & Phishing Test)

ESET Smart Security 8 - Part 3 (Malware & Phishing Test) (Re-Test)

Last edited:

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
The Bad:
- RAM usage (about 120MB) - It is low usage in comparison with other products. ESET memory usage ~ 100 MB
- 330MB HDD space - It is very low usage in comparison with other products. (for example -BitDefender:D)
- first PC scan (about 14min) - It is very fast;)
- boot time increase by 15sec - does not differ considerably, over time can be reduced
- synthetic test - this is a joke:D
- self defence (1/2) - Use the advanced settings HIPS( rules)

Rating:
3 Stars (Good)

rating-star.png

:D

virussign? - it is garbage
malware test - not performed restart / Disk Cleanup - not start| temporary directory , etc

Last edited:

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
...and this?

- malware folder 407/550 (74%)
- malware on system

Sample are from here and Virussign.
That malware folder where tested with Emsisoft AM before test and it find all of them.
Are you sure that they are a threat?:D
malware test - not performed restart / Disk Cleanup - not start| temporary directory , etc

Reactions: MalwareT

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Did you watch video?
I did restart, clean with CCleaner...

Reactions: Logethica

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
The Bad:
- RAM usage (about 120MB) - It is low usage in comparison with other products. ESET memory usage ~ 100 MB
- 330MB HDD space - It is very low usage in comparison with other products. (for example -BitDefender:D)
- first PC scan (about 14min) - It is very fast;)
- boot time increase by 15sec - does not differ considerably, over time can be reduced
- synthetic test - this is a joke:D
- self defence (1/2) - Use the advanced settings HIPS( rules)

Rating:
3 Stars (Good)

View attachment 54878
:D

virussign? - it is garbage

1) it is very high, since in others build you never see numbers beyond 80 mb, however i think that when the program is idle those numbers decrease.
2) for a product that loads it entire engine in ram and also considering older version, 300 is still tooooo high.
3) emsi quick scans takes less than 2 minutes, may be 1 in a fast pc. (on my end 1:28)
4) again in older version at least for me i didnt notice that ESET was running in my pc
5) we all know that eset does nothing without signatures, once malware is FUD, eset cant do almost nothing against it...
6) eset is pretty useless against hijacking attacks even with HIPS on

Most of user doesnt know what a HIPS is and also most of user just leave the out of box settings... so in that way eset will fail (...)

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
@Av Gurus, you can see the detection rate of ESET by daily virus xchange on MT. Here, Eset is doing far better than many other antivirus.
And one suggestion too, while doing detection test, do the same sample scan with other AV so that everyone can see the difference.

@gricardo21 every good AV with many advantages has some limitations. Your Quick Scan also depends on your AV areas of scanning, so you can't judge it by seeing time only without any analysis.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
If someone wish to check malware folder here is the link for download:
Link removed by moderator

Here are the same folder scan with Emsisoft

Clipboard01.png
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard03.png

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014

@gricardo21 every good AV with many advantages has some limitations. Your Quick Scan also depends on your AV areas of scanning, so you can't judge it by seeing time only without any analysis.

it is true... my point is that there are some other sol that doesnt take too much while scanning, however eset scans within files archives and this could be the reason...

PST: i think someone is a fanboy who doesnt want to admit that eset is heavier in every new build... i was eset user since i can remember...

go to AV-test and see where eset is... :D

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Eset scan and clean files at the same time, while others just scan and clean after.
Eset scanner is generaly fast.
And once more Eset proves that is a top program detecting phishing & malware url.
As about malware detection nothing can beat Eset or Qihoo. Maybe in some packs other AV have more detection but in general Eset & Qihoo are in the top.
Not to mention that Eset has more fast updates to 0 day malware than other vendors, and an excellent support team.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
  1. Antivirus RAM usage isn't in correlation with speed of the system. (Unless you have 256 or 512mb of RAM). But CPU release system, intensive cashing of processes, unpacking files, sandboxing and emulation systems does
  2. 300mb on the HDD is nothing, compared to the other AVs which can take over 1GB of space. System wont slow down. Unless if there is a very little space on the HDD or the HDD is heavily fragmented.
  3. ESET actually can catch a new malware with Smart Sense Technology when you run it. It will say "Probably a variant of win32XYZ etc". But if you trying to search for a zeroday malware (in real world, no test), than enable HIPS in interactive mode, enable advanced heuristics... and still... one day some malware will pass through...
  4. Scanning speed is pretty fast on ESET, and as above mentioned, it matters what scanner is scanning. If you do a custom scan and scan operating memory and system32 it will do it faster. Other AV's call that "Fast Scan" or whatever...
  5. About detection ratio I won't comment, it's ridiculous.
It's always nice to see what AV program can do in certain period of time, on certain machine and with a specific malware. I just don't want that people here make general conclusions taking these tests as a facts.
Thanks @Av Gurus for the test :)

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
This "Good"/ "Bad" is already a bit old way and I know that, today is no longer a much 100MB RAM when one browser (Firefox, Chrome ...) occupies more than 500MB.
Probably most people today have a strong and fast PC with lots of places on the HDD but what are you going to advise someone with an old PC with a CPU that has one core and 1GB of RAM if you do not know how much an AV program occupies.

I think I'll skip in the future writing "Good"/ "Bad" and I'll just write the facts and let people decide what is "good" and what is "Bad" for them.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Probably most people today have a strong and fast PC with lots of places on the HDD but what are you going to advise someone with an old PC with a CPU that has one core and 1GB of RAM if you do not know how much an AV program occupies.
ESET would run fluently on that system also :)
I think I'll skip in the future writing "Good"/ "Bad" and I'll just write the facts and let people decide what is "good" and what is "Bad" for them.
Please don't. Reviews and tests are just personal interpretations. Opinions are welcomed, and critics are inevitable ;)

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
ESET has proved to me to be the lightest on my computer performance, even when I'm running a good computer, other's did perform bad. Performance also means using more system resources to a point where it actually gives you better performance. A x64 web browser using more ram than a x32 doesn't mean it's bad, actually better. My ESET runs better than all major competitors on a 8GB ram machine.

Reactions: Cehson

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I think I will do re-test of this Part 3 because it is not made as it should be.
I want my tests be faithful and correctly made.

Reactions: Logethica and MikeV

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.