Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
NIS2011

Reason: Good Antivirus, features especially the Download Insight and the sonar, the interface is user friendly and easy to configure it.

I used this NIS 2011 before

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011
I've had all three (ESS was v3 at the time and KIS was 2009 & 2010) for extended periods of time.

1) ESET: I liked the simplicity and no nonsense gui. I had pretty much settled in to keep it for a long time when one day weird things started going on that ESET could not get rid of and I at the time had no idea what to do, so had a co-worker format had to start from scratch. This was the time I started to get interested in PC security. Good Bye ESET.

2) KIS: I never really liked the thunderous number of settings that KIS has to offer, just a little too complicated for us normal folks. Had KIS for well over a year and nothing ever came close to getting through to my PC that I was aware of. KIS was just so heavy and slowed things down. I gave up on that being resolved. Good Bye KIS

3) NIS): The gui of NIS is a little flashy for my taste but not too bad.
The number of settings are numerous but not overwhelming. NIS is the kind of program you can pretty much set it and forget it. It does run background task a lot but I look at that as staying on the job. Just as with KIS I feel very secure with NIS and my PC runs like a champ. Hello NIS!!

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I have tried all three and i like ESS 4 the best.
It's simple, old-fashioned antivirus without the fill-"features" the others have (facebook scan... really?!).

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I was also curious to see what it does. It checks links on your facebook account using Norton Safe Web. If someone posts something containing a link to a malicious site that Norton Safe Web knows about on your wall (for example) you'll probably get notified...or something like that. All this is done with a facebook application, compared to other fb apps, this one is not a useless feature but the publicity Norton gets from this could be significant.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
I have been on FB for 3 years now and never seen ANY malicious sites posted. Just dumb stupid stuff. KIS wins as far as features and strength. NIS wins as far as simplicity. And as far as Eset....................I dont see it winning anything actually. LOL.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Actually there are allot of phishing sites "promoted" on facebook (or allot of news about them, at least). Anyway, you don't need NIS for that app. I'll probably vote for KIS (personal opinion) but NIS is also a great suite and as you said it is extremely simple to use while still providing good protection.

off-topic: Shameful promotion of MalwareTips Facebook Page

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Good topic.

Eset seems to be ,for some unkwon reason to me , very popular.
I've written a quick review on ESS 4 - here. :D

NIS is perhaps the most inovative security suite on the market , incorporating into it the lastet technologies in malware prevention.
Also written a review for it - here

KIS :
The main problem that everyone has with KIS is in the 'System Impact" area... but to be fair since build 556 I didn't notice any slow down on my system....It might just be me... I really don't know.
KIS comes with a lot of features but the one that I like more is got to be "Application Control" ,this HIPS is probably the best HIPS on the market...very userfriendly in all aspects and with a solid whitelist.
Didn't write a review for KIS 2011 yet but I will soon :D ...

So where my vote goes ? ...... If I had to recommend a suite for someone I would say : NIS 2011..........................but If I had to buy one for me .... KIS 2011 would be my chooice :D

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Norton Internet Security 2011
For many reasons stated above but mostly due to the ease of use for pretty much everyone and its low resource usage.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For me personally, I would choose Eset Smart Security. I have used it before and loved the simplicity, lightness and transparency it was on the system.

Assuming Kaspersky's Sandbox feature is not set by default for computer users to use.
Norton would be the better option, in the case for most PC users. Though I dislike the fact they have a toolbar (not a bad thing, but prefer it without a set search engine).

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Depends what you are looking for. NIS and KIS are dead even to me but KIS has more features. OFN is a web based only program. You can only view the logs or change the OFN settings from logging into the OFN site. KIS has everything built into it including a sandbox and online banking mode. If you want to lock your computer down tight then go with KIS. NIS can be lighter on older systems and easier to use for the newbie. NIS's detection rate according to MRG is pretty good but Sonar is detection most malware and not the signatures.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Thanks for your comparison. "If you want to lock your computer down tight then go with KIS". I feel the same way and so far resource usage seems OK with KIS.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Did you have a very long update after initial install? I hate the all green GUI though. But its very well laid out.

KIS tip:................Set unknowns to "high restricted" and enable notifications for programs which are placed under restrictions. That way there you get a notification when some exe is sent to prison. LOL.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Kaspersky has multiple update servers around the world. So besides that first update, future updates should be fast for everyone. I did use those settings, although I'm probably exaggerating since I am also using a LUA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.