Battle ESS 9 or Bitdefender IS 2016

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
I choose Bitdefender because it has strong signatures and zero day protections. Unlike ESET, its signature is really good and it between Avira and Bitdefender level, but its zero day protections is somewhere not really strong like Kaspersky or Bitdefender.

Reactions: Butterfly

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
When it comes to the second backup preferences when traditional techniques and clouds where bypass then Bitdefender as an edge through AVC. Whereas ESET needs a custom tweak for their HIPS as it relies much on signatures/common stuffs.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I chose ESS. Only thing Bitdefender has a real edge in is automated zero day and maybe a good bit more detection of malware and not so good in adware whereas ESET is strong in adware and just good or sometimes great at malware detection. ESET is also far lighter on the system and isn't nearly as buggy as Bitdefender. ESET is more of a product for those who enjoy user intervention and those who enjoy tweaking. Bitdefender is mostly for automation of protection which means novices can use it without worries of being asked what to do.

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
For me none of the two,because ESET 9 has a lot of mistakes to an end and Bitdefender 2016 delays a lot the navigation.

Kis
Avira
Eset 8
Emsisoft

Smoke

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2014
I've only ever tried Bitdefender twice, the first time it slowed my system down quite badly and then when I got a more powerful machine I tried it again but the slowdown was still noticeable so I haven't used it since. ESET however is one of the fastest AV suites I've ever used.

Emsisoft IS is also a brilliant product IMO.

My vote is for ESET out of those two.

H

hjlbx

Bitdefender can be good - if - it works properly.

How BD works is not clear from the deceptively simple user interface. Best for powerful laptop using Auto Pilot mode.

As far as I am concerned, it is way too buggy for typical users. The bugs are more than an annoyance.

ESET 9 will provide just as good protection if you learn how to use it.

It comes down to which one works best on your specific system and for you personally.

Reactions: Hangtooth

Khairul

Level 2
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
ESET is the simplest straight forward interface i ever used. When against Bitdefender, the zero day detection will go to bitdefender, however buggy software and complicated interface are quite bad for me. Thus ESET still the best option even for a noob. Really easy configuration.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I must LEARN how to use ESS 9?
Only thing you need to learn in ESET is the HIPS configuration (Policy Based Mode) and its Firewall component rules.

That aside, you don't even need to tweak anything for decent protection.

Now on topic: ESET vs BitDefender:
Both have their pros and cons.

No point asking which one is better as everyone will be bias towards one or another, even if we try to give our personal opinion.

Best way to answer that question is the same way used for other A vs B antivirus threads: try it both for a period of time and see which one you prefer.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
For me personally, it Eset already tried several times and always Bitdefender slowed down my system and not to mention browsing, also my voice to Eset.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I used Bitdefender in 2013,2014 and 2015 a bit.
In 2015 I meet ESET and I say : Bitdefender never again.
despite Bitdefender has a good zero- day protection I noted that ESET version 9 block some unknown threats, without signatures ( in my tests)
ESET is light and has a great engine so, why not give ESET a chance?

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
ESS works great for my 77 year old father right out of the box. He's been using it 6-7 years now and the only problem he's had was when he forgot to renew in time and they gave him the runaround on the phone for days.

He doesn't know much about computers (but has a MSc in Chem Engineering) and can barely program a VCR, not that we have those anymore ~ When picking an AV for him Eset was the best at the time and has served him well for years with no tweaking.

It's nice not to get calls from across the country asking me how to deal with the latest infestation =)

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.