Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
ESET Social Media Scanner
Free Facebook App | No installation needed
http://www.eset.com/us/social-media-scanner
https://apps.facebook.com/eset-socmedscan

Get it Now
View Product Gallery

Spend your time sharing photos, comments and favorite links with your friends on Facebook without worries.

ESET Social Media Scanner protects your profile from malicious content by providing Facebook security scans of your wall, newsfeed and private messages.

Features:
- Secure 24/7
- Protect yourself and your friends

Optional:
- Free Online Scanner :bravo:

As with any ESET products a clean & simple UI. I much prefer this to Norton, Bitdefender or F-Secure. Kudos to ESET for this wonderful product, and promoting their Free Online Scanner.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Even though I am not a social media person this is a very nice product.Nice find by the way :)

D

Deleted member 178

included in NOD32 or ESS, i put some screenshots in my review of Nod32, i installed it on Facebook and it works quite well, detected 2 suspicious links.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I saw it in your Review, but no mention of it being free. You could add it as a Pro. :D

P

Plexx

For those wondering how exactly the Facebook app works, I installed it in my profile just to grab screenies since I do not agree with their permissions request (see 3rd spoiler entry):

When you first add the app:

XseLZgE.png

Permissions request:

WMhrWwm.png

If you choose not to grant access to all 3 permissions, you will keep having a popup requesting permissions (Something it put me off completely):

qhc6ZXD.png

Once you have allowed all the 3 permissions request, the App is now available in your Facebook profile:

cIfzsAx.png

These are the Settings, available in the Settings tab of the App:

8vBZpQi.png

When you click on Run Profile Scan, the following appears:

aIJAzIc.png

If you click on Scan My Computer, ESET Online Scanner will open in a new window (in my case, I do not have it installed so it ass to download the relevant file, otherwise it would start the online scanner:

SyvnS6K.png

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Security App of the Week: ESET’s Social Media Scanner for Facebook

Security-App-of-the-Week-ESET-s-Social-Media-Scanner-for-Facebook.png

Social media websites are becoming flooded with all sorts of malicious posts. The more popular a site is, the more likely it is that the interesting-looking posts we click on are actually part of a cybercriminal scheme.

Facebook users who want to make sure they’re protected while surfing the website can now turn to ESET’s Social Media Scanner, a free app that secures the contents of your timeline, newsfeed and even private messages against cyber threats.

Launched along with ESET NOD32 Antivirus and ESET Smart Security 6, Social Media Scanner checks your Facebook account for threats even if you’re not logged in.

Once it detects anything malicious, it informs you via email and instructs you on what action must be taken to clean your profile.

ESET Social Media Scanner is connected to the security firm’s LiveGrid service, a cloud-based real-time protection scanner that’s capable of detecting online threats and social media exploits.

Source

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Security App of the Week: ESET’s Social Media Scanner for Facebook

I swear there was a thread about this...

N

Nige_40

RE: Security App of the Week: ESET’s Social Media Scanner for Facebook

McLovin said:
I swear there was a thread about this...

It must of been buried deep into the forum database :)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Removing it, will create an email:

HY8HnlV.png

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
How does this compared to ZoneAlarm Privacy Scan for Facebook?

I tried to install ESET Social Media Scanner but I keep getting the error:

Code:
Session problem detected

For the proper functionality of ESET Social Media Scanner, it is required that you enable third-party cookies in your browser settings.

Third-party cookies are enabled, I even whitelist the site in both Ghostery and Adblock Plus on Firefox and still just get this error, however ZoneAlarm Privacy Scan is working just fine. I can't figure it out, it also did the same with IE10 and Google Chrome.

Could it be because I have the no tracking options enabled in my browsers?

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

It works fine for me, but i don't have Ghostery and for ADB+ i just use easylist

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I do have 3rd-party Cookies blocked, but after I allowed ESET cookies, it worked fine.

I do like ZA Facebook App, because it gives me a personal score. The other security Apps aren't that clear, or are concentrated on infected FB posts.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Me too, there is a problem exist about the third party cookies but I think I've toggled something to IE 10 like protected mode thus might trouble on :lol:

But I will gonna add this to my Facebook as a part of monitoring report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.